Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice

Looking for advice

Old Oct 1st 2022, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice

Originally Posted by Mrs M
Your input appears to go off at tangents. Whats the Prime minister ...... Over achiever, under achiever got to do with anything I have said? Enlighten me please. Tony Blair was he an achiever?He certainly was from making money!

When it comes to property kids will be fine you said. What Rubbish ! Some will but most won't be.

The next part of your message needs deciphering Lol! Someone save me! Ha ha!

And then you blast off without a shred of Knowledge on interest rates. I will put you right.... I we'll remember 14% interest rates you don't judging by your comments.

Facts... There is NO correlation between interest rate rises and house prices.

The interest rate hike is at this moment unknown! Only a fool would say people will be alright. Look at liz truss and her recent policy ! The £ is ridiculously low the worst it has been for
37 years! The u.k. is finished as far as wealth goes in ( My opinion) Zero resources, its been selling the silver for decades! All the decent worthwhile businesses have been sold to foreign investors as has lots of the best real estate. They can't even run the Dartford tunnel! That was sold to the French! (ridiculous!) Thats earned the French shed loads as has EDF. Most water companies are owned by other countries. All of our Chocolate companies sold to America years ago. Rang rover, jaguar Aston Martin. Even Mg owned by China. The list goes on anyway basically the U.K Has been living off the silver and has a ridiculous social welfare system.
They keep blaming migrants for coming.... I don't in fact I would come if I were a migrant Its the system that's to blame anyway I digressed but the crux of the matter is.... Interest rate rises .... It ain't over yet! Its anybodies guess where it might go.

THE END. (I hope)
Is the British Prime Minister and over achiever? What a very odd thing to ask. I have no idea. I live in Australia and I haven't followed the new PM that closely. You tell me clever trousers.

One that certainly wasn't and Britain dodged a bullet there was Jezza Corbyn. There is a prime example of mediocrity.

How did you turn interest rates into what Britian owns? Amazing skills you possess. Well you hit the nail on the head. Britain creates stuff then sells it. Only a poor business person would create stuff and lock it away.

Hope this helps.

​​​​​​
Old Oct 1st 2022, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Is the British Prime Minister and over achiever? What a very odd thing to ask. I have no idea. I live in Australia and I haven't followed the new PM that closely. You tell me clever trousers.

One that certainly wasn't and Britain dodged a bullet there was Jezza Corbyn. There is a prime example of mediocrity.

How did you turn interest rates into what Britian owns? Amazing skills you possess. Well you hit the nail on the head. Britain creates stuff then sells it. Only a poor business person would create stuff and lock it away.

Hope this helps.

​​​​​​
I actually thought it was the END as its boring now but ...... There's always one! Lol!

Ok let's begin nice and easy. Ok Regarding A prime minister over achiever comment you said and I agree with you it is an odd thing to say! Ha ha ha! Look above in the thread who said it in the first place? Oh ! I think it was you.

So yes clever trousers did tell you. lol!
The origin was with you.

Ok ... Next Lol! Jeremy Corbyn was never prime minister and where did that statement come from?

How did I turn interest rates in to what Britain owns. Well everything is connected and entwined. I believe Australia for the most part dodged the GFC Due to the commodities boom etc and it may well come out of the recent crisis without too many problems.

Its all a matter of opinions of course the recent U.K. Situation will be looked upon as very clever devaluing the £ or very stupid most are of the opinion it was and is a stupid decision personally you will be pleased to learn I have no opinion on it.

The next part of your message is nonsense known only to you!

Ok I have finished now. Goodbye !
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 5:56 am
Just Joined

emmaosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sweetpea8610
Hi everyone.

Looking for some advice about emigrating to Australia. I’m a 35 (nearly 36) year old nurse with 10 years experience. The majority of that being in critical care however currently not working in that field. Looking to make the big move with my fiancé and 3 year old.

