Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Old Jan 30th 2014, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We have stunningly beautiful large acerage on Sunshine Coast, and a tiny 480m block in melbourne, highest elevation, so with city views and only 30 mins to the CBD. So its hard to compare.

The main thing I loved about QLD was the rainforest seclusion, yet a mile from facilites, and the winters. The summers I hate, too hot.

Melbourne I prefer the climate, the changing weather is my thing, variety I love the winter, damp, bit grey at times and you get some fall leaves, again the summer can suck, the spells of 40C and the flies will see me hiding in the AC.

Melbourne has more in a short space, 3 hours to snow, hour to decent surf beach, the city has a fair bit go on. Brisbane has lots on too, but its often too hot for me personally to enjoy it, thats me many enjoy heat, thats what they are coming for.

Melbourne is crowded and expensive, Qld feels more spacious, ( traffic is bad tho ) Qld property is a fraction of the price for comparable, so for those arriving a huge factor. For us we just bit the bullet and paid melbourne prices, that hurt but thats where the kids are.

Dont think there is nothing for young people either on the coast or brisbane, all 3 of my sons found more than enough, events, sport, and partying to fill their time in QLD.

My youngest got accepted into QLD and VIC universities, he choose VIC as his brother had moved on to melb already, and if he studied in QLD on qualifying he would be up for rural service, rural in QLD is up to 20 hours from brisbane.

I wanted to spend my months of the year here in a cooler clime, and all of us love cooler weather, we hated the shorts and singlet look uggh. Give me boots, coat and a hat anyday

Both places have good and bad, most people would love one or the other, but for us at different times in our life, QLD or MELB, were better for one reason or another.
Welcome to Melbourne Jad! Those flies here as I have said aren't too bad - I haven't seen a big fly problem in quite a few summers - some years you can count the days they are annoying - and even the 40 degree days are only a few times a year.

I'm very excited for you and hope you find a little niche here - if I know you, you would have sussed it already.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

We have stunningly beautiful large acerage on Sunshine Coast, and a tiny 480m block in melbourne, highest elevation, so with city views and only 30 mins to the CBD. So its hard to compare.

The main thing I loved about QLD was the rainforest seclusion, yet a mile from facilites, and the winters. The summers I hate, too hot.

Melbourne I prefer the climate, the changing weather is my thing, variety I love the winter, damp, bit grey at times and you get some fall leaves, again the summer can suck, the spells of 40C and the flies will see me hiding in the AC.

Melbourne has more in a short space, 3 hours to snow, hour to decent surf beach, the city has a fair bit go on. Brisbane has lots on too, but its often too hot for me personally to enjoy it, thats me many enjoy heat, thats what they are coming for.

Melbourne is crowded and expensive, Qld feels more spacious, ( traffic is bad tho ) Qld property is a fraction of the price for comparable, so for those arriving a huge factor. For us we just bit the bullet and paid melbourne prices, that hurt but thats where the kids are.

Dont think there is nothing for young people either on the coast or brisbane, all 3 of my sons found more than enough, events, sport, and partying to fill their time in QLD.

My youngest got accepted into QLD and VIC universities, he choose VIC as his brother had moved on to melb already, and if he studied in QLD on qualifying he would be up for rural service, rural in QLD is up to 20 hours from brisbane.

I wanted to spend my months of the year here in a cooler clime, and all of us love cooler weather, we hated the shorts and singlet look uggh. Give me boots, coat and a hat anyday

Both places have good and bad, most people would love one or the other, but for us at different times in our life, QLD or MELB, were better for one reason or another.
Well it seems like you have it all sussed.

Congratulations by the way on your son securing the uni he wanted, that must be a big weight off your shoulders, I know it would be for me.

I am actually warming towards Melbourne, the only reason that's ever put me off was the supposedly crap weather but after doing some research on it, it actually has less rainy days than Brisbane. Which surprised me.

Can I ask why you chose Queensland the first time round, was there any particular reason for that choice? It seems to be a very popular choice with Brits, I wonder why.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Welcome to Melbourne Jad!
Thank you Sir!

I will be living overseas for a big chunk of each year, the base in Melb is so I can be with the kids We all drifted that way after son got transferred to Tullamarine.

But I am excited too, its a lovely treed area. We are building a 3 level house, with teen/adult kids privacy and being able to escape from each other is a must.

My level will be done like a NY / London warehouse Loft, I have so much old stuff to fill it, so yes it is exciting.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Well it seems like you have it all sussed.

Congratulations by the way on your son securing the uni he wanted, that must be a big weight off your shoulders, I know it would be for me.

