Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Get yourself a couple of cats and throw them in the room half an hour before you want to enter. Just hope the size of the huntsmen dont scare the flippin cats.
:scared:
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, now I feel everyone is confronting their fears about spiders... I feel I can trust you enough to let slip my ickle concern (which haunts me in the dark quiet hours of the night)....

It's all BP's fault (scapegoat found!)

Its those tiny little cockroches....

going in my ears!!!!!!

ATB
Larissa

(Ref to BP refers to time he recommended putting olive oil in your ears if a cockroach goes inside) :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Larissa
OK, now I feel everyone is confronting their fears about spiders... I feel I can trust you enough to let slip my ickle concern (which haunts me in the dark quiet hours of the night)....

going in my ears!!!!!!

ATB
Larissa

(Ref to BP refers to time he recommended putting olive oil in your ears if a cockroach goes inside) :scared: :scared: :scared:

nice. :scared:
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:21 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Larissa

going in my ears!!!!!!

ATB
Larissa

Are they the ones that lay eggs in your brain which hatch and then take over your body, can remember watching a programme about when I was a kid :scared:
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Are they the ones that lay eggs in your brain which hatch and then take over your body, can remember watching a programme about when I was a kid :scared:
Sounds like a star trek episode where the head admirals of star fleet have all been infected by slimy worm things that got into their brains. But it went in through their necks, not their ears.

Anyway Captain Picard sorted it all out as usual. Nothing to worry about.

I'm not a trekkie by the way

Go forth and prosper, \ /
JTL
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:51 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
I remember reading a true story about a guy in a thai jail who started getting pain in one of his ears and his ear went all puffy and infected looking and hard. In the end they took him to the infirmary and cut some tissue, and in the mound on the ear they found these little dead cockroaches :scared:

The good thing is : he got symptoms, got medical attention, didn't go mad, suffer long term problems or die.

If you really concerned , buy ear plugs to wear to sleep, but better connect your alarm to your home stereo LOL
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Oh dear! oh dear! oh dear!

Well the ride so far with all this emigration malarky has been up and down. There has been the high's and low's of the TRA, the failure! the finding out that studying in Oz could be a route, the selling of the house (to come), and everything else that comes with the territory,

BUT!!!!!!

This thread had got my partner worried

Herself and my daughter are at best terrified of the creepy crawlies, and after reading out a few quotes from this thread, thrown into that a "here, take a look at this beast!" (ta D D ...lol) I now have her sitting on the sofa with head in hands mumbling about 'is this really what we want?'

Sooooooo, I ask this simple question:

IF!!! you was to keep your house spotless, and I mean spotless!!, have no carpets and opt for hardwood or tiled flooring, have the house sprayed for these things twice the reccomended dose, and twice as often, put signs up all over the place saying "no Roaches & Huntsman please", you get the idea,

IS it at all possible to live in somewhere like The Gold Coast and .............. err ............... not see any ?!?!

ok, the odd one here and there might be ok, well as far as ok can go, but even I now have visions of finding our first rental and opening the door to a gang of em all sitting there awaiting our arrival to greet us! Me running round like a blue ass fly shouting "it'll be ok, there aint THAT many" and as many as I can get!

Somebody PLEASE tell me it is possible to live in Oz without em!

Pweeeeeeeeeeeeese!!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

=

lol
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Oh dear! oh dear! oh dear!

Well the ride so far with all this emigration malarky has been up and down. There has been the high's and low's of the TRA, the failure! the finding out that studying in Oz could be a route, the selling of the house (to come), and everything else that comes with the territory,

BUT!!!!!!

This thread had got my partner worried

Herself and my daughter are at best terrified of the creepy crawlies, and after reading out a few quotes from this thread, thrown into that a "here, take a look at this beast!" (ta D D ...lol) I now have her sitting on the sofa with head in hands mumbling about 'is this really what we want?'

Sooooooo, I ask this simple question:

IF!!! you was to keep your house spotless, and I mean spotless!!, have no carpets and opt for hardwood or tiled flooring, have the house sprayed for these things twice the reccomended dose, and twice as often, put signs up all over the place saying "no Roaches & Huntsman please", you get the idea,

IS it at all possible to live in somewhere like The Gold Coast and .............. err ............... not see any ?!?!

ok, the odd one here and there might be ok, well as far as ok can go, but even I now have visions of finding our first rental and opening the door to a gang of em all sitting there awaiting our arrival to greet us! Me running round like a blue ass fly shouting "it'll be ok, there aint THAT many" and as many as I can get!

Somebody PLEASE tell me it is possible to live in Oz without em!

Pweeeeeeeeeeeeese!!
Not the answer you want, but...

This is a warm climate, bugs love it.

Now there are 2 routes to take. You can go the chemical route, and try and kill every bug in sight (and risk poisoning your dog, our dog Jock was licking roach killer stuff the other day).

Or... you get over it. I never liked spiders, lizards, or in fact any kind of swift moving alien crap. Especially not in my house, and especially not in my computer room. But here I am typing this with a gecko climbing up the wall just about to eat a moth.

Its a change of mindset, and it will probably only happen once you get here, so its probably not fair pilling all the images and stuff on you now. I know I would have been crapping myself if I'd seen the spider photo before I came here.

It actually isn't a big deal once you're here. I've had a few spider incidents (imagine them as wasps incidents in the UK). I'm fine with geckos. And one or two snake surprises in the garden (they were all harmless). Its nature, don't fight it when you get here. I hate to see the adverts on completely protecting your home from bugs. They don't work, and they are very very poisonous.

