Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice

Looking for advice

Old Sep 16th 2022, 2:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice

Originally Posted by rammygirl
But like the houses most don’t actually own the cars (or the latest iPhones they use) all are on finance/contracts of some sort. They get talked up to bigger, better models and it it also much more common to have a company car in the UK.

I agree that Australia is more egalitarian on the basis of the minimum wage and the fact that skilled workers earn living wages. My son supported himself through uni here (no grant just HECS loan) living independently by casual shifts at a cafe no way could he have done that in the UK.

Our friends son who's 18 (maybe 19 now) and is studying at TAFE, works part-time for Fedex out at the airport. He's on $41/hr. Apparently, the work's pretty hard but in anyone's language that's good candy for an unskilled job. Most young people in Australia who work in service jobs are doing it to make money while doing other things like studying or as a stepping stone to other things (a neighbours daughter is a till operator at Aldi but is on a management trainee track and her current role is a requirement). I was struck by how in the UK that for most of the young people doing the same kind of jobs, that's it, that's their career. In my average Joe, middle-class circle in Australia, I don't know any kids who are doing service jobs as a way of life

Agree about the vehicle finance in the UK - contract hire/leasing is a big thing over there. I used to do it and as a contractor could put the lease payments as a tax deduction - although I don't think you can anymore in a lot of instances. I used to get a new vehicle every year - and as there was an oversupply of cars back then, some of the deals were incredible. After my son was born and just before we moved to Australia, I got a fully-loaded Renault people carrier for GBP99 a month on a 12 month contract. A boring as batshit car but what a bargain! I've checked and, unfortunately, those kind of deals are no longer available

Last edited by Amazulu; Sep 16th 2022 at 3:20 am.
Old Sep 16th 2022, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In my average Joe, middle-class circle in Australia, I don't know any kids who are doing service jobs as a way of life
I nearly choked on a sausage roll. So are you telling us that in Australia only students work in service jobs?
There is a labour shortage in Europe too, though many people doing service jobs see it as a way of life be it hospitality, finance, healthcare, security, education, customer service etc..
Australia must have really changed in the last few years...............

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 16th 2022 at 7:54 am.
Old Sep 16th 2022, 12:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I nearly choked on a sausage roll. So are you telling us that in Australia only students work in service jobs?
There is a labour shortage in Europe too, though many people doing service jobs see it as a way of life be it hospitality, finance, healthcare, security, education, customer service etc..
Australia must have really changed in the last few years...............
No I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that I don't know any kids doing service jobs that have no other plans for the future - I reread what I wrote and that's what I said

Old Sep 18th 2022, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I regret mentioning clean cities as it's distracted from the debate and you've focussed on it, but anyhoo. A few years ago, I spent some time in Liverpool. A great city and I loved the place and people but it was absolutely filthy. The same with Manchester (which I didn't like as much). The point I was trying to make was that just spending some time in a city here will show you what a wealthy, functioning country Australia is. It is wealthier and healthier than the UK - HDI, per capita GDP, life expectancy, disposable income, purchasing power etc. It just is. As I was saying, if some don't like these facts, that's their indaba, not Australia's
Honestly I found your opinion to be so far off the mark that if you do not already wear glasses then you should, now that might sound rude and I was brought “well” but cannot help myself, Filthy….then you have must not have travelled to cities/countries that I have and although it’s not a nice thing to say but a lot of them were “filthy” when we lived in Australia some suburbs looked “down in their look” usually the older suburbs but that because of age at least in WA they use to have pavement’s on both sides of the street and delis etc you could walk to. My Aussie born and bred friend you to be aghast that I like to visit (especially the older “towns”) different areas In Perth that her were (her words) “Rough as guts” now that’s her perspective as she lives in a very affluent area south of the river (on the river) I worked “on the district” in Perth and I can say some places even surprised me and as my DH says there’s rough/dirty in all countries it’s just dressed up differently.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for using the quote system - it makes conversations easier to follow and is just basic common courtesy

Salaries are higher because there is always a supply/demand equation with the availabilty of labour - always. COL pressures have nothing to do with it. People in, say, Mozambique may earn $1 a day, yet a loaf of bread probably costs 50c. They earn a low salary but their COL is high. They could ask for $2 a day but they ain't going to get it as there's a lot of other people chasing that $1 and 50c loaf. Now scale that up to a Western country like Australia and the same equation is in play - your COL is rising and you ask for a raise. Your employer today has to pay it as he needs your services as labour supply is tight, yet there have been situations where there has been high inflation yet incomes have not risen as labour is available and there is no need for employers to increase wages. Supply/demand. End of. Levels of disposable incomes are high in Australia - much higher than the UK. According to the OECD, Australia is 4th in the world for per capita disposable income and the UK is 14th. If you need me to explain what disposable income is, I'd be happy to. Boil it down and the standard of living and levels of wealth are higher in Australia compared to the UK. They just are.