I am actually warming towards Melbourne, the only reason that's ever put me off was the supposedly crap weather but after doing some research on it, it actually has less rainy days than Brisbane. Which surprised me.

Can I ask why you chose Queensland the first time round, was there any particular reason for that choice? It seems to be a very popular choice with Brits, I wonder why.
QLD was for my parters career/business reasons. Financial reasons. Its paradise for those who love the beach, and hot weather, only problem is I am happier in freezing cold

Wth 3 kids, one always in high school it ended up as stay put so they could finish their education. the systems are different, ie sons second language is Spanish, one did IB, even the grades were different for their age. Kids education came before my wishes, and it was bloody hard at times! Plenty of women on here stuck till education finishes.

The weather in bris and melb are very different, both have days of the year that are fab and days that are hell. If you take out melbs very hot summer days, then it is generally cooler than qld. QLD's big bonus is the house prices as I said.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

whatsnext is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Sir!

I will be living overseas for a big chunk of each year, the base in Melb is so I can be with the kids We all drifted that way after son got transferred to Tullamarine.

But I am excited too, its a lovely treed area. We are building a 3 level house, with teen/adult kids privacy and being able to escape from each other is a must.

My level will be done like a NY / London warehouse Loft, I have so much old stuff to fill it, so yes it is exciting.
Interesting convo going here
So you were saying before ^ that you intend to be spending 6 months of the year in Melb. (the colder ones...which means Apr - Oct, and the remainder between US, CA and UK ... which means Oct - Apr ==> eternal winter ????)

What suburb in Melbourne are you building your home?

Are you an official resident of all these countries, or simply like to be travelling a lot? I know I'm curious..but your posts made me..lol

Last edited by whatsnext; Jan 30th 2014 at 10:42 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by whatsnext
So you were saying before ^ that you intend to be spending 6 months of the year in Melb. (the colder ones...which means Apr - Oct, and the remainder between US, CA and UK ... which means Oct - Apr ==> eternal winter ????)

Are you an official resident of all these countries, or simply like to be travelling a lot? I know I'm curious..but your posts made me..lol
I am now resident of Australa, UK and shortly Canada( visa in progress ) US is somewhere I love, and can happily spend 3 months in each year with income sourced elsewhere.

Yep fall to spring overseas, avoiding Aussie summers, is probably the most important desire I have for my future!! UV is simply too strong, I spend most of the time inside.

Keep in mind aussie winter would be summer elsewhere anyway. Even in melbourne aside from the odd day the day temps to me are warm.

If I fancy a blast of UV 13 I can always adjust my travel schedule.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like fun Jad, I love the US too, I have a feeling we might give it ago one day if we are still eligible.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What suburb in Melbourne are you building your home?

Suburb is very treed and has elevated areas about 30 mins from city and airport. Wont give the name as I already gave the block size and I might then just give the address. Wait for the housewarming
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

I am now resident of Australa, UK and shortly Canada( visa in progress ) US is somewhere I love, and can happily spend 3 months in each year with income sourced elsewhere.

Yep fall to spring overseas, avoiding Aussie summers, is probably the most important desire I have for my future!! UV is simply too strong, I spend most of the time inside.

Keep in mind aussie winter would be summer elsewhere anyway. Even in melbourne aside from the odd day the day temps to me are warm.

If I fancy a blast of UV 13 I can always adjust my travel schedule.
Haha...love it! When you are saying resident of these countries, do you hold dual or triple citizenship, too? Must be complicated tax wise.. as per my separate thread here in this forum, we are dual EU/AU citizens and were selected in the recent DV lottery...but I am having second thoughts because of the ridiculous FACTA law and the USA CBT system.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Haha...love it! When you are saying resident of these countries, do you hold dual or triple citizenship, too? Must be complicated tax wise.. as per my separate thread here in this forum, we are dual EU/AU citizens and were selected in the recent DV lottery...but I am having second thoughts because of the ridiculous FACTA law and the USA CBT system.

Long version short, while the kids are still here, my situation is not that complicated. Assets income are majority in australia. I am not working anywhere overseas I just travel a lot.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
...the only reason that's ever put me off was the supposedly crap weather but after doing some research on it, it actually has less rainy days than Brisbane. Which surprised me.
That surprises me as well ...something I prepared a while ago from BOM stats, might as well post here in case it helps you:

Annual Dry Days Per Year:

288 Brisbane - Annual Rainfall 1149
270 Adelaide - Annual Rainfall 622.1
265 Perth - Annual Rainfall 867.6
260 Sydney - Annual Rainfall 1084.4
255 Melbourne - Annual Rainfall 648.5