I am aware it will involve a lot of planning and money and willing to make sacrifices. Looking for advice anyone may have, such as what steps to take and what order, when to apply to Ahpra for my registration, visa advice etc. Any advice welcome Thank you!
Australia is a great place to live but a long way from home.. My advice is first make sure that your qualifications will be accepted so you can be recognised for work, it’s nursing and midwifery board of Australia who assess your ability to register here as a nurse they’ll have online advice I’m sure. After that check government websites to make sure you satisfy the immigration requirements too, you’re young enough and being a nurse is a skilled profession. When you’ve done both of those you can start to apply for a licence, AHPRA are the people that do that. You do these things before you even think about applying for jobs.

When it comes to looking for jobs there are lots of agencies trying to recruit nurses they could help with applying for visa’s. I’m not a nurse but this is what I did, it meant I was tied to a particular employer for a while but it saved me money up front and I think made it quicker.
Alternatively if you want to organise your own visa to migrate independently you can contact hospitals directly, of course no point doing that until you have the visa and are either living here or just about to travel here.
There are undoubtedly nursing jobs available, we have shortages like many countries around the world, where I live in Victoria the government is trying to encourage more people to study nursing as well as fast tracking immigration for overseas trained nurses.

Australia is still a popular place to migrate too and demand is high so the process isn’t always quick. You will need copies of all sorts of documents from your qualifications to personal information, you often need medical checks too, the more organised you are the better.

Good luck!
Old Oct 17th 2022, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Australia's COL is higher than the UK's but not by much, so it's swings and roundabouts basically. Alcohol cheaper in the UK but many other things cheaper in Australia - petrol and diesel, meat, consumer electronics, insurance, many new cars etc. Exchange rates are a double edged sword - when they are in your favour, they're not for someone else. Right now the advantage is with those who hold AUD and want to deal with GBP - great for me but not for a migrant to Australia

What's happening around the world is shortages of everything due to supply/demand issues. The main causes of this are pandemic and Ukraine. As the world emerges from the kung flu overreation, demand is increasing but supply is struggling to keep up - labour, computer chips, fuel, accomodation, building materials, many food items etc. The lack of supply means that manufacturers and producers will be moving to try and meet this demand and supply will eventually catch up with demand. Because everyone is trying to make a buck, it always does. The world has been through this before many times and it's sorted itself out. The same will happen today. I agree that housing is hard to get ATM so migration here would be difficult for many but that's not always going to be the case. Interest rates are going up, and will continue to rise for the foreseeable future. That's already having an effect on house prices, it has to as that's the point of raising them

I've heard these doom and gloom stories so many times before - this one is different, it's never been this bad, we're stuffed this time etc. This is never the case though, it's always a load of bollocks

Anyway, the economy is strong, everyone has a job and summer's coming. Life's good
I wouldn't worry so much especially living on this side of the world. Europe and the UK are entering a recession and the US Is soon to follow meanwhile we are remaining pretty resilient. The shortages of everything was driven by the constant lock-downs and the people who supported it. Now the RBA like most other central banks are aiming to put the breaks on the economy until supply catches up. Spending is already decreasing which will slow right down next year. Essentially the banks are trying to get us to stop giving money away for over priced products by taking our money themselves. They will give it back and drop interest rates once they feel there is an equilibrium in the market. House prices are dropping aswell which is a good sign. Hopefully the building industry can catch up. Perhaps recessions abroad will bring much needed nurses and tradies our way. Their loss is our gain

Old Oct 30th 2022, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
I wouldn't worry so much especially living on this side of the world. Europe and the UK are entering a recession and the US Is soon to follow meanwhile we are remaining pretty resilient. The shortages of everything was driven by the constant lock-downs and the people who supported it. Now the RBA like most other central banks are aiming to put the breaks on the economy until supply catches up. Spending is already decreasing which will slow right down next year. Essentially the banks are trying to get us to stop giving money away for over priced products by taking our money themselves. They will give it back and drop interest rates once they feel there is an equilibrium in the market. House prices are dropping aswell which is a good sign. Hopefully the building industry can catch up. Perhaps recessions abroad will bring much needed nurses and tradies our way. Their loss is our gain
Wow! Did you know there is a top job for people like you in the .U.K. I mean you definetly couldn't do any worse than it is.
Maybe send your resume and forecast for of the outlook in Australia.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Wow! Did you know there is a top job for people like you in the .U.K. I mean you definetly couldn't do any worse than it is.
Maybe send your resume and forecast for of the outlook in Australia.
The UK is an absoloute mess at the moment. There aren't enough Irishmen in the world who could fix that . In all seriousness though I hope people back there are able to cope well over this coming winter.

