Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - any problem areas?

Melbourne - any problem areas?

Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jezdavies
I went to uni in Lilydale and it's nice enough. There's a lot of nice houses around as the real estate is so cheap but you're a long way from the city centre of Melbourne. Chirnside Park is pretty much the same and is developing quickly with the new cinemas and all sorts of things popping up. Mooroolbark is pretty much the same.

Lilydale is known for having its fair share of 'scallies' and pregnant teenagers and plenty of bored teenagers. But I wouldn't call it a dangerous area by any means.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Dandenong is horrible and so is the surrounding area like Doveton, Hallam, etc Although Narre Warren and Berwick are fine.

Springvale is horrible but I'd take it any day over Toxteth or Tuebrook. I have friends who lived in Springvale and got by ok but it's still a nasty place.

Those areas are the only particularly bad ones east of the city centre in my opinion. There are still numerous other ordinary areas but I wouldn't call them dangerous.

As for the city centre, I think Oztennis mentioned Russell St at night. Its pretty bad but I've never been hassled there. But there's nothing there of any real interest at night so I don't see any reason why you'd want to go there in the first place.

Overall, if you take even the most basic precautions you'll be fine in Melbourne. It's a big city so there's bound to be places to avoid like the plague but in comparison to most cities its size, the crime isn't bad.

As for St Kilda, I think its great. Its still a bit rough around the edges but I've never had a bad night out there. I've never heard anyone say its the greatest place in the world and its generally good fun.

Good luck with the move.
Interesting comments Jez which I agree with. Which Uni did you attend at Lilydale? They have campuses everywhere now but I suspect Deakin, LaTrobe or RMIT (maybe Monash)?

You're right about Lilydale, Mooroolbark, Chirnside Park etc. They developed initially on the fringes of Melbourne where young families, low to mid range income families (and dare I say it recent migrants) and those seeking proximity to the bush and hills could get a new house with plenty of trees and views around. They are exactly as you say - affordable 'burbs with the usual social problems you get anywhere but not overly dangerous. You are a long way out from the CBD but on the other hand close to the Dandenongs, Great Dividing Range, Yarra Valley etc.

It is largely a matter of personal opinion but the bad areas don't seem as bad to me as others I have seen. Melbourne after all is at least 8 times the size of Manchester and Liverpool and more than half the size of London so it is bound to have it's fair share of such areas and undesirables. Take the usual precautions, avoid the dodgy areas at night if you can and you should be OK.

I mentioned the 'druggy' areas in the city. Sometimes people can't avoid them at night because they may be struggling for a car park when they are visiting the theatre, club or restaurant. Again though, if you know, you avoid.

OzTennis
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent four years a Swinburne Uni in Lilydale. Still a very small campus but its growing. I think Swinburne realised that the outer east was growing rapidly so they built a campus there and from what I've gathered its helped accelerate the area's development. Lots of new business/work opportunities there and growing all the time. Ideal for young families. It's strange how Melbourne has grown so far out to the east yet the stigma attached to the west means no one wants to move over there.

If you're not after big city living but would like to go into town every now and then for a day trip then Lilydale would be a good place to live.

I see what you mean about people having to park their cars in Russell Street etc. I never bothered driving into the city as I hate doing hook turns (!!!) so its never been an issue for me.

Anyway, its just started snowing outside (lightly) and its still a little sunny. Apparently its pretty much a blizzard just 45 minutes away in north Wales!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I spent four years a Swinburne Uni in Lilydale. Still a very small campus but its growing. I think Swinburne realised that the outer east was growing rapidly so they built a campus there and from what I've gathered its helped accelerate the area's development. Lots of new business/work opportunities there and growing all the time. Ideal for young families. It's strange how Melbourne has grown so far out to the east yet the stigma attached to the west means no one wants to move over there.

If you're not after big city living but would like to go into town every now and then for a day trip then Lilydale would be a good place to live.

I see what you mean about people having to park their cars in Russell Street etc. I never bothered driving into the city as I hate doing hook turns (!!!) so its never been an issue for me.

Anyway, its just started snowing outside (lightly) and its still a little sunny. Apparently its pretty much a blizzard just 45 minutes away in north Wales!
There you go, Swinburne is a Uni now. We used to jokingly refer to it as the Swinburne Higher Institute of Technology (think of the capital letters folks). I'll catch up with you tomorrow - cold in Scotland too but not snowing, lovely and sunny and crisp and we're off for a hit of tennis. Hook turns are fun aren't they if you are not used to them! We love it up the 'Paris end' of Collins Street and in Spring Street so invariably you have to go through the Russell St area to get to it.

OzTennis
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:52 pm
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, this has all been very interesting and useful stuff. I can also feel comfortable about the place we're heading now.

Right then, I wonder if I can hang on to work here in the UK until we go. Word out today is that major lay-offs are at hand., imminently. I booked tomorrow off too (a holiday), so I don't know if I'll have a job on Monday.

Ho-hum....
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I never bothered driving into the city as I hate doing hook turns (!!!) so its never been an issue for me.
That's made me laugh!! I loathed driving inthe CBD until I read the Melway and understood how to do a hook turn properly! Before that I used to end up doing long detours of left, left and left again until I got where I wanted to go! What was bad at hook turns was all the people queing in the left lane to turn right, then some out-of-towner trying to turn right from the right lane, and holding everyone up, neither lanes could move, gridlock and lots of honking!!

There are a few Melbuourne-specific driving laws arent' there? Not undertaking a stationary tram is another that fools the non-Melburnians...pretty frightening if you're about to get off the tram tho :scared:
Old Feb 27th 2004, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Interesting discussion ....

could I ask if anybody knows what kind of area Hampton is?

safe? expensive?

thanks

Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, make sure you don't get confused between Hampton and Hampton Park. Hampton Park is near Dandenong and is a hole!

Hampton is quite expensive and posh. Apparently lots of corporate fraud types. But its very safe.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, make sure you don't get confused between Hampton and Hampton Park. Hampton Park is near Dandenong and is a hole!

Hampton is quite expensive and posh. Apparently lots of corporate fraud types. But its very safe.
Can you expand on the
"corporate fraud types" please
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Sunny spells
Interesting discussion ....

could I ask if anybody knows what kind of area Hampton is?

safe? expensive?

thanks

Yep, as Jez says Hampton is an upmarket area - on or close to the bay to the south east of the CBD, sandwiched between Brighton and Sandringham. The whole area has well above average price property so I guess Jez's comment about 'corporate fraud types' means that lots of business people might live there!

OzTennis
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:43 am
Put big light on!

Call me thicko, but I still don't know what CBD means.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sausage
Call me thicko, but I still don't know what CBD means.
Central Business District!
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:49 am
Put big light on!

ooh, just seen in another thread...

Central Business District.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:51 am
Put big light on!

oops, posted at the same time, HP hehe

Thanks though
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:56 pm
the place to be

daveg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I've now heard from a few people to avoid Springvale / Noble Park areas.
When I was there on a reccy a few weeks ago, was looking around Dingley Village which seemed OK - but is close to the aforementioned.

Anyone with any reassurance (or not) about this area?

Otherwise I'll be looking further south (Frankston was recommended although I did not visit - but then I'm looking at an hours drive into Melbourne CBD)

Ta from a lurker gone newbie
Daveg
Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

mozzie will become famous soon enough

I'm no expert on Frankston, but I've been through it a few times and wasn't too impressed. There are quite a few new housing estates going up just north of Frankston that might be worth checking out, but be aware that the state government are planning to make the South Eastern freeway down there into a toll road, so as well as a long drive to the CBD it could be a bit pricey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.