Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That made me think, I don't see any zimmer frames here, they all ride around on those little electric carts, or whatever they are called, even in the shopping centres.

Hey.... I wouldn't mind one of those myself Maybe in blue

Sue x
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

for me bayside only lacks one thing..vast beaches having said that it depends what you want from a beach,if its surf you want then bayside is not the place for you,you d have to go to one of the islands for that,but it does have smaller beches enough for the kids to play and make sand castles there thompsons beach at victoria point,wellington point and wynnum,that i know about,there may even be more
i certainly dont find it to quiet,ive never had such a busy social life,lol,never in actually,theres nightclubs in capalaba and cleveland,cafe bars al over the place,a goos pub in wellington point(there is more but i havent treid them myself)bars at the marina in cleveland,plenty of places to eat out,sports barts are the cheapest places for booze and theres plenty of them here,sports galore,water sports a plenty,ivge never seen so many shops in such a small area,we re only 25 mins in the car from the city,we go there regularly and theres loades of life there,we re only 40 mnins from the gold coast and abn hour away from the sunshine coast,and we csn go to the various islands some of which are only 20 mins on the ferry and get the nicer beaches.
If only it had the gorgeous beches of the gold coast and the sunshine coast we would have it made oh well you cant have everything.

tracey
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

oh by the way,the cheescakes are fabulous and i can vouch for the balti
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Originally Posted by scissors
for me bayside only lacks one thing..vast beaches having said that it depends what you want from a beach,if its surf you want then bayside is not the place for you,you d have to go to one of the islands for that,but it does have smaller beches enough for the kids to play and make sand castles there thompsons beach at victoria point,wellington point and wynnum,that i know about,there may even be more
tracey

These small beaches on bayside - are any of them any good for swimming / snorkelling? And is there any diving on bayside or do you have to go further afield?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:15 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie
Hi Ginny,

Were still waiting to here, cc money came out about 3 weeks ago, husband Ged is refrigeration engineer he has got job in Brisbane waiting for him. House is on the market, Ged,s new employers have been great who said Bayside is fantastic although we have got relatives who live in Mango hill ( North lakes ).
We won,t do the move if successful until May 06 due to our eldest daughter,s GCSE exams. Yeah he is a mad golfer and i,am the widow.
Were are you going if your not already there.

Bye for now
Jackie
Hi Jackie,

We're still in the UK, Dundee in fact. We're hoping to sell early next year and go. I have an interview very soon so fingers crossed! We're not too fixed on any one place in Brisbane. Schools are more where we'll base ourselves around. Not a golf widow either so not too bad.

Cheers
Ginny
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

for me bayside only lacks one thing..vast beaches
Thank goodness for that. If there were surf beaches in the Redlands you could not afford to live in Cleveland or the Redlands for that matter. The quality of life would be the pits. Schoolies every day of the week.

WW
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:27 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Thank goodness for that. If there were surf beaches in the Redlands you could not afford to live in Cleveland or the Redlands for that matter. The quality of life would be the pits. Schoolies every day of the week.

WW
And I wouldn't get any work done
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by A dogs life
And I wouldn't get any work done
You wouldnt be alone there.

I wonder how many people would now find Ormiston appealing if Queensland Cement had built, in the 50-60's, a processing factory on the edge of Raby Bay

WW
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billabong
Hey Mrs D - are you going to POHMS Xmas party on Friday at the Spice Avenue?
Hiya B, sorry, missed this before (too busy ). No, we arent off to the xmas party, although I did see mention of it when we were down there for dinner last week.

As for the rest of the thread, I agree with sissors, bayside has everything we need (& doesnt have schoolies, too many tourists & tacky tourist attractions ). It doesnt have the beaches that the coasts have, but personally I dont spend time "at the beach" in the conventional sense anyway, so for us its perfect.

I couldn't bear to live in the middle of Southport, it would be my worst nightmare, but Paul & his wife obviously love it there. Different strokes for different folks .

Buzzy, no diving etc unless you go offshore (applies to both bayside & the coasts). Best snorkelling is around Stradbroke & Moreton Islands.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

In defence of the Gold Coast

We wasn't effected by schoolies and we are 3 mins from Palm Beach

Tourist attractions....30 mins away from us, I think about the same sort of distance from peeps at Bayside

Tacky tourist attractions, Surfers?....we're about 25 mins away, so its not on our doorstep

Just have a good look around when you come over, you know as soon as you drive into an area if it feels right

All the best

Sue x
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:07 pm
ABCDiamond

thompsons beach at victoria point,wellington point and wynnum,that i know about,there may even be more
Cleveland, Raby bay has a small beach aswell.

One of your meet ups at Thompsons beach, during this holiday, may go down well with parents and kids. (preferably at about high tide )

PS: When I say quiet, I compare to Sydney, where I was before here

Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sue2
In defence of the Gold Coast

We wasn't effected by schoolies and we are 3 mins from Palm Beach

Tourist attractions....30 mins away from us, I think about the same sort of distance from peeps at Bayside

Tacky tourist attractions, Surfers?....we're about 25 mins away, so its not on our doorstep

Just have a good look around when you come over, you know as soon as you drive into an area if it feels right

All the best

Sue x
If the Redlands had surf beaches, it would actually be worse than the Gold Coast CBD due to the proximity of Brisbane as an employment base. Mind you Brisbane would also be a lot larger than it is now if there were surf beaches as many southerners would have made the move long ago and skipped the Gold Coast.

WW
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Cleveland, Raby bay has a small beach aswell.

One of your meet ups at Thompsons beach, during this holiday, may go down well with parents and kids. (preferably at about high tide )

PS: When I say quiet, I compare to Sydney, where I was before here
Make it low tide so the children can chase the crabs
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:31 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hope I haven't started a Bayside v Gold Coast thread. They're both great spots for different people. Plus, alot of people like living in the centre of Brisbane or up in the Redcliffe area. The point is have a look around when you get here and choose the place that suits you.

Paul.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by diddy
Hope I haven't started a Bayside v Gold Coast thread. They're both great spots for different people. Plus, alot of people like living in the centre of Brisbane or up in the Redcliffe area. The point is have a look around when you get here and choose the place that suits you.

Paul.
It's less than an Hour between each, so we can enjoy both, no matter which we choose to live in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.