I could send you the forecast for the building industry In Western Australia if you'd like .
Old Nov 4th 2022, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Looking for advice

The UK is an absoloute mess at the moment. There aren't enough Irishmen in the world who could fix that . In all seriousness though I hope people back there are able to cope well over this coming winter.

I could send you the forecast for the building industry In Western Australia if you'd like .
Go for it! I love a forecast.. Is it a long term forecast or just a short term one? My forecast is that material costs will continue to rise, more developers will go under, Mortgage rates will put pressure on buyers, house prices will stagnate a bit and then............. They will all be blown to pieces in a nuclear war!

Ok now your forecast please..... Oh any other forecasters are welcome.. Where's Amazulu?
Old Nov 6th 2022, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it! I love a forecast.. Is it a long term forecast or just a short term one? My forecast is that material costs will continue to rise, more developers will go under, Mortgage rates will put pressure on buyers, house prices will stagnate a bit and then............. They will all be blown to pieces in a nuclear war!

Ok now your forecast please..... Oh any other forecasters are welcome.. Where's Amazulu?
Well nuclear war would go a way towards taking attention away from the economic mess that was allowed to develop. Simple answer is no one knows just how far house prices will fall and you will get little insight in Australia, with so much under wraps . We don't have a tabloid press that equates UK , meaning it will simply creep up on us without as much awareness.
We are far too beholden to certain influences over government , hence a positive picture is largely maintained. The hope is turbo immigration , will save a collapse regardless of falling living standards in the process. Thing being migrants must question the worth of migrating at some point, taking into account the huge costs around it.
Old Nov 7th 2022, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Looking for advice

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well nuclear war would go a way towards taking attention away from the economic mess that was allowed to develop. Simple answer is no one knows just how far house prices will fall and you will get little insight in Australia, with so much under wraps . We don't have a tabloid press that equates UK , meaning it will simply creep up on us without as much awareness.
We are far too beholden to certain influences over government , hence a positive picture is largely maintained. The hope is turbo immigration , will save a collapse regardless of falling living standards in the process. Thing being migrants must question the worth of migrating at some point, taking into account the huge costs around it.
Personal opinion the U.K. Has been ruined by too much migration and the so called globalisation in my personal opinion.
It is completely negative to bring in more people why? Because on one hand the shortfall in labour may be filled in the short term but it just exacerbates the long term problem as more people mean... More houses, more school places needed, bigger burden on health, bigger burden on welfare and eventually retirement.

As a regular traveller back and forth I have seen the dynamics altering immensely over the last 20 years. Without doubt (my opinion) Australia has been governed far better than the u.k. It is actually very sad to see what has and is happening in the u.k.(my opinion )

I don't think it is likely that many professionals will come to Australia as you said it isn't a viable option but I think lots of deliveroo people might come actually maybe they can leave the u.k. and come to Australia.
The whole process of migration is a joke! We pay (I say we I am referring to all trade and professional people from every country) Lots of money to try and move legally to another country but the best way is to just turn up in a dinghy!
Old Nov 7th 2022, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Personal opinion the U.K. Has been ruined by too much migration and the so called globalisation in my personal opinion.
It is completely negative to bring in more people why? Because on one hand the shortfall in labour may be filled in the short term but it just exacerbates the long term problem as more people mean... More houses, more school places needed, bigger burden on health, bigger burden on welfare and eventually retirement.

