Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

Old Aug 26th 2004, 8:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

Originally Posted by Pollyana
D'you know the funniest bit? Before I left I had received- by internal mail, from the boss, from the boss's secretary etc etc - no less than 4 "Exit Questionaires" - since leaving I have had another 3 through the post! I figure they REALLY want my views, so today I filled four pages of A4 with my unvarnished views of the company and my former boss and posted them to Human Resources quick before I got cold feet........
Oh, very good! Brilliant!
Oh, you better let us know if you get reply/reaction!
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Oh, very good! Brilliant!
Oh, you better let us know if you get reply/reaction!
I can't imagine HR will not speak to the boss about it - some of the issues were very basic, like telling the staff they are not entitled to take any leave, when in fact they are, trying to enforce the purchasing and buying of uniform - when its voluntary.....wish I could be a fly on the wall! Ah, revenge is sweet!
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

To get used to the Aussie rubbish tip system:

-when clearing out your UK house in prep for the big move, each time you go to the rubbish tip, give the guy on the gate a fiver

-if you haven't got a fiver, just dump your rubbish and all your unwamted household junk along the side of the road somewhere
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
To get used to the Aussie rubbish tip system:

-when clearing out your UK house in prep for the big move, each time you go to the rubbish tip, give the guy on the gate a fiver

-if you haven't got a fiver, just dump your rubbish and all your unwamted household junk along the side of the road somewhere
And once a year take all your broken electrical stuff, pieces of furniture etc and put them by the side of the street outside your house, if possible completely blocking the pavement, in the forlorn hope that the council will remove it all before the local kids spread it all acrooss the road
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And once a year take all your broken electrical stuff, pieces of furniture etc and put them by the side of the street outside your house, if possible completely blocking the pavement, in the forlorn hope that the council will remove it all before the local kids spread it all acrooss the road
LOL!

Simulate Australian kerbside recyling by leaving a box of old newspapers and all the other crap you get in your mailbox, plus a dozen pizza boxes, on the pavement outside your house for 2 weeks. Get all the neighbours to do the same. When two weeks is up and no one's been to collect it, take it to the tip. With a fiver.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
Simone, to get a job in a Qld bakery you have to say this below:

How are yous today? ( shop assistant)

( good thanks, and how are yous) ( me trying to blend in..lol)

what can I get you?
( blah blah blah.. a cob thanks - and can you slice for me)

Sees you laters ( shop assistant)
( me: sees you laters).. me cringing at my s's .. and no intention of literally seeing the shop assistant later..s

cheers
Sounds like Reading, Berks all the yous..

This thread is great I've learnt heaps!
Can someone tell me BTW is (new to all this)
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebraH
Sounds like Reading, Berks all the yous..

This thread is great I've learnt heaps!
Can someone tell me BTW is (new to all this)
BTW = By the way

G
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:56 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Get used to the choice of cars by only visiting 2 dealerships.
Your either a Ford man or a Holden man. Women don't figure in this at all

Visit Lanzarote to get used to dry, arid, barren Qld

Get up to go to work in the middle of the night so you get more done before the sun fries your brain.

Go to a restaurant you have never eaten in before and insist on paying for the food first.

Drive to the next county just to buy a takaway.

Fill your tank to the brim drive until it's half empty then return home after an 8 hour day and tell everyone how much cheaper the fuel is in Australia.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

swiss tony is an unknown quantity at this point

If applying for a spouse visa make sure you do not fall for a slapper/player (delete as required)! Ensure that they know what the following words mean: faithful, honesty, integrity, decency

Regards

David
Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Take the tiles off your roof and replace with corrugated metal. Then get some local kids to use their catapults to constantly fire gravel or frozen peas on to it so that you can get used to sleeping when it rains hard.

G
Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
Take the tiles off your roof and replace with corrugated metal. Then get some local kids to use their catapults to constantly fire gravel or frozen peas on to it so that you can get used to sleeping when it rains hard.

G

This thread is just the BEST. I am realising how much I miss the British sense of humour now, lucky I have got a couple of Brit mates out here
Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Before you go to Australia catch several British house spiders. Then paint a red spot on a third of them, a white spot on a third and leave the others 'au naturelle'.
Then release them all in your house and start to practice swatting the ones with the colours on.

G
Old Aug 26th 2004, 12:23 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by swiss tony
If applying for a spouse visa make sure you do not fall for a slapper/player (delete as required)! Ensure that they know what the following words mean: faithful, honesty, integrity, decency

Regards

David
LOL
Glad to see above all else you have kept your sense of humour - keep posting

Jill

Old Aug 26th 2004, 12:25 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
LOL - Excellent

But don't forget to build the walls out of cardboard so you can hear the neighbours TV
Jill

Old Aug 26th 2004, 12:47 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Get someone to dim the lights every time you put the kettle on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.