Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
Molly,

My husband either works in the City or Toowong based on what the client needs that day. We have 3 daughters (16 and 7 year old twins). We have been here for 2 1/2 years now. The girls absolutely love it here. They enjoy their sport and being outside. My eldest also has a part time job and has allowed her to meet kids other than the ones she goes to school with. They never want to return to the UK.

That's great news, I'm glad they settled in OK, especially your teen, it's more of a worry I think with a teen, it can go either way can't it.

I like the job idea, I might see if my son can get a job, he has one now, he prepares starters in the local pub, he went in as washer-upper but got promoted. Are there those kind of jobs going for teens over there?

Cheers, Molly
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:05 am
Just Joined

whatsnext is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Don't do it. We lived in Caboolture, half way between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, for a number of years. Wife travelled into a the city every day by car. This racks up 500km each week. Train was no option as there was no station near her work. Traffic was really bad in the early years until they added a third lane to each side of the Bruce highway...lol. But then too many people moved to the area and it was chucker blocks again. It is no fun commuting 50km each way in peak traffic, and it is almost double the distance from the SS coast.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whatsnext
Don't do it. We lived in Caboolture, half way between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, for a number of years. Wife travelled into a the city every day by car. This racks up 500km each week. Train was no option as there was no station near her work. Traffic was really bad in the early years until they added a third lane to each side of the Bruce highway...lol. But then too many people moved to the area and it was chucker blocks again. It is no fun commuting 50km each way in peak traffic, and it is almost double the distance from the SS coast.

I had a fairly long discussion with the husband last night about what area, it's driving me bonkers to be honest, trying to sort things out when you're not there.

I'm more than happy to go and live right bang in the city centre, West End, somewhere like that, he doesn't want to, even though it will be easier for him.

He thinks we should be near the coast, better for the boys he thinks and I agree to a certain extent.

I don't think he actually realises how long the commute is, although he should do, he has drove it, having said that it wasn't peak time.

So it looks like we will be going on the coast somewhere, god knows! You know what, I don't know where we will end up! probably in Hong Kong at this rate!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

I'm more than happy to go and live right bang in the city centre, West End, somewhere like that, he doesn't want to, even though it will be easier for him.

He thinks we should be near the coast, better for the boys he thinks and I agree to a certain extent.

I don't think he actually realises how long the commute is, although he should do, he has drove it, having said that it wasn't peak time.

So it looks like we will be going on the coast somewhere, god knows! You know what, I don't know where we will end up! probably in Hong Kong at this rate!
OK, the alternative is Redcliffe for you.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, the alternative is Redcliffe for you.

Thanks for that! I'll have a look into it?

Are you still in Queensland?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that! I'll have a look into it?

Are you still in Queensland?
Nope, we left two years ago.

You were saying that your husband is 'hoping' to find a job in Brisbane.
Is landing a job there a definite, or is there a chance he might as well find one on the coast?

Regarding Redcliffe, it would cut down commuting in half at least and is the best seaside playground to Brisbane with actual beaches. I believe they are finally building a train link to the Caboolture to Brisbane train (something the locals have fought for for decades) - I could be wrong, though...we revisited a couple of months ago on a trip from Europe and I think I read this in a local paper somewhere.

Just do your research well...the area can still be rough.
That is in fact the main complaint we have about QLD as a whole...we have lived in many neighbourhoods and none of them were quiet.

There is a website where people give reviews on the neighbourhoods, it used to be called Streetview but they rebranded it recently to Homely.

Also just read through an interesting thread here.

Last edited by whatsnext; Jan 28th 2014 at 12:05 am.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding Redcliffe, it would cut down commuting in half at least and is the best seaside playground to Brisbane with actual beaches. I believe they are finally building a train link to the Caboolture to Brisbane train (something the locals have fought for for decades) - I could be wrong, though...we revisited a couple of months ago on a trip from Europe and I think I read this in a local paper somewhere.

[/URL].
The rail link has started.

We used to live in Woody point, which is before redcliffe, closer to the big ( and now multiple lanes ) bridge over to brisbane.

Houses there are cheap, waterfront for as little as $600,000 you could get a cottage in a backstreet for $300,000. But its changing, one house in Woody point just sold for 5 million.

So much transport and rail and within 20 minutes from QLd's biggest shopping centres and the airport. Costco, Ikea etc going in the north suburbs, again under 20 mins drive.

Always amazed this area has not taken off yet, yes it has some rough necks but OMG that is australia for you, you get it anywhere, take a look at the biggest loser show in victoria Makes redcliffe look posh

Quite seriously if a suburb with beach that close to so many facilities/transport was in say Victoria/NSW you would pay 3X as much for a house.

If people dont want the coast drive its a serious option.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a website where people give reviews on the neighbourhoods, it used to be called Streetview but they rebranded it recently to Homely.
Thought this review from your link seemed well thought out:

"From Inner city Brisbane to Redcliffe and I'm a happy lady!"
I have previously lived in inner-city Brisbane (New Farm, Kelvin Grove) and so my concerns about moving to Redcliffe included the following; (a) that the commute would be long and tedious, (b) that the people would be unfriendly and rough, (c) that the community would be homophobic (I'm a lesbian), and (c) that the amenities would be poor. After living on the Peninsula for 4 years, I feel as though I can now provide a fair review and while one of my fears were justified, the others I pleasantly found to be far from the case.

