Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by Phlanger
About 35% of the "local population" rent as opposed to about 67% who either own outright or are living in a mortgaged property according to ABS..
I meant [no. of investors / no. of those looking to buy a house (but are forced to rent by outrageous house prices)], my guess was this propotion is 1/5 i.e. 80% but it may even be more perhaps 1/7.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Dude, you need to let go on the Chinese thing. You are starting to come across as a touch racist/xenophobic !
No, I am a fan of Chinese people. I believe China will overtake US very soon as the most respected country in the world. Read that they are building 200 new hi-tech cities in coming 20 years
Read here what China is capable of http://www.theage.com.au/business/cr...128-1a8b8.html

Last edited by mpgrewal; Feb 8th 2011 at 2:17 am. Reason: provided link
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:23 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
No, I am a fan of Chinese people. I believe China will overtake US very soon as the most respected country in the world. Read that they are building 200 new hi-tech cities in coming 20 years
Read here what China is capable of http://www.theage.com.au/business/cr...128-1a8b8.html
Oh dear. I think we have very different value systems. Human/Civil rights, Democracy, Tolerance, etc all score much higher for me than impressive economy stats.
Aus can certainly improve on its record (there is always room for improvement) but we are LIGHT YEARS ahead of China on those measurements. That is why I choose to live here.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Petals
Another friend lived in an upmarket block in the city for 12 years and has recently sold and moved back to Brighton as the demographic of the owners was changing and they were beginning to feel that the body corporate could not longer operate to the benefit of the resident owners. Who did they sell to Indian people who were resident overseas for a residence for their children whilst at Uni. It was not a cheap apartment six figures.
The apartments are still being purchased for residential purposes, so I don't see the problem - foreign students are a cash cow for Melbourne's FE sector and the fees they or their families pay keep an overpriced roof over many melburnian heads.

House prices are high when the economy can withstand it; simple as that. Overseas earnings are part of the Australian economic picture, overseas ownership goes hand in hand with that.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
I meant [no. of investors / no. of those looking to buy a house (but are forced to rent by outrageous house prices)], my guess was this propotion is 1/5 i.e. 80% but it may even be more perhaps 1/7.
I'm sorry I still don't get that;

This reads as - for each investment property purchased,5 to 8 households have to seek rental accomodation?

That simply doesn't make any sense.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:45 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Melbournes Newest Suburb - Fishermans Bend

http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/fish...218-1az0r.html
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:18 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Melbournes Newest Suburb - Fishermans Bend

http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/fish...218-1az0r.html
Cool. Another possibly smutty sounding suburb.

Bangholme is still my favourite. Especially when said with a pelvic thrust.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:46 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
Cool. Another possibly smutty sounding suburb.

Bangholme is still my favourite. Especially when said with a pelvic thrust.
Bald Knob is my favourite. Although it is of course not in Melbourne.

BB
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've said this one before, but it's worth repeating on the smut side of things.

"Pakenham upper"
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've said this one before, but it's worth repeating on the smut side of things.

"Pakenham upper"
Not so far from us...and you know what...never crossed my mind...
Old Feb 19th 2011, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

We went to look at a few rental properties and came across this house for sale. This place (as also similar houses down the same road) is renting for $750 p/w and according to the agent, the owner is looking for a minimum of $1.6M PLUS!
We really liked the house but after we did the sums they just didn't add up

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/Fo...did=2008815423
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:54 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon 1.6 million for a big house on a big block with views in Kew is pretty reasonable!

BB
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I reckon 1.6 million for a big house on a big block with views in Kew is pretty reasonable!

BB
Yep, they usually go for more than that in Kew, even smaller blocks.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

BB
Reasonable?...lol This house is renting for 750 p/w. House next door went for 650 p/w:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

No, my sums still don't add up, views and size notwithstanding. Especially when I can rent one for $750 p/w or even less
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

BB
PS: it is 1.6M PLUS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.