Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Old Dec 11th 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Originally Posted by Stitch
Are the bayside's built around wetlands or am I being really ignorant?

Cheers

Ginny
With the exception of the sand beaches (both north & south) Moreton Bay's waterfront is a series of mangrove ecosystems which are more obvious in the southern (shallower and more protected) end of the bay, towards the Gold Coast.

Despite the efforts of some to clear mangroves so they can get a view, the trees grow back

WW
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:41 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
With the exception of the sand beaches (both north & south) Moreton Bay's waterfront is a series of mangrove ecosystems which are more obvious in the southern (shallower and more protected) end of the bay, towards the Gold Coast.

Despite the efforts of some to clear mangroves so they can get a view, the trees grow back

WW
Does this cause problems with flooding and subsidence?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Does this cause problems with flooding and subsidence?

Cheers

Ginny
Parts of Cleveland Point were flooded in the 1905 cyclone.

Christmas tides and a cyclone in the Coral Sea can cause the grass near the revetment walls of some Raby Bay homes to get 'washed" (you walk up to the pontoon ).

Subsidence? There were some problems with some canal frontages to properties at Raby Bay. Not aware of problems elsewhere in the Redlands or Brisbane.

WW
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:35 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Parts of Cleveland Point were flooded in the 1905 cyclone.

Christmas tides and a cyclone in the Coral Sea can cause the grass near the revetment walls of some Raby Bay homes to get 'washed" (you walk up to the pontoon ).

Subsidence? There were some problems with some canal frontages to properties at Raby Bay. Not aware of problems elsewhere in the Redlands or Brisbane.

WW
Cheers for that.

Ginny
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Originally Posted by scissors
sorry my internet connection got cut off last night in the storm you can swim in the water,but im not sure about diving or snorkeling,havent tried it mayslef,at wellington point you can walk right out to an island when the tide is out,
Can anyone tell me - is there anywhere within commuting distance of Brisbane where there are beaches where you can swim and snorkel?

Not bothered about surfing and accept that I may have to go a wee bit further afield for diving!

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:17 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Can anyone tell me - is there anywhere within commuting distance of Brisbane where there are beaches where you can swim and snorkel?

Not bothered about surfing and accept that I may have to go a wee bit further afield for diving!

Thanks

Buzzy
You can swim at most of the bayside beaches, problem is you can only really do it at high tide (well say 3 hrs either side of it as well). Dead low tide means the water is usually about knee deep for about 200 yards . At high tide & the leadin & out the water will be waist, eventually up to neck, deep.

Coochimudlo island, which is a 5 min ferry ride from Viccy Point would probably be your closest beach that you could swim at anytime.

Not sure what your criteria for snorkelling is - I mean technically you can snorkel anywhere that there is more than a foot or 2 of water, so you could do it at any of the bayside beaches, however IMO its a pretty useless exercise unless you can see reef or something similar. In that regard, even the Gold Coast would be useless - too much surf & nothing in it to see!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:26 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
You can swim at most of the bayside beaches, problem is you can only really do it at high tide (well say 3 hrs either side of it as well). Dead low tide means the water is usually about knee deep for about 200 yards . At high tide & the leadin & out the water will be waist, eventually up to neck, deep.

Coochimudlo island, which is a 5 min ferry ride from Viccy Point would probably be your closest beach that you could swim at anytime.

Not sure what your criteria for snorkelling is - I mean technically you can snorkel anywhere that there is more than a foot or 2 of water, so you could do it at any of the bayside beaches, however IMO its a pretty useless exercise unless you can see reef or something similar. In that regard, even the Gold Coast would be useless - too much surf & nothing in it to see!
Don't mean to be thick so please forgive me. I have a map and will check again but what areas of the bayside have beaches. I would love to stay around but a bit unsure due to potential floods/subsidence cause they appear to be in close proximatey to wetlands. Easy seeing I'm in panic mode and I still have a bit to go in the UK !

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't mean to be thick so please forgive me. I have a map and will check again but what areas of the bayside have beaches. I would love to stay around but a bit unsure due to potential floods/subsidence cause they appear to be in close proximatey to wetlands. Easy seeing I'm in panic mode and I still have a bit to go in the UK !