Pros
Beatiful beaches and tree lined streets; lovely walking tracks along the water; cool and lower humidity in the summer than inner-city Brisbane; cleaner air; MUCH cheaper groceries and petrol than Brisbane; lovely Sunday markets; a super relaxed vibe; friendly people (for the most part); buses that take you either directly to the city or to Sandgate train station; no parking troubles; easy driving; a low mortgage!!!!!; very pet friendly; fantastic vets and medical facilities; accepting of same-sex relationships (I certainly have not experienced any direct homophobia); some nice cafes.

Cons
It is a long and at times frustrating commute (especially if Deagon deviation is blocked); 20-25 mins drive to Sandgate train station (Redcliffe train line really is needed); the bus to the train takes a good 35 mins; it is difficult to get around if you find yourself without a car at any stage; annoying, tail-gaters often drive on the bridge; occasional general 'bogan' behaviour (we've had some dodgy neighbours a few times); certain streets aren't great - if you can find a place east of Oxley, you're in the better side of town; no good deli options (although Feel Goodz has just opened in Woody Point and is quite good).

A note on the cons, it goes without saying that there are annoying people and less than great streets in every neighbourhood - but having lived in a horrible street when I first moved to the Penninsula, I do think it is important to really examine the street you are looking to move into. While a place and the street view might look great on the internet/google maps, you won't get a good idea of the street without doing a physical look around. You can really feel the difference between good and icky parts of Redcliffe in a way that is much more prominent than inner-city Brisbane.

Overall, I'm very happy that I moved to Redcliffe. I love the small mortgage and the lovely walks and sea breezes. I absolutely love crossing that bridge everyday knowing that I am leaving inner-city life and inner-city noise and drama behind me. There is something very calming about coming home to a beautiful bay life."

Price comparisons on that thread seem to be based on exchange rate to me so not accurate.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nope, we left two years ago.

Is landing a job there a definite, or is there a chance he might as well find one on the coast?

Just do your research well...the area can still be rough.
That is in fact the main complaint we have about QLD as a whole...we have lived in many neighbourhoods and none of them were quiet.

Cheers for that!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
Thought this review from your link seemed well thought out:

"From Inner city Brisbane to Redcliffe and I'm a happy lady!"
I have previously lived in inner-city Brisbane (New Farm, Kelvin Grove) and so my concerns about moving to Redcliffe included the following; (a) that the commute would be long and tedious, (b) that the people would be unfriendly and rough, (c) that the community would be homophobic (I'm a lesbian), and (c) that the amenities would be poor. After living on the Peninsula for 4 years, I feel as though I can now provide a fair review and while one of my fears were justified, the others I pleasantly found to be far from the case.

Pros
Beatiful beaches and tree lined streets; lovely walking tracks along the water; cool and lower humidity in the summer than inner-city Brisbane; cleaner air; MUCH cheaper groceries and petrol than Brisbane; lovely Sunday markets; a super relaxed vibe; friendly people (for the most part); buses that take you either directly to the city or to Sandgate train station; no parking troubles; easy driving; a low mortgage!!!!!; very pet friendly; fantastic vets and medical facilities; accepting of same-sex relationships (I certainly have not experienced any direct homophobia); some nice cafes.

Cons
It is a long and at times frustrating commute (especially if Deagon deviation is blocked); 20-25 mins drive to Sandgate train station (Redcliffe train line really is needed); the bus to the train takes a good 35 mins; it is difficult to get around if you find yourself without a car at any stage; annoying, tail-gaters often drive on the bridge; occasional general 'bogan' behaviour (we've had some dodgy neighbours a few times); certain streets aren't great - if you can find a place east of Oxley, you're in the better side of town; no good deli options (although Feel Goodz has just opened in Woody Point and is quite good).

A note on the cons, it goes without saying that there are annoying people and less than great streets in every neighbourhood - but having lived in a horrible street when I first moved to the Penninsula, I do think it is important to really examine the street you are looking to move into. While a place and the street view might look great on the internet/google maps, you won't get a good idea of the street without doing a physical look around. You can really feel the difference between good and icky parts of Redcliffe in a way that is much more prominent than inner-city Brisbane.

Overall, I'm very happy that I moved to Redcliffe. I love the small mortgage and the lovely walks and sea breezes. I absolutely love crossing that bridge everyday knowing that I am leaving inner-city life and inner-city noise and drama behind me. There is something very calming about coming home to a beautiful bay life."

Price comparisons on that thread seem to be based on exchange rate to me so not accurate.

Interesting - I had only every read unfavourable things about Redcliffe until now.

I suppose everyone has their own idea of what qualifies to be a good area.

It's so hard trying to decide where to live when you're not able to test it sort of speak.

I just want to try and get it right first time if I can moving house us such a ball ache.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The rail link has started.

