Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Oh My God!!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hooperhome
Pollyanna

Whereabout in Oz are you living ?
I'm in Brisbane, you get them in all the eastern states, and as far as I know in WA and SA as well. The first ones I saw were in Tassie - just as big.
Their favourite trick.......hiding behind the sunvisor in the car; you pull the visor down, spider lands in your lap. I had a mate in Hobart who after 20 years still checked the visor every time he got in the car

First one I saw.......lying in a backpackers bunk in Tas, looked up at the base of the bunk above me....and there it was, saucer size. I remember thinking "Oh F***, I've seen my first one, get me outta here!!!!"
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:23 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by threlly
hi DollyDaydream,
please tell me that your picture is a plastic spider, or i wont sleep for weeks-months-years
please put me out of my misery-its not real surely?
OMG

It's real, just think of it as a mouse or something.

Kala
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Someone did tell me once that the spiders in Arachnophobia were Huntsmen; and I'm sure the Harry Potter ones are digitally-enlarged ones.
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

when we got the keys to our rental, we thought we'd clean prior to moving in!

We walked through the front door and I went straight to open the sitting room blinds and let in some daylight, I opened the 1st blind - stood back and saw something wrapped in the muslin curtains like a shroud! :scared: :scared: I screamed, laughed, cried, screamed, shook, cried - then my husband appeared with a broom and bucket and took the dear 'little' spider out to the back of the garden.

Ten minutes later I was walking through the hall with a brand new bathroom cleaner spray, when there was a strange, strangled, high pitch scream - my husband had picked up a couple of buckets left in the hall and had been bitten on a finger (he must have squashed the Huntsmans head or something), the buckets went flying, the air turned Blue and I jumped so much that I the cleaner top flew off and the liquid squirted up the hall walls!!

tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks and im also having asthma attack!!!! help *gasp*
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:24 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
An extract:

"Huntsman Spider

A full-grown huntsman spider can be as big as an adult hand. The spider typically has a crab-like set of legs and can sprint up walls and across ceilings with surprising speed. Huntsmen are known to bite and may cause mild local pain. etc etc etc"

well F**K THAT!!!!!

I purchased the above book from Sandown at the weekend. I read the above extract and nearly crapped my pants!!!!

Just to recap "can be as big as an adult hand. The spider typically has a crab-like set of legs and can sprint up walls and across ceilings with surprising speed"

HOLY S**T
Yep I came across one of those Huntsman one night after I been to the pub in Brisbane. Didn't know what to make of it. Fair scared the shit out of me. I through a glass ashtray at it, clipped its leg (more like a claw) and the bloody thing just stared at me as if to say "what the hell you think you're doing"

I ran to my room and locked the door and had great difficulty sleeping that night, I can tell you. True story.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Someone did tell me once that the spiders in Arachnophobia were Huntsmen; and I'm sure the Harry Potter ones are digitally-enlarged ones.

defo harry potter spiders. our daughters freaked at that part of the film - how on earth am i going to explain........
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:25 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Must admit I am not a spider fan, and I will ALWAYS be checking my sun visor before I get in the car!

You must get used to them after a while though surely?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Same with red backs, loads in my garden but they are so dopey that they wouldn't know how to bite if they tried, they also look realy really good.

Kala
Well, if its all the same to you, I'll still kill the redbacks, I don't care how 'dopey' or attractive you think they are

Redbacks

RedbackSpider
Bite
Nip and run. Effects highly variable, mild to severe (death without antivenom). Typically intense local pain. Early medical attention required (but no tourniquet).
No thanks, if wasps deserve to die, then redbacks deserves to die 10 times over.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:26 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I heard that too, and yep we definately get them here in WA.

The thing that stops you from being scared is that they are sooo big they look more like mammals then insects, I really wouldnt be able to kill one even if I was still scared.

Kala
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

I'm in Brisbane, you get them in all the eastern states, and as far as I know in WA and SA as well. The first ones I saw were in Tassie - just as big.
Their favourite trick.......hiding behind the sunvisor in the car; you pull the visor down, spider lands in your lap. I had a mate in Hobart who after 20 years still checked the visor every time he got in the car

First one I saw.......lying in a backpackers bunk in Tas, looked up at the base of the bunk above me....and there it was, saucer size. I remember thinking "Oh F***, I've seen my first one, get me outta here!!!!"

oh my god - that is it - NO F**KING WAY!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:28 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

threlly

'Fraid not. It's the real thing. And just to let you know, I had my first session with a behavioural therapist yesterday to help me cope with them. I am utterly terrified (as a lot on here are). I trapped a spider for the first time yesterday (which is a big deal for me). It was only a small one, but it's a start. Only problem is that the beaker I used on it wouldn't come close to covering a huntsman - perhaps a bucket would be better - but I really doubt whether I could get that close to it!!!! (You cant squish them coz they make such a mess!).

D D
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:28 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

They're probably too big to squish under foot anyway!!!!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

D D

I am so glad I have just had my lunch, otherwise I would have been well put off, actually, I think I may bring it back!!!

I have a huge fear of spiders, I do not know how I will cope if we do make the big move! I have been to oz twice now, I was not as paranoid on visit 2. I did see a huntsman on my first visit, but none to my knowledge on the second trip!

For our first couple of nights in Oz, I could not sleep, the house we stayed in had polished floorboards and I used to dream at night the spiders were coming up through the floorboards, sometimes I would lie there in the dark waiting for dawn to come so I could escape the darkness and room full of spiders I had imagined were surrounding me!!!!

As I scrolled down I caught the top bit of your photo, I could not bring myself to continue to move down and look at the whole photo, eventually after much muttering to myself I have looked.......I am just off to find a toilet roll to actually see in reality how big it was.

Please tell me toilet rolls in Oz are 10 times the size of the ones we get in the UK!!!!

Regards

Nikki

P.S. What are Gekhos (will I be sorry I asked....??)
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:31 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well, if its all the same to you, I'll still kill the redbacks, I don't care how 'dopey' or attractive you think they are

Redbacks

No thanks, if wasps deserve to die, then redbacks deserves to die 10 times over.

Cheers,
JTL

Dont get me wrong they can kill you so once I have had a good look I squish it good and propper but they aren't fast moving, I poke them off the fence all the time to show the backpackers and they dont move an inch once down, I also never see one just goin for a wander they just sit in there little hidey hole all the time.

My Father in law picks them up and then squishes them, bloody mad farmer bloke, he also chases king browns with a shovel :scared: :scared: :scared:

Kala

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.