Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Snakes aren't going to end up on your pillow at night, or get in your wellie boot, or scuttle across your windscreen whilst driving
D D
Perhaps not, but they have been known to wrap themselves around car engines for the warmth. I do agree though I am not a great fan of the spider. We have found three huntsmen in our place this summer. My husband is becoming quite the expert at shuffling them into a box and then dumping them in the neighbours garden (because they keep us awake til all hours of the night). It drives my husband crazy because for a good hour after the spider is gone, imaginary spiders keep brushing past my legs and I keep jumping and screaming, he gets so fed up.

I believe that huntsmen live in roofs (sp?), which makes me wonder how many are up there if we have had three in the house already :scared:.

Last edited by Shellfish; Mar 21st 2005 at 9:40 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Perhaps not, but they have been known to wrap themselves around car engines for the warmth. I do agree though I am not a great fan of the spider. We have found three huntsmen in our place this summer. My husband is becoming quite the expert at shuffling them into a box and then dumping them in the neighbours garden (because they keep us awake til all hours of the night). It drives my husband crazy because for a good hour after the spider is gone, imaginary spiders keep brushing past my legs and I keep jumping and screaming, he gets so fed up.

I believe that huntsmen live in roofs (sp?), which makes me wonder how many are up there if we have had three in the house already :scared:.
Bllomin' 'ell it might be like that film Arachnaphobia!! eek!! :scared:
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:59 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shellfish
or what happens when you need that thingeymebob, you know, the one up in the loft, where the light doesn't work! :scared:

Do you just go out and buy another?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Its not an issue, people just get used to large insects.

We have huntmen, much bigger than the loo roll guy, the sandy coloured ones with hairy legs. Suppose you have people over, a few spiders appear, nobody usually even comments, occasionally somebody will get up close and have a look, its just part of life. I strongly object to killing them, large spiders eat mozzies flies, snakes are in australia to eat rodents, if we didnt have snakes we would be alive with rats.

Cockroaches and flies are dirty, spread disease, kill them not the good guys.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:38 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its not an issue, people just get used to large insects.

We have huntmen, much bigger than the loo roll guy, the sandy coloured ones with hairy legs. Suppose you have people over, a few spiders appear, nobody usually even comments, occasionally somebody will get up close and have a look, its just part of life. I strongly object to killing them, large spiders eat mozzies flies, snakes are in australia to eat rodents, if we didnt have snakes we would be alive with rats.

Cockroaches and flies are dirty, spread disease, kill them not the good guys.
I'd rather have a huge carpet snake or 2 under the house than bloody rats Ugh hate the things :scared: Anyone got a spare snake they don't want?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I'd rather have a huge carpet snake or 2 under the house than bloody rats Ugh hate the things :scared: Anyone got a spare snake they don't want?
Exactly, warm climates things breed

All these immigrants messing with natures way of elimating them is not good for australia, hug a huntsman today.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn W
another question about spiders !

If you have a dog, will spiders bite the dog, and if a dog was to eat / get bitten by a -

redback / huntsman

what harm will it do to the dog????
Haven't heard of that as a problem here. The thing our vet warned us about alot were paralysis ticks. These little things burrow into the dogs skin and can paralyse and kill a dog in a few days.

If you've got a dog who likes to rummage in bushes and undergrowth, and live in the tick region (most of eastern Oz), it is essential you get him a tick collar, and read up on the signs and symptoms of paralytic ticks, so you can spot it early.

**Warning next link contains a couple of pictures of ticks**

Paralysis Tick

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:33 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Haven't heard of that as a problem here. The thing our vet warned us about alot were paralysis ticks. These little things burrow into the dogs skin and can paralyse and kill a dog in a few days.

If you've got a dog who likes to rummage in bushes and undergrowth, and live in the tick region (most of eastern Oz), it is essential you get him a tick collar, and read up on the signs and symptoms of paralytic ticks, so you can spot it early.

**Warning next link contains a couple of pictures of ticks**

Paralysis Tick

Cheers,
JTL
Never knew about this but I'll go have a read up from the link now me thinks
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Never knew about this but I'll go have a read up from the link now me thinks
YUK! altho my Max being short haired, I guess finding them MIGHT be that bit easier ?!

Dunno what looks worse tho, the Huntsman or the engorged Tick!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Foeke Booy is an unknown quantity at this point

What a great thread. Havent laughed like that for a while.

Spiders can and do bite dogs/cats. Although cats deserve it.

Cant believe noone has mentioned the infamous whitetail spider. They may be small but they're nasty little buggers.

As for huntsman, they may be big an hairy but I'd prefer them than the common black house spider. They look mean.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:00 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Foeke Booy

What a great thread. Havent laughed like that for a while.

Spiders can and do bite dogs/cats. Although cats deserve it.

Cant believe noone has mentioned the infamous whitetail spider. They may be small but they're nasty little buggers.

As for huntsman, they may be big an hairy but I'd prefer them than the common black house spider. They look mean.
Cats can be very handy, We got a cat free with the business, a ginger tom who made this place his home about 5 years ago and he is great at killing mice, rats, cockroaches and them annoying black and white birds, he also eats them so doesn't leave a mess other than the odd couple of feathers. Ferrel cats are a big no no though, there are loads round here living on the beach and twice I have had to get my cat antibiotics as he has been beaten up by them.

I dont even have to feed him as he feeds himself (and the backpackers spoil him with fresh fish and steak quite a lot)

All I gotta do now is teach him to hunt and kill sandflies and mossies and I will be one happy bunny

Kala
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rooksie
HOLY F**KING SHITE

no way, forget it. keep it, shuv it im staying put. i thought you only saw those on tv!!!!! its straight from harry potter!!!

Apparently the Shetland Islands don't have many spiders, and there would be no problem with VISA's.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

And dont they jump off walls at you?? Like those pesky cockraoches - I culdnt beleive my eyes when I saw one fly!

I am not a fan.

SS
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
You will soon lose your fear of spiders in OZ when you stumble across something much worse. l knew someone who was affraid of spiders, one day she lifted up an old piece of corrigated iron and underneath was a massive
5 foot tiger snake with a nest of lovely little baby snakes. The huge mother protective of the babies leaped up in the air and tried to bite her in the face but missed when she jumped back. After that she was terrified of snakes but no longer affraid of spiders, they now seemed harmless in comparison. :scared: :scared:

oh great - i feel better already!!!! :scared:

Last edited by Rooksie; Mar 22nd 2005 at 8:10 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jad n rich]Its not an issue, people just get used to large insects.

We have huntmen, much bigger than the loo roll guy, QUOTE]

Cannot believe they come any bigger............with the arrival of rain, I woke up to find a spider in the bath this morning, by my standards it would be big, but after meeting loo roll guy yesterday I am seeing this one in a whole new light!!!! Still not moved it though.

I do agree with what most of you are saying, that the spiders get rid of other nasties, my problem will be seeing one and leaving it, then trying to live in the same house wondering where he is! I suppose it is a case of what the eye doesn't see......

I did wonder, does it depend on house type, rural/suburb location as to volume of nasties becuase I was not 'aware' of rats, roaches etc....when I stayed with my Dad. I did see frogs and Christmas beetles (nearlly had my head taken off by a beetle whilst in the pool, had to take cover under water!!!)

Great thread!

Nikki

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.