Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice
Default Re: Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

They eat a lot of cheesec cake on the South side of the river apparently
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:09 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billabong
They eat a lot of cheesec cake on the South side of the river apparently
Maybe, but even more Balti curries
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:42 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Hi

We have lived in Cleveland now for just over 10 weeks and have just bought our own house here.

We love it as it has everything you could want really.
Also its in the middle of the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.
It has that spacious on holidat feel about it with its coffee shops and restaurants, has its own livrary which is ace, take aways and plenty to do all the time. This Saturday we have Christmas at the harbour which is music and shows going on for kids and adults also food stalls.
Cleveland State school is where Aimee goes and I can't moan. She has swimming lessons once a week in their own outdoor pool and the lessons are for an hour (in the UK they were for 20 mins if she was lucky)

To sum it up its supercalifragilisticexpialidosious!!!!!

But we do have storms really bad (but so do all the other suburbs.

See you here then shall I??

Ang
I'm sold!

Ginny
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:54 pm
ged
Forum Regular

ged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's down in Redland Bay, next suburb down, couple of minutes away
http://www.redlandbaygolf.com.au/
Thanks for all info and link on Golf courses , hopefully it will happen soon for myself and Jackie.

all the best
Ged
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:28 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ged
Thanks for all info and link on Golf courses , hopefully it will happen soon for myself and Jackie.

all the best
Ged

When and where are you hoping to go? I take it the golf courses in Bayside swung it for you!

Cheers
Ginny
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Hey Mrs D - are you going to POHMS Xmas party on Friday at the Spice Avenue?
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:21 pm
jackie

Smile Re: Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Originally Posted by Stitch
When and where are you hoping to go? I take it the golf courses in Bayside swung it for you!

Cheers
Ginny
Hi Ginny,

Were still waiting to here, cc money came out about 3 weeks ago, husband Ged is refrigeration engineer he has got job in Brisbane waiting for him. House is on the market, Ged,s new employers have been great who said Bayside is fantastic although we have got relatives who live in Mango hill ( North lakes ).
We won,t do the move if successful until May 06 due to our eldest daughter,s GCSE exams. Yeah he is a mad golfer and i,am the widow.
Were are you going if your not already there.

Bye for now
Jackie

Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:26 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jackie
Yeah he is a mad golfer and i,am the widow.
Jackie
Some info for your Husband

Here is a link to Golf Courses in and around Brisbane
http://www.iseekgolf.com/courses/cou...p?area=24&creg

Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:34 pm
jackie

Smile Re: Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Some info for your Husband

Here is a link to Golf Courses in and around Brisbane
http://www.iseekgolf.com/courses/cou...p?area=24&creg
Thanks ABC he will love all that info, i won,t wake him just now he,s snoring his head off.

Thanks again
all the best
Jackie

Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:36 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to chuck a curve ball at the Bayside, but you have to make sure it's the type of area you really want. True, it has all the facilities, but having spent alot of time there I found it to be too quiet (dull really), seriously surburbian and way too spread out.

That's not to say, as per above, loads of people don't love it, but it's more of a place to retire to and settle down. I really couldn't live there.

To say it's lovely, nice, pleasant and so on is absolutely true, but this just all translated as dull when I went there.

Reason for the post is we were banking on it being the place for us, and were gutted when we saw it. That's not to say it won't be the place for, but keep your options open.

Likewise we live in the centre of Southport on the Gold Coast and that sort of lifestyle doesn't suit alot of people either.

Paul.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by diddy
Sorry to chuck a curve ball at the Bayside, but you have to make sure it's the type of area you really want. True, it has all the facilities, but having spent alot of time there I found it to be too quiet (dull really), seriously surburbian and way too spread out.

That's not to say, as per above, loads of people don't love it, but it's more of a place to retire to and settle down. I really couldn't live there.

To say it's lovely, nice, pleasant and so on is absolutely true, but this just all translated as dull when I went there.

Reason for the post is we were banking on it being the place for us, and were gutted when we saw it. That's not to say it won't be the place for, but keep your options open.

Likewise we live in the centre of Southport on the Gold Coast and that sort of lifestyle doesn't suit alot of people either.

Paul.
Agreed, all areas are different to each persons needs. Many families with small children seem to love this area though. Quiet, safe, loads of schools and not too much traffic.

It's definitely not as lively as the Gold Coast Not suitable for young couples etc., who want nightclubs etc.

Actually a good guide is the demographic snapshots of different areas at: http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/snapshot/

eg: My area has 61% married, whilst Southport is only 39%. (Many more singles live in Southport)

The numbers over 60 years old are 19% in my area, compared to only 16% in Greater Brisbane but 24% in Southport.

This seems to indicate that Southport is more popular with younger singles and the older retired. ?

Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:53 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

The numbers over 60 years old are 19% in my area, compared to only 16% in Greater Brisbane but 24% in Southport.

This seems to indicate that Southport is more popular with younger singles and the older retired. ?

Good point. I've never seen so many zimmer frames in one place till I moved to Southport.

Likewise, there's considerably less families that actually live here.

Paul.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Good point. I've never seen so many zimmer frames in one place till I moved to Southport.

Likewise, there's considerably less families that actually live here.

Paul.
Just for the record, if I was 20 years younger, and single, I wouldn't choose Bayside for myself (actually Sydney was good for that era)

But with a young child, it suits me almost perfectly. Take away the mossies, and I couldn't find anything to complain about, well, that and once they have finished the 4 lane road upgrades between me and Brisbane (but it is almost done)

Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:07 pm
ABCDiamond

That made me think, I don't see any zimmer frames here, they all ride around on those little electric carts, or whatever they are called, even in the shopping centres.

Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Paul.

Have to agree with you, we came very close to moving to Cleveland as it is a really lovely place...but after going there at different times of day and evening we realized it wasn't for us.

Also when we came over here we wanted to be close to the beach, we had a few 'very long' journeys back down to the coast from Cleveland which really made our minds up.

We have two young children and where we live is full of life and lots of families of all ages and we love it!! Surfers is very busy and I personally wouldn't want to live right on top of it. But the surrounding areas are great and well worth a good look.

Take your time in choosing your area.....so glad we did

Sue x

Last edited by Sue2; Dec 8th 2005 at 12:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.