As a regular traveller back and forth I have seen the dynamics altering immensely over the last 20 years. Without doubt (my opinion) Australia has been governed far better than the u.k. It is actually very sad to see what has and is happening in the u.k.(my opinion )

I don't think it is likely that many professionals will come to Australia as you said it isn't a viable option but I think lots of deliveroo people might come actually maybe they can leave the u.k. and come to Australia.
The whole process of migration is a joke! We pay (I say we I am referring to all trade and professional people from every country) Lots of money to try and move legally to another country but the best way is to just turn up in a dinghy!
Sad thing being many voted for Brexit thinking migration would decline substantially. Very far from the truth obviously. Just a change in geographic location of arrivals.Turbo migration is little more than a ponzi scheme , that favours certain vested interests but not the majority of people.
In the case of Australia, it has been compromised with people of ill repute being admitted and the system being abused with ease by certain people in the industry. We in Australia should return to a more normal intake and take back control. As forv Australia being governed better that is debatable. Luck has fallen on Australia's side to cover a lot of errors . Remember Australia has been inflicted with regular change of Prime Minister just as UK has. Neither so great but UK has been shown to be especially bad. The Torries have discredited themselves. One can imagine the outcry from tabloids like the Daily Mail/Express/ The Sun and so on if it was Colbyn in charge and running the country down to such an extent.
Old Nov 7th 2022, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Sad thing being many voted for Brexit thinking migration would decline substantially. Very far from the truth obviously. Just a change in geographic location of arrivals.Turbo migration is little more than a ponzi scheme , that favours certain vested interests but not the majority of people.
In the case of Australia, it has been compromised with people of ill repute being admitted and the system being abused with ease by certain people in the industry. We in Australia should return to a more normal intake and take back control. As forv Australia being governed better that is debatable. Luck has fallen on Australia's side to cover a lot of errors . Remember Australia has been inflicted with regular change of Prime Minister just as UK has. Neither so great but UK has been shown to be especially bad. The Torries have discredited themselves. One can imagine the outcry from tabloids like the Daily Mail/Express/ The Sun and so on if it was Colbyn in charge and running the country down to such an extent.
Fair point with circumstances. being better for Australia but nonetheless it is definitely in a better shape. My own politics have been more conservative than labour but having said that I have always been to wealthy to benefit from Labour and too poor to benefit from the tories so whichever didn't make too much difference as I belong the group most clobbered whoever gets control.

My opinion.... The new tax raid especially CGT Will completely destroy the conservatives at the next election. It is a very brave or foolish move for a conservative to hit the people that are their core voters.
They definitely should hit the big American firms like Amazon that pay pathetic amounts of tax considering how much they make in the u.k. But it does not happen. Actually I voted Brexit but not for any reason other than self determination I think I was stupid enough to believe Britain would forge ahead without the shackles of European bureaucracy I would still vote leave. I think the European project was and is a good idea but it was too in favour of France and Germany in my opinion and I also think expansion was far too quick and has caused huge debt. I don't think any European countries have weathered the storm any better than the uk at present and the future is unknown.

I would bet on a Labour landslide at the next election.
Old Nov 7th 2022, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fair point with circumstances. being better for Australia but nonetheless it is definitely in a better shape. My own politics have been more conservative than labour but having said that I have always been to wealthy to benefit from Labour and too poor to benefit from the tories so whichever didn't make too much difference as I belong the group most clobbered whoever gets control.

My opinion.... The new tax raid especially CGT Will completely destroy the conservatives at the next election. It is a very brave or foolish move for a conservative to hit the people that are their core voters.
They definitely should hit the big American firms like Amazon that pay pathetic amounts of tax considering how much they make in the u.k. But it does not happen. Actually I voted Brexit but not for any reason other than self determination I think I was stupid enough to believe Britain would forge ahead without the shackles of European bureaucracy I would still vote leave. I think the European project was and is a good idea but it was too in favour of France and Germany in my opinion and I also think expansion was far too quick and has caused huge debt. I don't think any European countries have weathered the storm any better than the uk at present and the future is unknown.

