Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

whatsnext is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

[...weather weather weather...]

Winters can be overcast - but still bright. Mild - a jumper or light coat is needed. A proper coat is only needed for standing around at sporting events or if you are out and about standing in the morning. Sunny days to be had, nearer the city or coast. Blazing sunny days follow cold and clear nights where temps fall to several degrees above zero. But make no mistake, most days are overcast - it is not like Perth, Bris or Sydney.
Thanks heaps for the very detailed rundown on the Melbourne weather patterns - much appreciated. (not that the original idea of this thread was discussing Melbourne weather...hahahaha)

So looks like winter can be quite cold/wet and overcast during most days, for up to about 5 months. That's what I thought it would be. I could live with a short few cold winter months if the "skies were actually blue almost every day", and I can very well live with "some overcast days in long hot summer months" - but I cannot stand prolonged weather periods with a combination of "cold/wet/cloud cover/short days".

Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whatsnext
Thanks heaps for the very detailed rundown on the Melbourne weather patterns - much appreciated. (not that the original idea of this thread was discussing Melbourne weather...hahahaha)

So looks like winter can be quite cold/wet and overcast during most days, for up to about 5 months. That's what I thought it would be. I could live with a short few cold winter months if the "skies were actually blue almost every day", and I can very well live with "some overcast days in long hot summer months" - but I cannot stand prolonged weather periods with a combination of "cold/wet/cloud cover/short days".

It's true - you've got it - a Melbourne winter is basically 3 months plus up to 2 months of weather where you are waiting around to see what will happen next. It depends on how nice May is too! Stable - if a lot cooler. In some years, 'winter' arrives like a light switch - the temp falls one weekend and that's it - you are into the 'other part of the year'. You could see Melbourne as having 2 times, the cooler overcast bit and the warm summery bit, probably split. In the UK, if summer is washed out and a disappointment- you basically get nothing at all.
Bear in mind though - some of that time the weather is decidedly on the change and warming up and not absolutely cold!

I don't mind it too much - generally spring arrives when you're sick of winter and autumn is great.

Bear in mind that winter days are longer in Melbourne than in the UK and arguably you don't need the longer days in summer (at the other end) : we get up to 9pm which is fine - 10pm is just silly - I would rather have it in winter.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 1st 2014 at 10:59 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting stuff about the weather. Fish, you're first name isn't Michael is it?
Old Feb 9th 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone give me any info on Manly, Brisbane please? i.e. Is it a nice area to live, any decent high schools in the area, do any of you commute from Manly to Brisbane.

Any info at all would be great.

Thanks.