Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids haven't been out for 6 months

Kids haven't been out for 6 months

Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:03 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Kids haven't been out for 6 months

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Be careful if you make it out to Aus as to where you live, as we can get 6 months of 40C temps with little or no ozone above you. Or on the other side get massive floods that are happening right now.
:
6 months of 40c degrees l don't think it even gets that hot in the hottest part of the of the outback.
where l live in OZ we only get around 5-10 days a year over 40c degrees.

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 4th 2010 at 7:08 am.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Even if you get a really hot day like 40c degrees atleast in the late evening and night time it cools down and you can go outdoors, l often go bike riding or walking through the streets at night when its too hot during the day. If its -20 or wet and cold you stuck indoors 24 hours a day.
Yup, that's why we moved...
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Be careful if you make it out to Aus as to where you live, as we can get 6 months of 40C temps with little or no ozone above you. Or on the other side get massive floods that are happening right now.
Yeah, where in Australia is it that wretchedly hot? We've just had the hottest and driest summer on record in Perth and according to the BOM site, only 4 days officially above 40C from Dec 1 to March 1.

Quite a few 38/39C days that I'm sure felt like in the 40s, but not actually over the 40C mark.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
6 months of 40c degrees l don't think it even gets that hot in the hottest part of the of the outback.
where l live in OZ we only get around 5-10 days a year over 40c degrees.
By the same token, suggesting you couldn't have gone out in the last 6mths in the UK is ludicrous as well. Also I'm not sure why this 'magical' 40 deg seems to be the marker for uncomfortableness. High humidity can make it very very uncomfortable at much lower temps than that, at least on the east coast.

Makes me laugh when newcomers to Oz arrive in Perth and a few mths later are 'experts' on the rest of Oz.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
By the same token, suggesting you couldn't have gone out in the last 6mths in the UK is ludicrous as well. Also I'm not sure why this 'magical' 40 deg seems to be the marker for uncomfortableness. High humidity can make it very very uncomfortable at much lower temps than that, at least on the east coast.

Makes me laugh when newcomers to Oz arrive in Perth and a few mths later are 'experts' on the rest of Oz.
I've just recently arrived and I'm obviously not an expert...but I think saying that new migrants can expect six months of 40C is off the mark.

And yes, humidity can affect the perception of heat etc. Same in reverse...the old, "but it's a dry cold!"

I can't speak for UK winters, but with Canadian ones...we wouldn't have stopped going outdoors, but a lot of the things that we do here in Oz, even in the heat of summer, are extremely limited options back there...when it's been -20 or -25 and a metre of snow on the ground, walking to and from school, taking the kids to the playground, walking around the neighborhood is not very enjoyable (well, maybe to some folks, but not us). And some days it's not just an annoyance but dangerous (windchill and frostbite). So, yeah, we wouldn't refuse to leave the house for 6 months but we also wouldn't be doing any extra outdoor activities.

Last edited by Japonica; Mar 4th 2010 at 7:51 am.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
Just to remind those who are in Ozz or are contemplating on making the move, one of the many reasons why we want to move down under.

Our kids have not been able to play in the garden or park since last September (6 months!!) due to crap weather. Sorry they were out last month for an hour to make a snowman!! We have had the occasional muddy walk in local wooded parks and along the riverside but the large majority of the time they have been in the house or at soft play areas!!

We spent 2 weeks in Perth last August (Winter time apparently) and the kids played outside EVERY day.
Originally Posted by northernbird
My kids haven't played out for a while now due to the 40 degree temperatures as we have had the hottest summer on record in Perth. It can cut both ways you know.
Where's Grayling?

Your absolutely right Northernbird but I doubt they will be stuck in for 6 months! Is it still too hot in the mornings or late afternoons? Just wondering
6 months no. You've had the coldest winter in years. Depends on whether your destination has high humidity - but in a fit of sensibility, I'm tipping that no, evenings not an issue. Its only adults that have issues with it (or mossies) anyhow. If moving to States where there is no daylight saving, you might find that the evening window is shortened (drastically) in summer, or moved to the morning.

This Melbourne based poster is rarely inconvenienced by hot or cold, and tips Melbourne in ahead of the Uk for outdoor opportunities.

Of course - kids play during the day - in summer they will be at a disadvantage in Australia. But that will even out in winter. Kids are tougher than we are anyhow.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

You're spot on sportsendurance. I was just saying the same to my mrs. We live in Glasgow and our nearly 2 yr old hasn't been able to go to the park since the start of Sept. And prob won't be going for another 3 months. Luckily by then we'll be in Sydney.

