Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - any problem areas?

Melbourne - any problem areas?

Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:13 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by daveg
Hi
I've now heard from a few people to avoid Springvale / Noble Park areas.
When I was there on a reccy a few weeks ago, was looking around Dingley Village which seemed OK - but is close to the aforementioned.

Anyone with any reassurance (or not) about this area?

Otherwise I'll be looking further south (Frankston was recommended although I did not visit - but then I'm looking at an hours drive into Melbourne CBD)

Ta from a lurker gone newbie
Daveg
HI lurker
Frankston has some nicer bits and some not so nice bits. Rossi is the man to ask as he lives there! The beach is a bit ordinary, but always pretty busy.
I also think i'm right in saying the drive between Franston and the CBD in rush hour is a bit hellish and i'm not altogether sure its doable in an hour??
All the best with your new move.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:57 am
the place to be

daveg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.
Anyone any views on Dingley Village though?
TIA
Daveg
Old Feb 29th 2004, 9:51 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Hang on i'll find out where hev live's

Old Feb 29th 2004, 9:54 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by plumber
Hang on i'll find out where hev live's

The posh bit
Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:07 pm
the place to be

daveg is an unknown quantity at this point

eh??
Old Feb 29th 2004, 3:58 pm
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point

Does Australia have posh bits?

If it does, I'll move in and I'll soon lower the tone.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

[

I mentioned the 'druggy' areas in the city. Sometimes people can't avoid them at night because they may be struggling for a car park when they are visiting the theatre, club or restaurant. Again though, if you know, you avoid.

OzTennis [/QUOTE]

Drugs seem to be a problem in certain areas of Melbourne, I haveseen used needles on the beach at ST Kilda, along St Kilda road while cycling to work and on my one and only visit to Dandenong in a kids playground (and we only went to see if it was bad a people say). I'm not sure if the drugs use is worse than a British city but I think the climate allows users to shoot up in public places - in the UK they tend to stay indoors.

Areas such as St Kilda are probably great if you are single or in your 20/30's and want to go out a lot. As you move down the bay to Elwood and Brighton it becomes more family based. The best spot in my opinion is around Hampton and the Hampton end of Brighton. Very family focused and a good mix of aussies and expat Brits and Irish. You probably pay a bit extra but it is worth it.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sunny spells
Interesting discussion ....

could I ask if anybody knows what kind of area Hampton is?

safe? expensive?

thanks

Hampton is the best area in Melbourne (totally unbiased opinion based on the fact that we live there!!!)

We live on the border between Hampton and Brighton and the kids go to Hampton primary school. It is a great area and very family focused. We moved in in Dec and have already established a large social circle. Not everyone is a Corporate type (I'm not but quite a few are). The locals are friendly and as I've said before there are plenty of expat brits and irish about.

House prices are towards the top of the range you can expect to pay at least $800-900 plus for a decent place ($1m to 2M is not uncommon). Don't know about rents but from talking to people who rent there they are about $500 a week. Hocking Stuart and Buxton sell quite a few [properties in Hampton so have a look at their websites. The Buxton website does good profiles of suburbs.

Hampton offers a great lifestyle, cliose to the water, the city and the countryside.

Last edited by NJFOZ; Feb 29th 2004 at 10:59 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info on Hampton.

I got interested in it just for its location and sounds as a very lucky first guess...

I find the following http://www.domain.com.au/Search/Sear...ge=2&agid=4312

a bit more comprehensive than the Buxton.com.au site, =but it may just be personal preference.

From the above sites, it seems though as if one could get a 3 bed house in hampton for less than 500k AU$.

Should that ring alarm bells?

As we have no children yet, could we get something decent for less than 500k if distant from schools?

thank you.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 8:52 am
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey! I think Hampton would be considerably outside my price range. Still, I bet ya get a great house for ya money though.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by daveg
Hi
I've now heard from a few people to avoid Springvale / Noble Park areas.
When I was there on a reccy a few weeks ago, was looking around Dingley Village which seemed OK - but is close to the aforementioned.

Anyone with any reassurance (or not) about this area?

Otherwise I'll be looking further south (Frankston was recommended although I did not visit - but then I'm looking at an hours drive into Melbourne CBD)

Ta from a lurker gone newbie
Daveg
I agree, Dingley Village seems to be a lot better than Springvale and Noble Park. Frankston is a very mixed place - my brother and his family live there because initially he was working at the main and Franston campuses of Monash Uni. It has nice parts and not so nice parts but it has good value property and is handy for the Mornington Peninsula. I know from my brother's experience with his children that there are some good schools too.

Let's be brutally frank though - if a suburb like Springvale, Noble Park, Dandenong, Franston etc, etc has low property prices then they are bound to attract a certain type of person and family in disproportionate numbers aren't they (I'm excluding my brother's family from this because the other reason they wanted Frankston is that my sister-in-law comes from Gippsland and it was a good 'half way' point for work, in-laws etc).

OzTennis