We used to live in Woody point, which is before redcliffe, closer to the big ( and now multiple lanes ) bridge over to brisbane.

Houses there are cheap, waterfront for as little as $600,000 you could get a cottage in a backstreet for $300,000. But its changing, one house in Woody point just sold for 5 million.

So much transport and rail and within 20 minutes from QLd's biggest shopping centres and the airport. Costco, Ikea etc going in the north suburbs, again under 20 mins drive.

Always amazed this area has not taken off yet, yes it has some rough necks but OMG that is australia for you, you get it anywhere, take a look at the biggest loser show in victoria Makes redcliffe look posh

Quite seriously if a suburb with beach that close to so many facilities/transport was in say Victoria/NSW you would pay 3X as much for a house.

If people dont want the coast drive its a serious option.
Are you still in Australia?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Are you still in Australia?
Back here at the moment. My 3 sons have all now finished school, one wants to do UNI in OZ as that is where he will get residents fees, although even those are $8,600 tuition PLUS all extras.

So back sorting him out for UNI and moving all our stuff to Melbourne where one son is at Tullamarine and one will be at UNI, and one has moved overseas.

Once all sorted I will live about 6 months here, ( the cooler ones!! ) and one between, UK, US and Canada. Summer is no longer important to me, the extreme UV made me quite ill in the end.

I posted about woody point as we used to live there, was down this Saturday, having lunch with old friends at the tavern. Its very obvious the area is changing, many houses are being redeveloped. The bridge is finished, the rail is coming and Costco etc are chucking money at the surrounding areas.

I noticed too houses anywhere near the airport are going in days, the bomb of a house my son used to rent sold 3 days after being listed, with multiple contracts, but stuff looks SO cheap, bear in mind we just bought in Melbourne so was comparing it to the ball breaking prices and stamp duty!! of Victoria.

Keep in mind if its surf your teens are looking for, the peninsular is flat beaches, surf is the coasts.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 28th 2014 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is landing a job there a definite, or is there a chance he might as well find one on the coast.

Sorry, I forgot to answer this bit yesterday.

The nature of his job normally takes him into cities, he works in concrete construction, so that can be anything from mines to tunnels etc...So there's probably a 95% chance he will be working in a city somewhere - unless of course he gets a job out in the mines, which will be the last resort.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Back here at the moment. My 3 sons have all now finished school, one wants to do UNI in OZ as that is where he will get residents fees, although even those are $8,600 tuition PLUS all extras.

So back sorting him out for UNI and moving all our stuff to Melbourne where one son is at Tullamarine and one will be at UNI, and one has moved overseas.

Once all sorted I will live about 6 months here, ( the cooler ones!! ) and one between, UK, US and Canada. Summer is no longer important to me, the extreme UV made me quite ill in the end.

I posted about woody point as we used to live there, was down this Saturday, having lunch with old friends at the tavern. Its very obvious the area is changing, many houses are being redeveloped. The bridge is finished, the rail is coming and Costco etc are chucking money at the surrounding areas.

I noticed too houses anywhere near the airport are going in days, the bomb of a house my son used to rent sold 3 days after being listed, with multiple contracts, but stuff looks SO cheap, bear in mind we just bought in Melbourne so was comparing it to the ball breaking prices and stamp duty!! of Victoria.

Keep in mind if its surf your teens are looking for, the peninsular is flat beaches, surf is the coasts.

It looks like you're going to be busy! Hope it goes well for you all.

Do you prefer Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It looks like you're going to be busy! Hope it goes well for you all.

Do you prefer Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast?

We have stunningly beautiful large acerage on Sunshine Coast, and a tiny 480m block in melbourne, highest elevation, so with city views and only 30 mins to the CBD. So its hard to compare.

The main thing I loved about QLD was the rainforest seclusion, yet a mile from facilites, and the winters. The summers I hate, too hot.

Melbourne I prefer the climate, the changing weather is my thing, variety I love the winter, damp, bit grey at times and you get some fall leaves, again the summer can suck, the spells of 40C and the flies will see me hiding in the AC.

Melbourne has more in a short space, 3 hours to snow, hour to decent surf beach, the city has a fair bit go on. Brisbane has lots on too, but its often too hot for me personally to enjoy it, thats me many enjoy heat, thats what they are coming for.

Melbourne is crowded and expensive, Qld feels more spacious, ( traffic is bad tho ) Qld property is a fraction of the price for comparable, so for those arriving a huge factor. For us we just bit the bullet and paid melbourne prices, that hurt but thats where the kids are.

Dont think there is nothing for young people either on the coast or brisbane, all 3 of my sons found more than enough, events, sport, and partying to fill their time in QLD.

My youngest got accepted into QLD and VIC universities, he choose VIC as his brother had moved on to melb already, and if he studied in QLD on qualifying he would be up for rural service, rural in QLD is up to 20 hours from brisbane.

I wanted to spend my months of the year here in a cooler clime, and all of us love cooler weather, we hated the shorts and singlet look uggh. Give me boots, coat and a hat anyday

Both places have good and bad, most people would love one or the other, but for us at different times in our life, QLD or MELB, were better for one reason or another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.