Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do not come to Australia if.....

Do not come to Australia if.....

Old Feb 27th 2004, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Do not come to Australia if.....

1. You don't like hot weather

2. You are very close to friends and family

3. You cannot easily adapt to life changes

4. You are intolerant of new concepts or routines

5. You do not find it easy to accept other views to your own

6. You are inflexible in your attitudes towards others

7. You feel very uncomfortable outside your normal comfort zone

Just a few things to chew over when making your decision to move here. It seems too many do not look at themselves before leaping. If you consider any of the above applies to you, then i would seriously consider what you intend to do. Just my opinion of course... but i feel making the move with these issues could lead to disaster.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 3:36 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

all valid points PP. i guess whether you enjoy your new move depends on how quickly you are able to readjust and integrate and above all your willingness to do so. looks at Badgersmount. he seems to ahve been pretty successful.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
all valid points PP. i guess whether you enjoy your new move depends on how quickly you are able to readjust and integrate and above all your willingness to do so. looks at Badgersmount. he seems to ahve been pretty successful.

I think i should have re worded the title of the thread..i don't necessarily mean DON'T come, but more look towards assessing yourself as a person honestly, before making the move. If any of the above issues apply, then there needs to be some serious rethinking.

I find it quite amazing that this forum is full of all the other aspects of coming here... immigration issues, house buying, weather, schools blah,blah,blah... but very little at all about you, the person and how well you honestly fit the criteria for succeeding in the move prior to coming. The same applies to all other members of the family too.

When i read some of the posts discussing dislikes and unhappiness, i can't help thinking that if these people had sat down and really looked into their own attitudes and personality type, they may have been better not coming. It does not mean they are an inferior person or a failure, it just means they are not suited to making such a huge life change.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 4:45 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

well I think we past the PP test

Husband has been working for the same company since university, and this is his main concern. But he says he will have to change job some day so why not in Oz. Just like do we move to the other side of town or the other side of the world?

Always up for a challenge
Old Feb 27th 2004, 4:47 pm
WBB

Default Re: Do not come to Australia if.....

Originally posted by podgypossum

numbers 3-7 could just as easily apply to coming to this forum.

Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:19 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB
numbers 3-7 could just as easily apply to coming to this forum.

Agree PP

...and no good thinking you can run away from probs here by 'starting again'. History has a nasty way of repeatoing itself.

Similar problems....similar successes - from what I've seen.

A2O
Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, good points PP!

Also serious thinking needed if:
- you are over 40 (jobs....)
- have children over the age of about 15

Now please note I said serious thinking, and not don't come

I also think, the older you are the harder it MIGHT be, because you are more used to you lifestyle now, ie long term friends, family.
Of course, you can also have no real friends when you are 'old', or really close friends when you are young...
And you could also be used to moving around, so are 'detached'.

Also, I think if you are really dependant on/used to family/friends for things like babysitting, it COULD be hard. Especially if you know NOONE where you are going.

Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:52 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

good post PP, and very true.

One thing I would add is that even considering your points, sometimes it's good for people to step out of their comfort zone and stretch themselves - no matter how much they think they may hate it.

But if they think they're not the personality type that would enjoy emigration, then they need to be prepared for the fact they might hate it!

and not blame external factors - just accept that the new culture didn't match their personality/situation....
Old Feb 27th 2004, 6:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

When i read some of the posts discussing dislikes and unhappiness, i can't help thinking that if these people had sat down and really looked into their own attitudes and personality type, they may have been better not coming. It does not mean they are an inferior person or a failure, it just means they are not suited to making such a huge life change.
I hope you are not suggesting that if anyone finds fault with Australia or has difficulty in settling in that it is simply down to a personality trait or some personal weakness as that would be a massive and untestable generalisation.

Perhaps some people are simply taken in by the hype and then realise they have made a mistake.

Are you saying that Australia is perfect and anyone who does not find it so must have personal flaws?

This is more nonsensical psychobabble.

G
Old Feb 27th 2004, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

No..thats is not what i am saying G and you know it!! ... i wondered who would be first to suggest that

And it is no way nonsensical psychobabble... are you seriously suggesting that someone who has these traits SHOULDN'T look at themselves before making a big decision like this??.. but hey, what would i know..i only left UK 2.5yrs ago!!
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

seems like we will be perfect then!
kind regards
rach x
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No..thats is not what i am saying G and you know it!! ... i wondered who would be first to suggest that

And it is no way nonsensical psychobabble... are you seriously suggesting that someone who has these traits SHOULDN'T look at themselves before making a big decision like this??.. but hey, what would i know..i only left UK 2.5yrs ago!!
Sorry PP
I really do not know what traits you are on about.
If you can not find work or if your kids can't settle or if you find work crap or low paid etc.What has that got do do with your personality?
You are not suggesting that finding a decent job or house to live in is determined by your personality or are you?
You are on thin ice if you are.

You may as well argue that those who migrate successfully are the ones who can't hack it in the UK.
That would not be a popular assertion would it?

Most people going to Australia or anywhere else do not have a clue if they will succeed or not.

Do you think there should be mandatory Psychometric testing for all prospective migrants? That is the logical extension of your theory.

Interesting idea though

G
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Grayling
Sorry PP
If you can not find work or if your kids can't settle or if you find work crap or low paid etc.What has that got do do with your personality?
You are not suggesting that finding a decent job or house to live in is determined by your personality or are you?

You may as well argue that those who migrate successfully are the ones who can't hack it in the UK.

Most people going to Australia or anywhere else do not have a clue if they will succeed or not.

Do you think there should be mandatory Psychometric testing for all prospective migrants? That is the logical extension of your theory.

Interesting idea though

G

G..... instead of glancing at what i have written please read carefully. I said these are a few things to chew over...NOT base your whole move on it!! Of course things like jobs and other environmental factors are important...and where did i say that personality had anything to do with that??? My point was, that whilst people on this forum spend a lot of time in making decisions based on their profession, finances and a desire for the good life, very often, little time is spent considering if they have what it takes to deal with a huge life changing experience.

As for arguing that it is those who can't hack it in UK will only be successful migrants?...where did that idea come from?..i don't see what the relevance of that statement is...or how you can make a comparison. Personally i would think that if you couldnt hack it in your own country you sure as hell won't make it anywhere else!!
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
Sorry PP

Interesting idea though

G

I'm with Grayling. PP's test is a good start - especially point 3. Another thing that would be very difficult to test for; that people's views may change over time. Mine did.

To make people assimilate as fast as possible and reduce stress, I think DIMIA should require either that people had a job before they emigrate or had a whole lot of interviews lined up!!
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a few things to chew over when making your decision to move here. It seems too many do not look at themselves before leaping. If you consider any of the above applies to you, then i would seriously consider what you intend to do. Just my opinion of course... but i feel making the move with these issues could lead to disaster.
Isn't this a bit obvious?

Muzzman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.