I would bet on a Labour landslide at the next election.
The Tories have lost the plot and Labour have failed largely to fill in the missing bits. To leave the biggest market (The EU) in the world was folly, but yet to be fully realized. There will be little likelihood of a trade deal with America , more likely a degree of antagonism of the Ireland mess.

Britain appears in the process of dismantling many of the regulations inherited from The EU , some okay, but those impacting working rights and certain protections not so. Leaves people open to exploitation and abuse having little course to remedy such things. Just why the Tories refuse to impose a impost on the outrageous gains made by energy and oil companies during the present crisis is insane. Even the head of I think it was Shell said he thought his company should pay more tax. But one can put it down to ideological. reasoning , quite divorced from what is really needed.

My concerns with UK would be the continued decline of the NHS. That and the dire shortage of available housing. It appears private landlords are starting to depart the market. There are few social housing options open (thanks to The Tories) Not to dissimilar to Australia, although here in OZ things, especially negatives are kept under wraps more.

I can see Britain, at some stage, a few years down the road, applying for a status like Norway in relation to The EU. The Tories, usually not pro-immigration, are advocating the need for increased migration with the loss of EU workers. These will come it appears from India and China. (and so on) Very hard to see any advantages at all in leaving The EU, quite the contrary. Even makes difficult the return of those arriving on Kent beaches that much more difficult.
Old Nov 8th 2022, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

The Tories have lost the plot and Labour have failed largely to fill in the missing bits. To leave the biggest market (The EU) in the world was folly, but yet to be fully realized. There will be little likelihood of a trade deal with America , more likely a degree of antagonism of the Ireland mess.

Britain appears in the process of dismantling many of the regulations inherited from The EU , some okay, but those impacting working rights and certain protections not so. Leaves people open to exploitation and abuse having little course to remedy such things. Just why the Tories refuse to impose a impost on the outrageous gains made by energy and oil companies during the present crisis is insane. Even the head of I think it was Shell said he thought his company should pay more tax. But one can put it down to ideological. reasoning , quite divorced from what is really needed.

My concerns with UK would be the continued decline of the NHS. That and the dire shortage of available housing. It appears private landlords are starting to depart the market. There are few social housing options open (thanks to The Tories) Not to dissimilar to Australia, although here in OZ things, especially negatives are kept under wraps more.

I can see Britain, at some stage, a few years down the road, applying for a status like Norway in relation to The EU. The Tories, usually not pro-immigration, are advocating the need for increased migration with the loss of EU workers. These will come it appears from India and China. (and so on) Very hard to see any advantages at all in leaving The EU, quite the contrary. Even makes difficult the return of those arriving on Kent beaches that much more difficult.
Much of your post I agree with however... It is clear you are a northerner blaming the tories for the social housing shortage is ridiculous ! Why? Because when Margaret thatcher bought in the right to buy the only beneficiaries who received discount were in fact social housing tenants it gave them the opportunity to own their own home along with the fact we did not have anything like the immigrants and need for social housing. Another point... We had 13 years!! Yes 13 years of Labour in power so ask the question.. What did they do to reverse or improve the social housing situation? So let's not blame Thatcher entirely she took power from the unions and unleashed the city Britain prospered ! £1.00 = $2.20 u.s.in the eighties. 2004 £1.00 =$ 2.40 A.U. Blair took us to war and actually encouraged immigrants! To be fair most developed countries have a shortage of housing for lower paid or those in need of social housing.