Cheers

Ginny
Floods as in big Australian floods dont happen in the southern Redlands Bayside suburbs. According to old timers there was some flooding around the low areas of Lota/Thorneside/Birkdale (northern bit of Redlands) during the famous 1974 flood. Local flash flooding can occur in a few places after really heavy continuous rain which can be a PIB but not the end of the world. I have not been land locked in the Redlands.

If you want subsidence try Ipswich above the coal mines :scared: but not Redlands, Manly/Wynnum or Redcliffe.

Go and have some and relax.

WW
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Ginny
Ginny, there are no "wetlands" in the bayside housing areas. Mangrove's grow in some areas, but there are no flooding or "subsidence" problems for 99.9999% of homeowners (just as there arent in most areas in the UK). Aussie coastal habitat around here is unique, I presume there must be problems like that in the UK for you to be worried about them, however those problems dont translate to Brisbane's bayside. Settlement started here in 1842, I think we would have noticed any major flooding & subsidence problems by now . The only place that I have ever known to have problems as WW said is Raby Bay, but that is because IMO reclaimed land & canal estates don't really mix . It was a pretty specific problem, not the sort of thing that would happen in a normal estate. Most of the bayside area is build on ground no different to the rest of Brisbane.

Hate to tell you, but if you are put off an area because it may flood then that will rule out most of Brisbane, cos in 1974 flood half of brisbane was underwater (I think 17 suburbs were affected including areas around Nathan campus).

The beaches in bayside are at Wynnum, Manly, Wellington Point, Cleveland, Raby Bay, Victoria Point & Coochimudlo Island. (I think I got them all).

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Dec 12th 2005 at 9:48 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

The beaches in bayside are at Wynnum, Manly, Wellington Point, Cleveland, Raby Bay, Victoria Point & Coochimudlo Island. (I think I got them all).
Horseshoe Bay on Peel Island. Bit of a swim though

Or Straddie if dont like the long swim and take the barge $$ .

WW
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:43 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Ginny, there are no "wetlands" in the bayside housing areas. Mangrove's grow in some areas, but there are no flooding or "subsidence" problems for 99.9999% of homeowners (just as there arent in most areas in the UK). Aussie coastal habitat around here is unique, I presume there must be problems like that in the UK for you to be worried about them, however those problems dont translate to Brisbane's bayside. Settlement started here in 1842, I think we would have noticed any major flooding & subsidence problems by now . The only place that I have ever known to have problems as WW said is Raby Bay, but that is because IMO reclaimed land & canal estates don't really mix . Most of the bayside area is build on ground no different to the rest of Brisbane.

Hate to tell you, but if you are put off an area because it may flood then that will rule out most of Brisbane, cos in 1974 flood half of brisbane was underwater (I think 17 suburbs were affected including areas around Nathan campus).

Cheers for the info guys. Just what I was looking for.

I must remember to keep my books off the ground when I get to my office in Nathan!

I live in an area where there isn't that kind of problem. Used to live near a part in Ediburgh that subsided but that was mine shafts I think the houses were built upon.

You've eased my mind.........Now what can I panic about next

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers for the info guys. Just what I was looking for.

I must remember to keep my books off the ground when I get to my office in Nathan! You've eased my mind.........Now what can I panic about next

Cheers

Ginny
If you are going to keep your books off the ground at Griffith Uni then I had better get a boat (Ark-sized) and start gathering animals (2x2).

Is there something that you know and are not telling us?????

Should WE panic now??

WW
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:02 pm
Rocket Scientist

I must remember to keep my books off the ground when I get to my office in Nathan!

LOL Griffith Uni itself should be safe as its on a considerable rise, but some of the areas around there (Moorooka, Rocklea, Sherwood etc) got quite badly hit in 1974.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:16 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Thanks

Buzzy
we were at wellington point beach last night and there were familes with babies in swimming at 8pm and it was dark!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:18 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

I could think of a few things but probably not in a public forum...

WW
We live in maridale park (capalaba)
after spending a year renting in birkdale/welli point.
Maridale park is a great estate ,i think people hear things about capalaba and take an instant dislike to it like we did.
But on looking round the area where we live we love it.
leanne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.