Reload this Page >

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:29 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
threlly

'Fraid not. It's the real thing. And just to let you know, I had my first session with a behavioural therapist yesterday to help me cope with them. I am utterly terrified (as a lot on here are). I trapped a spider for the first time yesterday (which is a big deal for me). It was only a small one, but it's a start. Only problem is that the beaker I used on it wouldn't come close to covering a huntsman - perhaps a bucket would be better - but I really doubt whether I could get that close to it!!!! (You cant squish them coz they make such a mess!).

D D
OMG Dolly A BIT OF WARNING NEXT TIME PLEASE!!!

Bloody hell i have gone white, feel sick, got palpatations, sat here crying jeez I know I'm not going to cope with them at all, been having nightmares about them.

I have rang hypnotherepist 3 times to book an appointment and put the phone down each time, terrified of what I've got to do to over come it, will he make me hold a spider omg sorry for rambling but my other half just dosnt understand how frightened I am.

and we are going to Tas thanks polly
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:38 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms

Bloody hell i have gone white, feel sick, got palpatations, sat here crying jeez I know I'm not going to cope with them at all, been having nightmares about them.

I have rang hypnotherepist 3 times to book an appointment and put the phone down each time, terrified of what I've got to do to over come it, will he make me hold a spider omg sorry for rambling but my other half just dosnt understand how frightened I am.

They have huntsman spiders in tassie too. be prepared. they look like a fury land crab
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:40 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Im in Perth and while I don't mind daddy long legs the rest I cant handle(cos they can bite).

Older places seem to have more of a cockroach problem. I can never get rid of the buggers (mainly the small german ones), no matter how often i spray or put cockroach bombs down.

I did hear an old remedy for them, must try it I heard it works well.

Mix half flour and half plaster of paris with a little water and leave around where they hangout, in little trays.
Another hint: keep a few slices of cucumber under you sink/in cupboards till it dries out. then replace. Apparently they cant stand it.
AH my building is 90 odd yrs old (yeah I know unheard of in OZ) I was told today by one of the backpackers that this is the backpackers with the least bugs after 6 months of traveling so we must be doing something right.

Maybe they like the flour and get stuck in the plaster of Paris, I'm sure it is Ceri who makes resin pressies for people with bugs inside them, maybe a new way to catch bugs for her???

Kala
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:42 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JayDeee
AH my building is 90 odd yrs old (yeah I know unheard of in OZ) I was told today by one of the backpackers that this is the backpackers with the least bugs after 6 months of traveling so we must be doing something right.

Maybe they like the flour and get stuck in the plaster of Paris, I'm sure it is Ceri who makes resin pressies for people with bugs inside them, maybe a new way to catch bugs for her???

Kala
Just remembered another annoyance, Crickets, I got one in my roof now singing a tune for me

Kala
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:44 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Kala
Think the greedy little buggers come out and stuff themselves full of it , then find the plaster of paris does weird and nasty things to their digestive system.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
it becomes second nature to shake clothes out, and tap your boots before you put them on, but you WILL cope. Believe me, I'm no great spider lover, and I hated leaving it in the bathroom not knowing where it would go...... but it lives here, its harmless, and it eats them roaches. Wait till you've met them, you'll love anything that kills them.

First one of those I met landed on my keyboard,in the dark one night. Bondipom had them breeding in his keyboard. They ARE scum. 6 inch long flying sods!

And yes, redback bites can kill, but I don't think anyone has died for ,many years, and there are lots of anti-venom things available. Just get treatment quick.

i cant cope with thinking about flying roaches yet - still trying to come to terms with spiders as big as plates!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Just to help the therapy along I managed to find this...

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_sp...parassidae.htm

Where was it you were thinking of moving too...

Adelaide!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:46 pm
Banned

Just remembered another annoyance, Crickets, I got one in my roof now singing a tune for me

Kala
much worse than crickets is the bloody crows here as soon as daylight breaks!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rooksie
i cant cope with thinking about flying roaches yet - still trying to come to terms with spiders as big as plates!!!
Brisbane is full of both!! Probably why their state rugby league team is known as the cockroaches
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Adelaide!!!
Adelaide: lovely city!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:56 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

much worse than crickets is the bloody crows here as soon as daylight breaks!!
And them stupid black and white birds, god knows what they are but they sing really lovely melow songs then sudenly go loopy and squark fo the next hour and a half, they attack you on the top of your head and they even attack the cat, cheeky gits

Kala
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:57 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Adelaide: lovely city!
yeah shame about all the insects escaping out of the local wildlife park
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Their favourite trick.......hiding behind the sunvisor in the car; you pull the visor down, spider lands in your lap. I had a mate in Hobart who after 20 years still checked the visor every time he got in the car
You have got to be joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:

I think I would die, I really would die!!!!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared:

Please tell me they dont live in Melbourne!!!!

I will have to leave so early to get anywhere on time to check all the 'places' first.

Yeuchhhhhhh!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really nice

yeah shame about all the insects escaping out of the local wildlife park
another question about spiders !

If you have a dog, will spiders bite the dog, and if a dog was to eat / get bitten by a -

redback / huntsman

what harm will it do to the dog????
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:33 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms

Sorry Possoms

If you really are scared of spiders the I strongly suggest you try hypnotherapy/therapy of any kind(!) to help you. I know that if I don't do something about it I'm literally going to be living in fear and I'm not going to let the buggers win. I'm not going to let it spoil our Oz life.

London Zoo do an afternoon course called 'friendly spider course' (yeah I know, they're having a larf!!!) and at the end of it you catch one and then have one on your hand. If works for a lot of people, but I need something that'll be more longer lasting. (can't find details on zoo website so have left message with the zoo to call me back with dates/times/how much etc. I'll post the details when I get them (or someone else beats me to it!!)).

D D

PS apologies if someone has already mentioned London Zoo's course on this thread....it's getting pretty long!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.