Summer Dry Days Per Month (Min/Max Temps Celsius)

30 Perth (17.9-29.7) <---- Very dry summer
28 Adelaide (16.7-28.6) <---- Very dry summer
26 Melbourne (14.3-25.9) <---- Medium dry summer
23 Brisbane (20.7-29.4) <---- Humid with afternoon storms
23 Sydney (18.7-25.9) <---- Humid with afternoon storms

Winter Dry Days Per Month (Min/Max Temps Celsius)

27 Brisbane (9.5-20.4) <---- Very dry, very warm winter
25 Sydney (8.0-16.3) <---- Very dry, warmish winter
21 Melbourne (6.0-13.4) <---- Wet, very cold winter
19 Adelaide (7.7-14.8) <---- Wet, cold winter
16 Perth (9.0-17.4) <---- Very wet, warmish winter

Note: Based on 100 yr stats for mean number of days with rain >= 1mm. From http://www.bom.gov.au/ at city centre reading stations (where available)
Note: Comments on right of temps mine so just very rough descriptions based on the numbers.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:54 am
Just Joined

I have always loved reading climate statistics, too and bom.gov.au was one of my favourite sites, even while living in AU.

However, what the numbers don't tell you is the strength of rain (as in: the amount of water) and duration that is typical in say Brisbane downpours vs. Melbourne rains.

So for example, Melbourne has a typical European 'drizzle' where it could rain all day and still not reach the same level of actual *amount* of water coming down compared to say a 1 or 2 hour downpour in Brisbane, where it can typically be sunny before and after. So that changes the perception of a 'rainy day' vs. a 'sunny day' between the two cities dramatically, which is not quite reflected in the 'annual dry days per year' table.

Re: "Humid with afternoon storms" ... I don't think that you can put Sydney and Brisbane in the same boat here! It usually is not 'humid' during summer in Sydney...if this is humid...then Brisbane must be 250% humidity level

I have however, never lived in Melbourne ... only visited and that was in February and I loved it! Mind you, it was a comfortable dry heat (in the upper 30's C) and that was a welcome change from muggy Brissie. I think I could live in Melbourne, except winter would be a nightmare for me.

The ideal city between the three for me would be a mix of Sydney's location (love the harbour and mix of city and ocean beaches) and weather, Melbourne's inner city with the European flair, and Brisbane's winter weather, subtropical plants and it's modern inner city developments coupled with the fact, that in Brisbane people actually enjoy entertaining in the city, whereas in Sydney (not sure about Melbourne) people tend to just get into and out of the CBD in great commuting stress and rather abandon it any other times.

If any Melburnian could tell me what their perception of 'sunny days' throughout the year is, I would appreciate it.
I have always thought that except for a few hot and usually very sunny summer months, it would be mostly a mix of all types of weather each day for the rest of the year (the typical '4 seasons in 1 day'). Is it still quite sunny as in mostly blue skies during most parts of the year? Is winter miserable and mostly cloudy, in addition to being cold and wet? Or are there PLENTY of sunny days or at least solid segments of blue skies during most days in winter?

Originally Posted by fish.01
That surprises me as well ...something I prepared a while ago from BOM stats, might as well post here in case it helps you:

Annual Dry Days Per Year:

288 Brisbane - Annual Rainfall 1149
270 Adelaide - Annual Rainfall 622.1
265 Perth - Annual Rainfall 867.6
260 Sydney - Annual Rainfall 1084.4
255 Melbourne - Annual Rainfall 648.5

Summer Dry Days Per Month (Min/Max Temps Celsius)

30 Perth (17.9-29.7) <---- Very dry summer
28 Adelaide (16.7-28.6) <---- Very dry summer
26 Melbourne (14.3-25.9) <---- Medium dry summer
23 Brisbane (20.7-29.4) <---- Humid with afternoon storms
23 Sydney (18.7-25.9) <---- Humid with afternoon storms

Winter Dry Days Per Month (Min/Max Temps Celsius)

27 Brisbane (9.5-20.4) <---- Very dry, very warm winter
25 Sydney (8.0-16.3) <---- Very dry, warmish winter
21 Melbourne (6.0-13.4) <---- Wet, very cold winter
19 Adelaide (7.7-14.8) <---- Wet, cold winter
16 Perth (9.0-17.4) <---- Very wet, warmish winter

Note: Based on 100 yr stats for mean number of days with rain >= 1mm. From http://www.bom.gov.au/ at city centre reading stations (where available)
Note: Comments on right of temps mine so just very rough descriptions based on the numbers.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, how does it work with residency requirements for UK and Australia? I know Canada you'd need to spend more than 3 months each year there to maintain your PR status, so presumably you'll do 6 months there and then split the rest of your time between the other countries - are you citizens of them, or do they have similar requirements in terms of time spent there?
Old Jan 31st 2014, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

However, what the numbers don't tell you is the strength of rain (as in: the amount of water) and duration that is typical in say Brisbane downpours vs. Melbourne rains.