Cheers,
JTL

Edit: In answer to your question, yes... if you got the place bug sprayed and sanitised twice as often as required, and you were completely anal about cleaning, and you house had no holes, and you never dropped crumbs, and you kept your screen doors shut etc etc. Yes it probably would be possible to never see a bug. You couldn't have pets though.

And you might think you can do that now, but once you get here, and you see a bug or two, and you understand how everyone else feels about it, your mind set will change.

Apart from roaches, they do have to die.

Last edited by JackTheLad; Mar 22nd 2005 at 2:05 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

JLT I hear you. To be honest I don't like anything like that myself, but I don't go all wobbly if I see one. I'll not kill em either, but bung it in a cup and release in the garden (prob to return! ...lol) but it's the rest of the gang I worry about, and that ARE worried. I'm yet to show my daughter D D's lovely pic ...lol, altho maybe I'll refrain!

I like to think once in and settled to the new way and all, that one day one I'll be giving similar advice to some wannabe expat. How we was all like that but now it's just part of the deal, and not really a prob,

BUT!!!! .......... to be honest am finding that vision a lil blurred now

I live in hope tho!

Oh and our worse experience of mr roach was on holiday in Tenerife a few year back. We'd landed the room just above the kitchen, which we thought was handy! ....... NOT!! and upon returning from a day at the pool, well the place was swarming with em!! I don't recall any flying, but absolutely all over the place!! It took us a few days to get a room change, but in the meantime we found that they didn't like the light being switched on, and hence they never went off!!

I wonder if Australian (as if gonna be any diff! ..lol) roaches are afraid of the bright lights too ?? I can handle a high electricity bill!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

Gonna give this a try

Instead of this lovely background on my desktop:

I'm gonna leave this:

on it. See how that goes ....lol
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JLT I hear you. To be honest I don't like anything like that myself, but I don't go all wobbly if I see one. I'll not kill em either, but bung it in a cup and release in the garden (prob to return! ...lol) but it's the rest of the gang I worry about, and that ARE worried. I'm yet to show my daughter D D's lovely pic ...lol, altho maybe I'll refrain!

I like to think once in and settled to the new way and all, that one day one I'll be giving similar advice to some wannabe expat. How we was all like that but now it's just part of the deal, and not really a prob,

BUT!!!! .......... to be honest am finding that vision a lil blurred now

I live in hope tho!

Oh and our worse experience of mr roach was on holiday in Tenerife a few year back. We'd landed the room just above the kitchen, which we thought was handy! ....... NOT!! and upon returning from a day at the pool, well the place was swarming with em!! I don't recall any flying, but absolutely all over the place!! It took us a few days to get a room change, but in the meantime we found that they didn't like the light being switched on, and hence they never went off!!

I wonder if Australian (as if gonna be any diff! ..lol) roaches are afraid of the bright lights too ?? I can handle a high electricity bill!
No, definitely don't show them the pics. Its not so bad once you're in the environment (ok, it scares the **** out of you the first time, but after that it will be ok). Its like shock therapy... rather than this thread, that just builds up the tension.

Mrs JTL is from Hong Kong and was probably hoping for lots of incidents from me, a brit, freaking out about roaches, spiders etc. But once you've seen them, its like ,well, I'll figure out a way to chuck them out of the house. Except roaches of coarse, which you beat to death

I'd keep away from the mention of bugs, spiders etc till you get here. You will be surprised how low on the agenda it is once you are here. Its like a once a month shock for one of the family, and its not even dangerous. Its a risk,but around the same level as dog attacks, or jellyfish stings.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
No, definitely don't show them the pics. Its not so bad once you're in the environment (ok, it scares the **** out of you the first time, but after that it will be ok). Its like shock therapy... rather than this thread, that just builds up the tension.

Mrs JTL is from Hong Kong and was probably hoping for lots of incidents from me, a brit, freaking out about roaches, spiders etc. But once you've seen them, its like ,well, I'll figure out a way to chuck them out of the house. Except roaches of coarse, which you beat to death

I'd keep away from the mention of bugs, spiders etc till you get here. You will be surprised how low on the agenda it is once you are here. Its like a once a month shock for one of the family, and its not even dangerous. Its a risk,but around the same level as dog attacks, or jellyfish stings.

Cheers,
JTL
Ok, removed the spider now, back to the sunny Gold Coast

Yeah maybe your right (hope so! ...lol), and what you say is what I try to tell em. I'm sure we'll be ok, there is a lot more to Oz than the crawlies, that we know!

It's just that pic! ....lol
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok, removed the spider now, back to the sunny Gold Coast

Yeah maybe your right (hope so! ...lol), and what you say is what I try to tell em. I'm sure we'll be ok, there is a lot more to Oz than the crawlies, that we know!

It's just that pic! ....lol

To just show you the priority in my mind:

Don't forget about the paralysis tick collar for your dog!

All the best

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Mar 22nd 2005 at 3:01 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

Ok, well what about this one then?

I've just got off the phone to an Aussie girl who works for some Flight co I left my details with about flights in May. Anyway, she had a right giggle at me going on about Huntsmen, Redbacks, Roaches, Geckos (spellin?!), flies, and all the rest ...lol,

BUT! ........ what's this about the Cane Toads and their dodgy mucus ????

Where does it stop!! ....lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.