Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:47 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by IndieG
Reasonable?...lol This house is renting for 750 p/w. House next door went for 650 p/w:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

No, my sums still don't add up, views and size notwithstanding. Especially when I can rent one for $750 p/w or even less
You are assuming that there is a monetary correlation between the rental market and the sale market, which there isn't - because of the way that negative gearing works here together with tax benefits to be obtained by landlords from depreciation etc rental yields are about 4.75% as against about 8% in the UK, where landlords don't have those financial advantages and therefore have to charge more rent. Renting is much cheaper than buying here, in the UK it isn't necessarily.

BB
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Renting is much cheaper than buying here
BB
Exactly, that is what I said! My sums just don't add up....
Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

I raised a thread on markets in Melbourne few weeks back. It seems its answered here
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/gl...219-1b0bh.html
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, that is what I said! My sums just don't add up....
My simplistic view if it is that it is prime redevelopment land, in an upmarket suburb with appeal to wealthy people. The land value is going to be high. However, as a rental property, it is not as appealing because the state of the house might not be the best (I'm only taking a guess here), and the house is what matters to tenants, not so much the value of the land. So whereas a potential buyer might see a redevelopment opportunity (say 5 or 6 townhouses sold on at over $650k each) rather than a house, a prospective tenant will only look at the existing house and if it's not in pristine condition, will not fork out the high rent. This means that as an investment property, or even a principal residence with no redevelopment plans, it is way too expensive, as a redevelopment potential it might look attractive at $1.6m. I'm no expert, and I'm not sure the above reasoning makes sense to others, but it makes sense to me
Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

manzipoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kapri
Every time i log on to expats I look for any info re: Melbourne but most people seem to be heading for Perth or GC.
So here is the official Melbourne thread. Who's going there? When? Who's been there? For how long? What's good? What's bad? What's indifferent?
The Perthies have their own thread for contacts so I thought we should have a Melbourne one.
I'll kick it off.
I'm aiming to be there by the end of this year. I've never been there despite having been to other parts of Australia. My reason for going to Melbourne is that it's the only place my OH would consider but now I've started researching it I'm feeling very excited.
It never gets a look in on Wanted down under so I even started watching Neighbours to get my fix of it
Who else is going there/ there already?
We are arriving in May 2011, staying in Mornington hopefully. So looking forward to checking Melbourne city out aswell. I have done alot of reading and research and Melbourne has always appealed to us.
I so can't wait now only a few months and we will be there!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
I raised a thread on markets in Melbourne few weeks back. It seems its answered here
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/gl...219-1b0bh.html
Funny how opinions can be so different, I worked in Dandenong for 13 years and found it all profoundly grotty. Our office was on Lonsdale Street for a number of years and upstairs and people used the stairwell as a toilet delightful, the building on the corner where the watchmaker is had lots of empty floors and the druggies used to go up there and shoot up. Every afternoon they arrived around the area once they woke up. I walked through the old Target store one day and saw a young lad in private school uniform shooting up. So sad.

We then moved office to Mason St near the Tax Office and used to listen to the people swearing and arguing and always kept the office door locked when we were on our own.

Oh how different from having nice meals in ethnic restaurants.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

NikkiKK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Petals
Funny how opinions can be so different, I worked in Dandenong for 13 years and found it all profoundly grotty. Our office was on Lonsdale Street for a number of years and upstairs and people used the stairwell as a toilet delightful, the building on the corner where the watchmaker is had lots of empty floors and the druggies used to go up there and shoot up. Every afternoon they arrived around the area once they woke up. I walked through the old Target store one day and saw a young lad in private school uniform shooting up. So sad.

We then moved office to Mason St near the Tax Office and used to listen to the people swearing and arguing and always kept the office door locked when we were on our own.

Oh how different from having nice meals in ethnic restaurants.
Hi All, have just spent about an our reading this thread and only got through about 16 pages lol, I'm hoping to move to Melbourne this year, my other half is there now working and is in the process (just started) of getting his sponsorship and planning to have me and our daughter put on the sponsorship, Does anyone have any idea how long this process takes? so far all i've been asked for is copy of our passports and daughters birthcert also proof that me and himself have been living together (well he's been in oz since last march, me and daughter went over in June for a month and he was home at xmas for 3 weeks) my bank account etc is at our home address but we never had a joint bank account and mortgage is in his name, will my bank statements be enough proof that we live together?? I'm just worried we won't have enough proof, Can anyone advise what else we need? My payslips also have our home address, but we have nothing 'joint' if you know what I mean,

Sorry just realised i've been rambling, If anyone has been through this process Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

Nikki
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry didn't mean to add quote in my last post
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Have you telephone, internet, gas electricity bills in joint names, or your name if the house is in his name. Also you can get friends here in Aus to do stat decs to state that you have been living in a committed relationship. My daughter has done them for a couple of her friends, one that married a Brit and a Aus of chinese descent who married someone from Indonesia.

Get your other half to look at it from his end and you from your end. Also stat decs from your friends in UK.

Forgot to add these need to be people who have known you for a considerable length of time. My daughter has been friends with her girlfriend since primary school and with the other guy for about ten years. They need to state the time known in the documents.

Last edited by Petals; Feb 24th 2011 at 10:39 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Petals
Have you telephone, internet, gas electricity bills in joint names, or your name if the house is in his name. Also you can get friends here in Aus to do stat decs to state that you have been living in a committed relationship. My daughter has done them for a couple of her friends, one that married a Brit and a Aus of chinese descent who married someone from Indonesia.

Get your other half to look at it from his end and you from your end. Also stat decs from your friends in UK.

Forgot to add these need to be people who have known you for a considerable length of time. My daughter has been friends with her girlfriend since primary school and with the other guy for about ten years. They need to state the time known in the documents.
Sorry but what are stat decs? I have a friend who lives in Brisbane (she is also on sponsorship) she's known me since i was about 12. My other halfs brother is living in oz years in the process of getting residency would statements from them help? Only bill we had was esb and that was in his name although i usually paid it online from my account,
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikkiKK
Sorry but what are stat decs? I have a friend who lives in Brisbane (she is also on sponsorship) she's known me since i was about 12. My other halfs brother is living in oz years in the process of getting residency would statements from them help? Only bill we had was esb and that was in his name although i usually paid it online from my account,
Statutory Declarations - statements made by you or others and witnessed by a suitablly qualified professional eg a JP.

BB
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Statutory Declarations - statements made by you or others and witnessed by a suitablly qualified professional eg a JP.

BB
Thanks for that,So would the people I have mentioned above giving these statements be any good? Or who would be the best people to ask? Work colleagues, my boss his former boss?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

People who have known you personally for a number of years and people who know you lived together and bought a house and visited you there as a couple over the time they have known you both.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon 1.6 million for a big house on a big block with views in Kew is pretty reasonable!

BB
Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Yep, they usually go for more than that in Kew, even smaller blocks.
Well you reckoned wrong then. The house got passed in $1.5 million. Four houses I saw in the past one month - all unsold.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: The Melbourne thread

Well you reckoned wrong then. The house got passed in $1.5 million. Four houses I saw in the past one month - all unsold.
Damn! I should have put in a bid!

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.