So for example, Melbourne has a typical European 'drizzle' where it could rain all day and still not reach the same level of actual *amount* of water coming down compared to say a 1 or 2 hour downpour in Brisbane, where it can typically be sunny before and after. So that changes the perception of a 'rainy day' vs. a 'sunny day' between the two cities dramatically, which is not quite reflected in the 'annual dry days per year' table.
Yes I agree with this. A wet day in Brisbane can often be mostly dry with one massive downpour breaking the day.

Re: "Humid with afternoon storms" ... I don't think that you can put Sydney and Brisbane in the same boat here! It usually is not 'humid' during summer in Sydney...if this is humid...then Brisbane must be 250% humidity level

I was interested to read recently that Sydney has higher average humidity than Brisbane....the difference must be the higher average temps in Brisbane make it feel more humid.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

QLD was for my parters career/business reasons. Financial reasons. Its paradise for those who love the beach, and hot weather, only problem is I am happier in freezing cold

Wth 3 kids, one always in high school it ended up as stay put so they could finish their education. the systems are different, ie sons second language is Spanish, one did IB, even the grades were different for their age. Kids education came before my wishes, and it was bloody hard at times! Plenty of women on here stuck till education finishes.

The weather in bris and melb are very different, both have days of the year that are fab and days that are hell. If you take out melbs very hot summer days, then it is generally cooler than qld. QLD's big bonus is the house prices as I said.
The women stuck - what about the men? Is this a feminist issue?
So after all those years of battling - it is final payback time.
Perhaps building wealth in Australia was the paycheck for you after all.
And that wealth travels overseas - as many have found - as we have, in fact.

As Jad says, Melbourne winter is typically at least 7 degrees warmer than the UK - and the UK winter is mild compared to the continent. Near the coast you get plenty of sunny winter days.

Originally Posted by fish.01
It's always been know that Melbourne has more raindays but less rain fall. From memory, its around 700mm in M, 1000 in Synd and 1300 in Brisbane.

I would suggest that raindays (or rather cloud) seem to be the gauge when people complain about rain.

I have always loved reading climate statistics, too and bom.gov.au was one of my favourite sites, even while living in AU.

The ideal city between the three for me would be a mix of Sydney's location (love the harbour and mix of city and ocean beaches) and weather, Melbourne's inner city with the European flair, and Brisbane's winter weather, subtropical plants and it's modern inner city developments coupled with the fact, that in Brisbane people actually enjoy entertaining in the city, whereas in Sydney (not sure about Melbourne) people tend to just get into and out of the CBD in great commuting stress and rather abandon it any other times.

If any Melburnian could tell me what their perception of 'sunny days' throughout the year is, I would appreciate it.
I have always thought that except for a few hot and usually very sunny summer months, it would be mostly a mix of all types of weather each day for the rest of the year (the typical '4 seasons in 1 day').
4 seasons is rubbish. It works like this: an overcast cool morning in summer could be a cloudless scorcher by 1pm. 3 days of heat >38degrees will be followed by a rapid (and welcome) cool change of a day or two followed by a increase back up to temp.

Summers - Some years the real heat does not arrive until Christmas and goes on to February. You can almost divide summer in to 2 - pre-heat and heat - but there are always changes. Christmas seems to be the trigger!

A Melbourne spring and autumn are like UK summers. They can be cool or even warm, verging on heat. Autumn is more stable than spring and so March -May can be the best time of year with April and Easter the choice for camping.

The 4 seasons might refer to bands moving through an area - rain and sun. It happens in countries that have 'proper' weather - it's like 'proper' chips.

Sometimes 'winter' can drag on well into October..evident by the rest of the nation having a laugh at Melbourne's expense during the Melbourne Cup (Nov). It is still mild (tshirts) and there are sunny days.

Overall, living in Melbourne is like a short winter, with the longest, most favourable British summer you've ever experienced - with heat in Jan and Feb.

Winters can be overcast - but still bright. Mild - a jumper or light coat is needed. A proper coat is only needed for standing around at sporting events or if you are out and about standing in the morning. Sunny days to be had, nearer the city or coast. Blazing sunny days follow cold and clear nights where temps fall to several degrees above zero. But make no mistake, most days are overcast - it is not like Perth, Bris or Sydney.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 31st 2014 at 10:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.