Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Is this a viable option?

Do any of you do it? If so could you please tell me where on the SC you live (or thereabouts) and how long it takes you to commute into Brisbane?
Is it a hassle?

My husband hopefully will get a job in Brisbane it's self, but my two teenage sons have said they would prefer to live on the Sunny Coast if we had a choice.

So just wondered if any of you do the journey I believe it's a long one.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

The couple of families I know that do it have an apartment in the city and the family stays up the coast and the father lives in Brisbane during the week and home for weekends (or sometimes the family come to Brissy for the weekend).
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
The couple of families I know that do it have an apartment in the city and the family stays up the coast and the father lives in Brisbane during the week and home for weekends (or sometimes the family come to Brissy for the weekend).
Hi Kim, thanks for replying.

Well that says it all really.

We do that as a family now, my husband works and lives in London during the week and me and the lads live up north in the country. And at the weekends we either go down to London or the husband comes home. If he has to do that in Australia, he might as well be in the mines. Hmm...it's not what we wanted really. But it's an option I suppose.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

scottydog357 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Is this a viable option?

Do any of you do it? If so could you please tell me where on the SC you live (or thereabouts) and how long it takes you to commute into Brisbane?
Is it a hassle?

My husband hopefully will get a job in Brisbane it's self, but my two teenage sons have said they would prefer to live on the Sunny Coast if we had a choice.

It's doable, but kiss goodbye to any life outside of work. Depending on where on Sunny coast would determine time for travel, but you are looking min 2 hrs each way, in peak traffic. That's on a good day. I lived in North Lakes some 23km from the city and I have seen it take 2 hrs from there. The Gateway motorway is a shocker on most days. Being generous count 2.5 hrs average each way. Leave home at 630am for a 9am start, then home at 8pm. It ain't no life and would be similar to living in Birmingham and working in London each day.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scottydog357
It's doable, but kiss goodbye to any life outside of work. Depending on where on Sunny coast would determine time for travel, but you are looking min 2 hrs each way, in peak traffic. That's on a good day. I lived in North Lakes some 23km from the city and I have seen it take 2 hrs from there. The Gateway motorway is a shocker on most days. Being generous count 2.5 hrs average each way. Leave home at 630am for a 9am start, then home at 8pm. It ain't no life and would be similar to living in Birmingham and working in London each day.
Hi Scotty

Thanks for replying, much appreciated.

You're right that isn't any life! Sod that!

I have spoke to the husband he's just said he wouldn't mind, he'd do it if he had to. He said he'd get a motorbike as it might make the journey quicker. I think he must be drunk!

Well......It looks like we are going to be living in Brisbane.

A far cry from where we live now I have to say. We live in a village with just over 150 people and no shop for six miles!

Happy days!
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

If he's working in a situation where he's handy to rail, there's a not too bad rail and rail/bus service between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast Hinterland (Nambour) with a fair few attractive villages along the way. The service is set to improve with full Citytrain service extended up as far as Landsborough over the next few years.
Example attached: Beerburrum.

You'd be in Brisbane in about an hour and twenty minutes and still able to live in a village, with full supermarket and other facilities at Beerwah and about 20 to 25 mins drive into big shopping centres at Caboolture, and less than half an hour to beaches.

If we had stayed in Queensland we were looking at moving there. Not ideal if working full time, but doable.
Attached Thumbnails Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...-beerburrum.jpg  
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

scottydog357 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
If he's working in a situation where he's handy to rail, there's a not too bad rail and rail/bus service between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast Hinterland (Nambour) with a fair few attractive villages along the way. The service is set to improve with full Citytrain service extended up as far as Landsborough over the next few years.
Example attached: Beerburrum.

You'd be in Brisbane in about an hour and twenty minutes and still able to live in a village, with full supermarket and other facilities at Beerwah and about 20 to 25 mins drive into big shopping centres at Caboolture, and less than half an hour to beaches.

If we had stayed in Queensland we were looking at moving there. Not ideal if working full time, but doable.
Apologies for jumping in but it sounds good on paper, in practice it is not so easy. Beerburrum is only half way to Sunny coast from Brissy and inland, so not really any comparison to life on the coast. The rail service is a joke. Take it from someone who travelled it for almost 2 years, the Caboolture line has more delays and cancellation than you can imagine, and Queensland Rail do very little to improve this service. Extend the track, yeah that will work. As for travelling by motorbike, great in winter, but would hate to imagine being on a bike when one of the great summer storms roll in late in the afternoon. Hail the size of cricket balls could make for an interesting ride.
Good luck anyhow, beautiful area, terrible infrastructure.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

I lived on Bribie Island and commuted to Brisbane for 9 years till 2012, I found the rail service to be pretty good, which is why we were seriously thinking of moving up the tracks a way. The advantage of Beerwah / Beerburrum / Landsborough is that you are handy to the Southern end of the Coast and also handy to Brisbane.

I worked in a job in Fortitude Valley where I HAD to log in on time otherwise I would accrue penalty points, and was only late on about ten occasions in nine years.

However peoples perceptions of what constututes a "crap" train service do indeed vary. Actually Bribie Island would be worth a look by the OP, most of the workers there commute to Brisbane anyway and I'd rather Bribie than the Sunny Coast myself.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Is this a viable option?

Is it a hassle?

What about you.Where would you prefer to live.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all

i live in Glass house mountains (ie, around Beerwah, Beerburrum etc). 1 hour and 3 minutes from beerburrum station to central station in city by train. Those trains are packed though but many people do it. Beerwah, Beerburrum , glass house etc is a nice place to live in and of itself and a good place to bring up the kids as well.

About 30 minutes to Caloundra drive, 40 minutes to Mooloolaba.

I like it and do the commute - spend the time reading a book or getting some work done. If you use the time productively its not so bad. And i like that my kids get to go to the schools around here, and can have a pony, chickens etc.

ive also done the gold coast to brisbane commute as well - thats a little quicker, but i prefer living up here.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi all,

thanks for your input.

I suppose I have a lot to think about. Do we travel, don't we ...

I will research the areas you guys have mentioned. I think I could of drove through a few of those areas last year, I remember seeing the Glass House Mountains from the beach at Caloundra, they are stunning.

Scotty good tip about the bike, I'll tell him not to bother with that one.

I personally don't mind where we end up, as long as the crime rate is low and there's a good high school within a reasonable distance then I'll be happy.

I do like the Sunshine Coast and I have family in Caloundra, so it would be nice to be near them. The idea of living in a city appeals too, as much as I love village life I'm ready for an adventure, so for me, anything goes at the moment.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thousands of people do this commute daily.

Yes like any commuter route the traffic can be bad.

Son used to commute from SC to brisbane airport, as he did shfts it was usually fine - offpeak.

Partner commutes, as does our neighbour, both trades, so usually in a ute, but partner keeps a motorbike down there, which speeds stuff up when the traffic is really bad.

If commuting buy economical vehicle, the fuel costs really add up if you have to use a Ute or worse.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:58 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Mooloolaba to Brisbane CBD - about 70 minutes with no traffic, at least double that at peak times.

A lot of people car share - the car park at Aussie World is always full of cars, not because Aussie World is that popular but because the car poolers meet up there to swap into one car for the trip south!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Queensland Rail have just announced extra services on that rail line coming soon.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Again, thanks for the advice all, much appreciated.

Please keep it coming. You can never have too much information.

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Queensland Rail have just announced extra
services on that rail line coming soon.

Have I missed something? What rail line are we talking about please Mike?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.