Reload this Page >

Move from UK to Australia

Move from UK to Australia

Old Jan 21st 2012, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

gburns72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Move from UK to Australia

Hi

We moved from the UK to Australia approximately 2 years ago. We had been traveling to Australia for over 10 years with two of our children who were young and in year 2 and 4 when we decided that we thought this would work well. My husband had a great salary and keeping everything in mind ( size of houses & not to forget the weather!!) we thought it would work well with all of us .

Unfortunately we have decided this year to return back to the UK. I have to say, that the general attitude of the British people was always about respecting , but within Australia its all the " Aussie Way " . We had friends visiting from the UK and their children even though attend a normal state school completely outdid our children in terms of their general knowledge, way of talking, maths , English and respect for victims of world war 1 and 2/soldiers

I am not saying that Australia is horrendous - not at all , but we always had the vision that ony those people immgirate to the Australia from the UK want more time with family, less tax, cheaper living and more the outdoors. For us , even though we have a gorgeous house, children going to a brilliant school , it is still very weak in terms of culture, respect and tolerance. As Australia is made up of all different cultures and backgrounds, their is not one basic culture and hae made this Aussie way, where these different immigrants have made their residents.

We also decided to move to an area where majority were British ( after australians ) , and many have slowly moved back to the UK to start from scratch ( after selling everything they had to come here ) , and unfortunately we also have to do that. We are gutted as we are going back to scratch , but it was not worth it.

I guess Australia would work for people who came from a struggled background or from a country where the nation itself did nothing for them, but i think Britians / english are generally quiet, patient , and mind their own business. If people do move, i think you should not burn your bridges completely as personally it has hit us extremely hard.

Our kids are going to be approximately a year behind , yes they are great in sports, and now as they are in grade 4 and grade 6 and financially we can only afford certain houses, means our family has taken a severe hit. My husband is struggling now as well to move back to the UK as his job is not willing to give him a transfer and he might have to stay in Australia till something works out while I take the children back.

Again , if you are young or old without kids then i would say chance it , but if you are climbing in on age like we were ( 38 and 42 ) , and having wasted 3 years to go back to square one, it is not worth the huge risk as it has cost us our childrens future.

Apologies if this has come across negatively to the Australians , but this is more directed towards our expats / english / British.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Move from UK to Australia

I'm glad to see theres a 'lack' of tolerance to a point and pushing the 'aussie way'. Go back to the uk where they are starting to ban things like st. George's day and flags incase it offends minorities! As the aussies have said, if you want to live here live as we do. The uk has lost the bloody plot now with PC rubbish, I for one will be glad to leave it behind.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Also your kids are what you make them. It's not down to the school soley.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gburns72
Hi

I guess Australia would work for people who came from a struggled background or from a country where the nation itself did nothing for them.
Rubbish. People from various countries/background successfully make the change work.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:57 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt you're English, I suspect a troll. Your written English (spelling and grammar) read like someone who has English as a second language. Just my opinion.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gburns72
Hi

Unfortunately we have decided this year to return back to the UK. <snip>
Again , if you are young or old without kids then i would say chance it , but if you are climbing in on age like we were ( 38 and 42 ) , and having wasted 3 years to go back to square one, it is not worth the huge risk as it has cost us our childrens future.
A salutary tale. It doesn't work for everyone. You should expect to get slaughtered for this post, but what the Hell.

Good luck with your return to the UK.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I have many Australian friends who are intelligent and hold down high powered jobs with high powered salaries - and all this on an Australian education!!!!!
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:04 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I'm glad to see theres a 'lack' of tolerance to a point and pushing the 'aussie way'. Go back to the uk where they are starting to ban things like st. George's day and flags incase it offends minorities! As the aussies have said, if you want to live here live as we do. The uk has lost the bloody plot now with PC rubbish, I for one will be glad to leave it behind.
I think you may be in for quite a shock

This is the ultimate nanny state
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:21 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
I doubt you're English, I suspect a troll. Your written English (spelling and grammar) read like someone who has English as a second language. Just my opinion.
Why would you accuse someone of being a troll? I can't see anything to suggest that? It just seems sad they've lost their savings and are starting again.

The 'Aussie way' - that brash xenophobia and nationalism that's rammed down your throat everywhere is repugnant to many of us. We're not all trolls.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

x Roomeo x is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate

I couldn't agree more. The UK is a sinking ship. If you move to any country, you should expect to live their way of life.

I, my fiancée and two daughters will hopefully be moving to Perth towards the back end of this year. We are all really excited to what our future may hold for us. That being said, nothing is permanent, if we do find the Aussie way of life is not for us, we will have to make alternative plans......
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

FitzroyLions is an unknown quantity at this point

My thoughts exactly.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by x Roomeo x
I couldn't agree more. The UK is a sinking ship.
Oh dear

more starry eyes
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FitzroyLions
My thoughts exactly.
No chance you're seeing just what you want to see?
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

x Roomeo x is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Oh dear

more starry eyes
You call it starry eyes, I call it $150,000 salary. An ideal opportunity for me and my family to try something new.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by x Roomeo x
You call it starry eyes, I call it $150,000 salary.
What's the salary got to do with it?

That is not all that great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.