Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move from UK to Australia

Move from UK to Australia

Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:38 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move from UK to Australia

Wow, I'm glad our friends are living in the other England

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Exactly. England is terrible at the moment..
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
One of my sons was born in Doncaster
... and was he born at the track?
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and does he still live there?
Not at all

We were only there a year....in the 70's when all thye coal mines were still open
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
... and was he born at the track?
I wish...I was a regular though
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris955
One of the things I was 'warned' about when I went to the UK 12 months ago was how everyone would be miserable and shop assistants would be rude and unhelpful. All I can say is that those people were very wide of the mark, with one exception of a woman in Tesco in Doncaster shop assistants were friendly and helpful. My son collects snow globes and I bought him a lovely one in a shop in Bath, I got talking to the lovely ladies in the shop and told them what it was for and they said 'here you go give your son this one as well, it's the last we have'. Maybe if you live in a big city it is different ?
Yes, I do like Bath, My Sister had a pub there. I have had good service in a few shops all across the Uk. But the larger stores generally were quite miserable. That said last visit to the Uk. I got the impression some staff in a couple of places(Think Sainsburys was one) had been given some kind of customer service training. some phrases were repeated, Sounding a bit like some parrot fashion training. But it made a nice change. Their not all angels here but the overall impression is a happier approach. Artificial or not.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 11:12 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I think just like here and the US especially they are given training, some seem to take to it better than others. As I said overall I found people generally to be very helpful and friendly, it wasn't like that way back in the 80's and 90's but they seemed to be genuinely friendly.

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
Yes, I do like Bath, My Sister had a pub there. I have had good service in a few shops all across the Uk. But the larger stores generally were quite miserable. That said last visit to the Uk. I got the impression some staff in a couple of places(Think Sainsburys was one) had been given some kind of customer service training. some phrases were repeated, Sounding a bit like some parrot fashion training. But it made a nice change. Their not all angels here but the overall impression is a happier approach. Artificial or not.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

This is one of the worst forums iv been on for high and mighty know alls. If you think the uk is doing alright at the moment then you are as bad as (and probably one of the supporters of) the Tory government. I don't care what Australia is doing, my point was the UK is up shit creek. Every day when I put the news on there's 2-3 massive companies gone again. Yesterday peacocks with 9000 jobs being lost. Iv got a job in Australia to go to in the industry I wanted to get back into. That would have been impossible in the UK.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 7:33 am
Banned

2-3 massive companies going bust every day, bloody hell there can't be any left by now

This is one of the worst forums iv been on for high and mighty know alls. If you think the uk is doing alright at the moment then you are as bad as (and probably one of the supporters of) the Tory government. I don't care what Australia is doing, my point was the UK is up shit creek. Every day when I put the news on there's 2-3 massive companies gone again. Yesterday peacocks with 9000 jobs being lost. Iv got a job in Australia to go to in the industry I wanted to get back into. That would have been impossible in the UK.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Smudger82
Good luck to you, try and ignore the bitterness of people on here who have had the big move gone sour for whatever reason. You only live once, so give it a go. It's not for everyone, but you won't really know if it will work for you until you've done it, so just make sure you have a contingency plan.

This is the best time NOT to live in the UK for decades, those who have the opportunity to try something else should count themselves lucky.
Sky news at 7am every morning has an info bar of constant down turns in turnover, even Tesco were down for the first time in 20 years. Pumpkin patch kids clothing went aswell yesterday. It really is not looking good. I had my own business for 6 years and luckily sold it for about 25% of what it was worth in 2008 last February. It was literally on the verge of not being worth continuining running anymore. But I had 20 people who's lively hoods depended on it so I did all I could to get a buyer. I'd never start my own business again in the UK for a long time unless it was an online venture. Rent, rates and utilities are shocking. My electricity had gone from 3.9p a unit in 2006 up to 17.8p in 2011. And rent from 12k plus vat to 34k in 2010. Businesses can't last unless drastic measures are taken. I can't wait to work for someone again!
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

People are allowed to voice their opinions. Just cos they aren't the same as yours doesn't mean they are any less valuable! Think how boring it would be if we all thought the same things Personally I'm quite glad we have such a good mix on here, keeps life exciting
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
People are allowed to voice their opinions. Just cos they aren't the same as yours doesn't mean they are any less valuable! Think how boring it would be if we all thought the same things Personally I'm quite glad we have such a good mix on here, keeps life exciting
Yeah, you're right sorry.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:55 am
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad to see theres a 'lack' of tolerance to a point and pushing the 'aussie way'. Go back to the uk where they are starting to ban things like st. George's day and flags incase it offends minorities! As the aussies have said, if you want to live here live as we do. The uk has lost the bloody plot now with PC rubbish, I for one will be glad to leave it behind.

nuff said
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by x Roomeo x
You call it starry eyes, I call it $150,000 salary. An ideal opportunity for me and my family to try something new.
Yeh but a decent house in a nice suburb costs 750,000!

An Audi A4 costs 60k.

Forget the number, 150k sounds alot till you do the maths, try seeing what you can buy with it first.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

2-3 massive companies EVERY DAY, really? Wow that is bad, although not really true is it?

The UK is one of the 5 largest economies in the world and tens of millions of people are gainfully emplyed.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bingobob777
2-3 massive companies EVERY DAY, really? Wow that is bad, although not really true is it?

The UK is one of the 5 largest economies in the world and tens of millions of people are gainfully emplyed.
With the highest rate of unemployment for 18 years. Everyday on the news there's companies in trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.