Hope this helps

You started this debate and if you're bored after one reply, why bother in the first place?

Bizarre
What a <snip> comes to mind! About Quote..... If you need me to explain what disposable income is I'D be happy to. Lol! I didn't start it I offered my opinions that's what this forum is all about its not about <snip> trying to belittle other peoples opinions. Yours are no more valid than anyone else's so basically wind your neck in! As Harry enfield said I am probably considerably richer than you! Lol! I Have been running successful businesses for over 39 years I don't think I need a <snip> To explain anything to me about supply and demand.

Anyway as I said bored now. So in essence go forth and multiply as I'm not interested to hear the word of God Amazulu further on this subject.

How did I do folks? No don't answer it seriously Lol! Peace and understanding

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 18th 2022 at 6:52 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

I agree but data on discretionary income by country is hard to get - there's certainly nothing rigorous out there. The best I've found is things like the best country to be born in or where to live, quality of life etc. Numbeo has some data but it's a low rent source:
https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-li...by_country.jsp

If you filter that table on purchasing power, Australia is 2nd - outf**kingstanding

The EIU (which is a quality source) has some data but it's 10 years old:
https://www.economist.com/news/2012/...ottery-of-life

Interestingly, in 1988, the UK was 7th on that list and Australia was 27th - a role reversal on steroids!

You kind of see this in reality too - drive around an Australian town or city and you see it's clean, tidy, shit works - it looks nice. it's a great place to live - we all know it - and if someone can't see it then that's their issue and nothing to do with the country
I can't resist.. Lol! What a <snip> You cannot possibly compare the systems in your simplistic view! Crazy ! Look at the piddly population of Australia. It doesn't get the wear and tear does it I mean London is co very overcrowded how can it be as tidy ? What do you think? If any Australian city had 12 million people condensed it would be exactly the same as far as litter etc goes.
One cannot compare apples with pears.

Everything you have said is you're opinion good on you but don't expect others to see the world as you do.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 18th 2022 at 6:51 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
as my DH says there’s rough/dirty in all countries it’s just dressed up differently.
That is very true. I suppose posters like Amazulu will have their views and that's it. As long as others do the dirty work and they are not involved directly, it's all great. One reason why some people with multiple properties paint a rosy picture is that they don't want the value of their properties to drop. I can also spend time in Andratx and claim how clean and well functioning the country is.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

A gentle reminder of Site Rules 1 & 2 please peeps. Feel free to argue your opposing views, but do it without resorting to name calling or swear words, ta muchly.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs M
I can't resist.. Lol! What a <snip> You cannot possibly compare the systems in your simplistic view! Crazy ! Look at the piddly population of Australia. It doesn't get the wear and tear does it I mean London is co very overcrowded how can it be as tidy ? What do you think? If any Australian city had 12 million people condensed it would be exactly the same as far as litter etc goes.

Everything you have said is you're opinion good on you but don't expect others to see the world as you do.
Just saying, the population density of Zetland and Waterloo in Sydney is higher than that of London's. I was there yesterday as it has a pretty good playground for the kids and a brand spanking new top draw swimming pool. The area is pretty clean despite the mega density. You can keep a place with high population density cleanz just depends on the effort the local council go to in keeping it clean. FWIW I actually find London quite clean on the whole. It certainly is compared to a shit hole like Jakarta.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 5:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by brits1
Honestly I found your opinion to be so far off the mark that if you do not already wear glasses then you should, now that might sound rude and I was brought “well” but cannot help myself, Filthy….then you have must not have travelled to cities/countries that I have and although it’s not a nice thing to say but a lot of them were “filthy” when we lived in Australia some suburbs looked “down in their look” usually the older suburbs but that because of age at least in WA they use to have pavement’s on both sides of the street and delis etc you could walk to. My Aussie born and bred friend you to be aghast that I like to visit (especially the older “towns”) different areas In Perth that her were (her words) “Rough as guts” now that’s her perspective as she lives in a very affluent area south of the river (on the river) I worked “on the district” in Perth and I can say some places even surprised me and as my DH says there’s rough/dirty in all countries it’s just dressed up differently.
Of course there are dirtier cities! Mumbai will be far dirtier than Liverpool but for a city in a first world western country, it's filthy. That's all I'm saying. Personally, I like the place and would happily go back. The last mainland European city I spent any amount of time in was Salzburg. The place is achingly spotless - cleaner than any UK city