Regarding E.U. I do not agree it was folly! Only time will tell. Remain peoples predictions of u.k. falling of a cliff didn't happen! The E.U. countries are no better off than the u.k. just look at the figures for France and Italy and Spain. The European project was great for poor nations and old eastern bloc but not so good for U.K. As I said time will tell. Anything can and does happen I mean China was behind Spain economically in the 1950s. It was a communist country with nothing but boy have they done well! Many hands mean light work and it has not been resources built apart from labour used in manufacturing. My opinion the western greed outsourcing companies etc are mostly responsible as technology was stolen it was handed on a plate in the stupid belief that China was another member of the international club but how wrong! Now it is all coming home to roost building the largest navy in the world? What for? defence! Lol! Just like Hitler in the 1930s but this time around it is a different ball game altogether. Sorry I digress! Lol!
Old Nov 8th 2022, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Much of your post I agree with however... It is clear you are a northerner blaming the tories for the social housing shortage is ridiculous ! Why? Because when Margaret thatcher bought in the right to buy the only beneficiaries who received discount were in fact social housing tenants it gave them the opportunity to own their own home along with the fact we did not have anything like the immigrants and need for social housing. Another point... We had 13 years!! Yes 13 years of Labour in power so ask the question.. What did they do to reverse or improve the social housing situation? So let's not blame Thatcher entirely she took power from the unions and unleashed the city Britain prospered ! £1.00 = $2.20 u.s.in the eighties. 2004 £1.00 =$ 2.40 A.U. Blair took us to war and actually encouraged immigrants! To be fair most developed countries have a shortage of housing for lower paid or those in need of social housing.

Regarding E.U. I do not agree it was folly! Only time will tell. Remain peoples predictions of u.k. falling of a cliff didn't happen! The E.U. countries are no better off than the u.k. just look at the figures for France and Italy and Spain. The European project was great for poor nations and old eastern bloc but not so good for U.K. As I said time will tell. Anything can and does happen I mean China was behind Spain economically in the 1950s. It was a communist country with nothing but boy have they done well! Many hands mean light work and it has not been resources built apart from labour used in manufacturing. My opinion the western greed outsourcing companies etc are mostly responsible as technology was stolen it was handed on a plate in the stupid belief that China was another member of the international club but how wrong! Now it is all coming home to roost building the largest navy in the world? What for? defence! Lol! Just like Hitler in the 1930s but this time around it is a different ball game altogether. Sorry I digress! Lol!
No northerner here. Barely ever ventured up there. I'm a bit lost as to why you consider it okay to have sold off council housing at a discount rate, removing the possibility of future generations the opportunity to live in such a facility. To top it off they could then sell after a short period at massive profit, not obliged to return any of that profit for future construction. The result being as we see now so many without any protection of tenure living in private housing and apt to become homeless with rising rents to compensate for rising interest rates or even just greed.

Thatcher took Britain to war as well. I doubt ever many Brit's had ever heard of The Falklands prior to that. But no excuses for Blair taking Britian to war and unquestionably following the Americans. Actually it was a Labour government (Wilson) that refused to follow America in getting involved in Vietnam. They had wanted UK involvement.

EU no better off?? Are you sure? France has capped their energy prices at a far higher amount than UK. Medical systems far better as well. Britain of course, if paid more tax, could have a Rolls Royce system like the Nordic world, with people would most likely be happier as well. Note Finland is said to be the happiest nation in the world.

China changed their stance in the eighties and moved towards authoritarian nationalism where freedoms are curtailed for the individual in the name of the greater good. It would not go down well in the West. It will still take a few decades to pass American might overall, but hardly matters as increasingly gains the ability to do a lot of damage. China tends to play the long game.
With the decline of America this will likely embolden China but make America dangerous as well. We are living in very uncertain times with democracy and liberal capitalism being challenged.
Old Nov 8th 2022, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you listen/read/watch any British media outlets (bar a couple) and believe what you read then I would say that’s quite niave of you because if you were to believe it all ie the cost of living crisis the world is going to end sooner than later etc then you only have to walk past or go in the shops,
bars hairdressers cafes and they are still as busy, houses are still selling and shopping trolleys are full and you do (well I do) think “what crisis’? I have just been in a queue at Boots and people are buying Christmas presents etc and lots of them I could not get a table at two of our local restaurants over the weekend, there is plenty of work here more so than since we returned in 2010. Interest rates have risen in mortgages which had been so low for years even we could not believe how low after living in Australia but the upside savings are now earning a nice interest and the Irish need to look out for themselves for a change lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.