Interesting how some of those making out this is not normal don't live in freezing temps. Who wants to go to a park when its any less than 10 degrees? Also as its dark when you go to work and dark when you get back you're hardly going to go running to the park.

And i'm not a softy as I play football most nights (minus 3 the other day) but I don't fancy taking my toddler out in that weather

I'd far rather go to the park in 30 degrees. And thats why we're moving. Down with cold weather!!!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:18 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Where's Grayling?

6 months no. You've had the coldest winter in years. Depends on whether your destination has high humidity - but in a fit of sensibility, I'm tipping that no, evenings not an issue. Its only adults that have issues with it (or mossies) anyhow. If moving to States where there is no daylight saving, you might find that the evening window is shortened (drastically) in summer, or moved to the morning.

This Melbourne based poster is rarely inconvenienced by hot or cold, and tips Melbourne in ahead of the Uk for outdoor opportunities.

Of course - kids play during the day - in summer they will be at a disadvantage in Australia. But that will even out in winter. Kids are tougher than we are anyhow.
OZ is a huge country with different climates, you got the tropical North near the equator, Mediterrinean climate further south then a cold climate like the UK down in Tasmania. Australia doesn't have one climate it depends on what part of the country you live in. l find the summers in Melbourne not as hot as Adelaide or Perth.

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 4th 2010 at 8:21 am.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

It's sorted then. 9 months in Perth (April - December), 2 months in Melbourne to cool down a little (Jan + Feb) and finally 1 month back in the UK for Christmas snow and to catch up with F+F. All donations kindly accepted
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:20 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

It's sorted then. 9 months in Perth (April - December), 2 months in Melbourne to cool down a little (Jan + Feb) and finally 1 month back in the UK for Christmas snow and to catch up with F+F. All donations kindly accepted
Just a heads up but Jan and Feb are the hottest months in Melly. It's when the 40+ days happen.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Then I can't win! Perhaps Ill try New Zealand for 2 months!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

To the poster who said they would'nt take their toddler out in less than 10c,why?My kids grew up in South Oz and winter time during the day,it went down to sometimes 5c,even less overnight.Did we stay in because of that?no we got rugged up,gloves,scarfes,thick coats (yes we are talking about Australia here not the UK)and either went for a long walk or to the park ect.Same as when we moved to the UK,no change.Infact shock horror,it was 7c yesterday,OH and I got rugged up,and yes headed out for a walk for 2 hours.Stop being woosies!If you're a "woosie"here in cold temperatures,you'll probably be a woosie in Australia when it gets over 30c!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by livinginreality
To the poster who said they would'nt take their toddler out in less than 10c,why?My kids grew up in South Oz and winter time during the day,it went down to sometimes 5c,even less overnight.Did we stay in because of that?no we got rugged up,gloves,scarfes,thick coats (yes we are talking about Australia here not the UK)and either went for a long walk or to the park ect.Same as when we moved to the UK,no change.Infact shock horror,it was 7c yesterday,OH and I got rugged up,and yes headed out for a walk for 2 hours.Stop being woosies!If you're a "woosie"here in cold temperatures,you'll probably be a woosie in Australia when it gets over 30c!
I don't mean we don't go out. I just mean you're less likely to go to the park when its cold. Just like you wouldn't go to the beach when its cold.

Most people do prefer going to the park in warm weather. You're obviously a weirdo. I think you should move to Alaska ;-)

Last edited by itxrd; Mar 4th 2010 at 11:07 am.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah, where in Australia is it that wretchedly hot? We've just had the hottest and driest summer on record in Perth and according to the BOM site, only 4 days officially above 40C from Dec 1 to March 1.

Quite a few 38/39C days that I'm sure felt like in the 40s, but not actually over the 40C mark.
Yes we got 38 today, can't really say it feels much different to 40C. Sorry for missing off the around 40C temps. Hasn't dropped below much 30C all the time we've been here, not even at night, still low 30's or high 20's
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by itxrd
I don't mean we don't go out. I just mean you're less likely to go to the park when its cold. Just like you wouldn't go to the beach when its cold.

Most people do prefer going to the park in warm weather. You're obviously a weirdo. I think you should move to Alaska ;-)
Or Canada... it was 7C there the other day too. My mom was BBQing and my brother is waiting until 10C to get his sandals on. Woohoo spring!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.