LCD Vs Plasma

Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default LCD Vs Plasma

Im interested if anybody out there has got both and in that case how much does the quality really differ?

We are looking to ge a new flatscreen (probably about 50")and are torn between the cheaper plasma, which we are told by salesmen are of lesser quality and dont last as long, or splurging a bit more (and maybe missing out with a few other nice things for the house).

I'm not a technologically-minded bunny so please dont quote loads of data at me (brain might explode) - just an opinion of cost vs quality analysis by someone who is not trying to squeeze every last dollar out of me.

Much appreciated!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LCD Vs Plasma

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Im interested if anybody out there has got both and in that case how much does the quality really differ?

We are looking to ge a new flatscreen (probably about 50")and are torn between the cheaper plasma, which we are told by salesmen are of lesser quality and dont last as long, or splurging a bit more (and maybe missing out with a few other nice things for the house).

I'm not a technologically-minded bunny so please dont quote loads of data at me (brain might explode) - just an opinion of cost vs quality analysis by someone who is not trying to squeeze every last dollar out of me.

Much appreciated!
I prefer LCD, just because I do, but you are going to get a stream of 'experts' yaddaing on about why plasma is better. It comes down to personal choice - some of the new Sony and Samsung LCDs are as cheap as plasma.

My favourite TV at the moment is the Samsung 8 series LED LCD - an amazing product.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:43 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

When I was looking for a new Flatscreen I went into a shop and compared the two (although I bought online, where it was cheap). To me the LCD came out best, when properly adjusted. You might see things differently.

However, if you don't need one this minute, it might be useful to see what the launch of 3D TV brings. Its due during this year and at least for some technologies should be a minimally priced extra. Sony will be upgrading the firmware on the PS3 to support it, so Avatar 3D in your living room for Christmas is a distinct possibility.

My plan is a normal sized flatscreen for everyday use, and a 3D DLP Projector covering a wall for watching those movies or special sporting events.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:56 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We bought a plasma when we arrived 3 years ago. At the time we were worried about the burn in problems but we were assured that the newer models were just fine and no issues. The plasma was cheaper so we went with that.

Within 3 months we managed to have a bit of a burn in problem despite being very careful just in case. So the tv looks totally normal unless the screen is very dark, in which case you can see a big white circle on the left side. It's possible I could have got it fixed but with two little kids at home I couldn't imagine trying to bring bag a rather large plasma tv that we had trouble getting home in the first place.

So... I would suggest going with the LCD even if it's more money. You'd also save costs on electricity as well because plasma's get fairly hot when they run and therefore cost more to operate. Plus, you won't have a potential problem with burning in of images.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:11 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

LCD still suffer from ghosting and the the bigger the TV the more noticeable the ghosting is. I have a 46 inch Sony Bravia LCD with the 200Hz refresh rate and it still gets ghosting. Does my head in.

Can't beat a plasma for picture quality.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GarryP
However, if you don't need one this minute, it might be useful to see what the launch of 3D TV brings.
Can you imagine getting all your mates around to watch a movie/footy wearing 3D goggles... Only to realise you don't have enough and don't want to spend an extra $200 each for more.

For some reason I can't see 3D TV taking off.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

MY LG LCD has developed dull colour and a big blue patch down a large portion of the screen. All I know is its just out of warranty bloody always happens to me.

Rang repair service really helpful, not, said could be $200 to fix it could be $1200, and its the sort of TV size you cant just stuff in the car of course.

Probably cheaper to buy another one, they must bank on that I think
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a Panasonic Viera (Plasma). Superb televisions.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by comet555
We bought a plasma when we arrived 3 years ago. At the time we were worried about the burn in problems but we were assured that the newer models were just fine and no issues. The plasma was cheaper so we went with that..
Was it an LG, Samsung or other cheap and cheerful brand?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:20 am
Account Closed

If only Pioneer were still making plasmas. Best TV's ever made...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:22 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deancm
Was it an LG, Samsung or other cheap and cheerful brand?
LG
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by comet555
LG
That says it all.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:32 am
Canuck/Aussie

That says it all.
Yes, probably does. But we didn't want to buy a really expensive one if there was a possibility that we might move in a few years.

As we'll be buying a new one within the next year what would your choice in brands be?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Can you imagine getting all your mates around to watch a movie/footy wearing 3D goggles... Only to realise you don't have enough and don't want to spend an extra $200 each for more.

For some reason I can't see 3D TV taking off.
Well:
  • For particular technologies, its about another $50 to allow it to do 3D (although I'm sure they will put a price premium on at first)
  • The shutter glasses need be no more than $50 each, although designer versions will be more.
  • The TV still works as a 2D HDTV for non 3D content.
  • There's 3D movies, 3D games, and probably eventually 3D broadcast TV.
  • As anyone who's been to a 3D movie will attest, its much more involving.
So yep, I think it will take off. I'm going to guess that people will get their own glasses (probably to show off).
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:45 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Bert Newton in 3D?

Think I'll stick to my 'cheap' and cheerful Sanyo 32" LCD for now ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.