Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - any problem areas?

Wikiposts

Melbourne - any problem areas?

Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

chloet is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving to Melbourne in May and going to stay with a friend in Elwood until we find our own place. I dont know anything about Elwood so does anyone have any opinion on whether its a nice suburb or not ??? Chloe...
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chloet
We are moving to Melbourne in May and going to stay with a friend in Elwood until we find our own place. I dont know anything about Elwood so does anyone have any opinion on whether its a nice suburb or not ??? Chloe...
Can't answer your question but glad to see you are on your way soon.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bondipom...We are both very excited...
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:46 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

elwood is cool - it sort of merges into st kilda - your near all cool bars and restaurants and its easy to get into the city - youve also got a beach.....

for your first time here - its great !
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Oh Great!
I love bars, restaurants and beaches!
Will let you know how we get on...Chloe....
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:37 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Have friends living in Elwood, they think its fab!
If you like city living and fairly ordinary beaches, you'll love it. Keep us posted.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I'm a city girl who loves any beach. My husband prefers the countryside....He wants to live in Adelaide but I know its way too quiet for me there. So I will definately keep you all posted..Chloe
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chloet
Yep, I must concur with the others, Elwood is a nice, well above average suburb. It is in between 'funky' St Kilda and 'stockbroker belt' Brighton both geographically and in property prices (St K about $550K median, Brighton about $1 mill median, Elwood $770K median). I guess the closer you are to Beach Road and the water the better as well. Elwood is close to lots of good restaurants, pubs, shops etc and not too far from the CBD (and you get nice views of Williamstown across the bay). Good luck!

I hope hevs got back safely from 'downtown Dandy'.

OzTennis
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:06 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

safe and sound and the proud owner of a beautiful stove!
Don't you think st Kilda is vastly overated though?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:09 pm
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by suffolkdiva
Hevs,

I'll bring you all sorts of lettuce when I come over tomorrow!!!

Roy,

Have to say I haven't seen any elephants in Chirnside recently, but then again I have only been to the shopping centre and out on the road through to Warrandyte!! It's got really built up recently and they've put up a big golf village complex called The Heritage Golf Club. Bit like Stepford wives up there and the locals don't seem to keen on it. I think they're now having trouble selling the houses.

Lilydale and Mooroolbark have their good areas, esp top end Cardigan Rd, Edinburgh and Belfast Rds which is where Lilydale and Mooroolbark join. The 'main drag' isn't quite as good, bit daggy really and yes cars get broken into at the station a lot. The train takes an hr and costs $12 return. We prefer this area as not being city people it only takes us a few mins to either be in the Yarra Valley or up in the Dandenongs.

Shame about the car break ins, but I guess that's the run of things these days.

$12 return doesn't sound too bad. I wonder how much monthly passes cost?

JayKay: Sounds great there. Lilydale\Kilsyth I mean. I am really looking forward to getting there. Gonna be a while yet though... there's a few things to achieve at this end first. First thing being the sale of our house.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:13 pm
Put big light on!

Originally posted by hevs

hehe, I reckon it is a bit too. Still, it IS a nice area there.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
safe and sound and the proud owner of a beautiful stove!
Good to hear you got back OK. Yep, I agree on St Kilda. What a lot call 'funky' others might call 'seedy'. St Kilda was and probably still is (I can't speak from first hand experience!) the main 'red light' district in Melbourne. It will need to change a lot to lose it's reputation of old.

However, I must admit that last year it seemed a lot better than it used to be (in the daytime anyway). We got the ferry from Williamstown across to St Kilda and had a nice time checking out the cake shops in Acland St, walking up to the Grand Prix track at Albert Park, even watching the Demons train at Junction Oval and some good tennis next door at MCC tennis club, finishing up with a stroll along the waterfront. We had a dodgy pizza in a place in Fitzroy Street which I struggled to keep down on the ferry back though!

OzTennis
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:28 pm
Put big light on!

hehe, I didn't mention the "seedy" aspect, although I did get that "seedy" feeling there, in St. Kilda. I imagine it's worse than it was when I went though. It's over 12 years since my visit.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Sausage
hehe, I didn't mention the "seedy" aspect, although I did get that "seedy" feeling there, in St. Kilda. I imagine it's worse than it was when I went though. It's over 12 years since my visit.
One of the seediest aspects is the countless British backpackers who stay in the cheap accommodation. (I'm only joking folks). No, it is the usual drugs, prostitution (to fund the former) problem which largely causes the 'seedy' image. The terrible incident with David Hookes didn't enhance the reputation of the place I'm sure.

OzTennis
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to uni in Lilydale and it's nice enough. There's a lot of nice houses around as the real estate is so cheap but you're a long way from the city centre of Melbourne. Chirnside Park is pretty much the same and is developing quickly with the new cinemas and all sorts of things popping up. Mooroolbark is pretty much the same.

Lilydale is known for having its fair share of 'scallies' and pregnant teenagers and plenty of bored teenagers. But I wouldn't call it a dangerous area by any means.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Dandenong is horrible and so is the surrounding area like Doveton, Hallam, etc Although Narre Warren and Berwick are fine.

Springvale is horrible but I'd take it any day over Toxteth or Tuebrook. I have friends who lived in Springvale and got by ok but it's still a nasty place.

Those areas are the only particularly bad ones east of the city centre in my opinion. There are still numerous other ordinary areas but I wouldn't call them dangerous.

As for the city centre, I think Oztennis mentioned Russell St at night. Its pretty bad but I've never been hassled there. But there's nothing there of any real interest at night so I don't see any reason why you'd want to go there in the first place.

Overall, if you take even the most basic precautions you'll be fine in Melbourne. It's a big city so there's bound to be places to avoid like the plague but in comparison to most cities its size, the crime isn't bad.

As for St Kilda, I think its great. Its still a bit rough around the edges but I've never had a bad night out there. I've never heard anyone say its the greatest place in the world and its generally good fun.

Good luck with the move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.