Go to the poorest suburb of Perth and compare it to the poorest part of say, Leeds. There is no comparison - the Perth suburb looks far nicer. I used to work in Balcatta, which is considered to be one of the lowest socioeconomic areas of the city, yet visually most of it isn't too bad. We used to go for lunch at at one of the best Vietnamese restaurants in WA, in nearby Maddington - another area considered to be one of Perth's worst. Again, it's, mostly, visually agreeable. I live 20 minutes from Midland. No way I would ever live there but there's some lovely parts to it. Agree that there are rough/dirty places in every city. I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying that Australia's poorest areas are not too bad by international standards. Anything else is in your head only I'm afraid
Old Sep 19th 2022, 5:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

What a <snip> comes to mind! About Quote..... If you need me to explain what disposable income is I'D be happy to. Lol! I didn't start it I offered my opinions that's what this forum is all about its not about <snip> trying to belittle other peoples opinions. Yours are no more valid than anyone else's so basically wind your neck in! As Harry enfield said I am probably considerably richer than you! Lol! I Have been running successful businesses for over 39 years I don't think I need a <snip> To explain anything to me about supply and demand.

Anyway as I said bored now. So in essence go forth and multiply as I'm not interested to hear the word of God Amazulu further on this subject.

How did I do folks? No don't answer it seriously Lol! Peace and understanding
Unprovoked name calling - I win!

seriously Lol! Grow up

So bored you came back for more. Ho hum
Old Sep 19th 2022, 5:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Again, grow up

Population density has sod all to do with it. Have you ever been to Tokyo? I've been multiple times. It's the biggest city in the World - 35 million people, probaby 45m in the metro area and 80m on the whole of the Kanto plain - people coming out of its wazoo basically. Yet the place is spotless, crazily functional and superbly efficient. Population density is not an issue

It's all just opinion champ, but I can back mine up with hard data from some insignificant outfits like, I dunno, the UN, OECD, IMF, WB, EU etc. All of which shows that Australia is economically and socially more successful than the UK. Feel free to post some facts to disprove me but basically your opinion is just sucked out of your thumb
Old Sep 19th 2022, 5:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Moses2013
That is very true. I suppose posters like Amazulu will have their views and that's it. As long as others do the dirty work and they are not involved directly, it's all great. One reason why some people with multiple properties paint a rosy picture is that they don't want the value of their properties to drop. I can also spend time in Andratx and claim how clean and well functioning the country is.
Whoa, easy there Turbo. I never said anything about what I own or have - property or otherwise. That's in your head only. I never post about property prices as they are what they are and we have no control over them - especially by painting a 'rosy picture' on an internet forum! Seriously?

All I'm saying is that Australia is economically and socially more successful than the UK - an opinion backed up by hard data. That's it. Oh, and that its cities are cleaner!

Hope this helps
Old Sep 19th 2022, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Whoa, easy there Turbo. I never said anything about what I own or have - property or otherwise. That's in your head only. I never post about property prices as they are what they are and we have no control over them - especially by painting a 'rosy picture' on an internet forum! Seriously?

All I'm saying is that Australia is economically and socially more successful than the UK - an opinion backed up by hard data. That's it. Oh, and that its cities are cleaner!

Hope this helps
Hard ...... Data! Lol! Yes we have all heard lots of hard Data before politicians are very adept at presenting it. Perhaps with such an amazing amount of knowledge you should become an M.P Im sure you have lots of respect from everyone here that's bothered to read your comments. We would all vote for Amazulu wouldn't we folks!

Show of hands please! Who would vote for Amazulu?
Old Sep 19th 2022, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Looking for advice

Hope this helps
He has hard data !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.