Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids haven't been out for 6 months

Kids haven't been out for 6 months

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all
Default Kids haven't been out for 6 months

Just to remind those who are in Ozz or are contemplating on making the move, one of the many reasons why we want to move down under.

Our kids have not been able to play in the garden or park since last September (6 months!!) due to crap weather. Sorry they were out last month for an hour to make a snowman!! We have had the occasional muddy walk in local wooded parks and along the riverside but the large majority of the time they have been in the house or at soft play areas!!

We spent 2 weeks in Perth last August (Winter time apparently) and the kids played outside EVERY day.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids haven't been out for 6 months

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
Just to remind those who are in Ozz or are contemplating on making the move, one of the many reasons why we want to move down under.

Our kids have not been able to play in the garden or park since last September (6 months!!) due to crap weather. Sorry they were out last month for an hour to make a snowman!! We have had the occasional muddy walk in local wooded parks and along the riverside but the large majority of the time they have been in the house or at soft play areas!!

We spent 2 weeks in Perth last August (Winter time apparently) and the kids played outside EVERY day.
My kids haven't played out for a while now due to the 40 degree temperatures as we have had the hottest summer on record in Perth. It can cut both ways you know.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Your absolutely right Northernbird but I doubt they will be stuck in for 6 months! Is it still too hot in the mornings or late afternoons? Just wondering
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Your absolutely right Northernbird but I doubt they will be stuck in for 6 months! Is it still too hot in the mornings or late afternoons? Just wondering
Tell your kids too toughen the fook up and chuck them out the front door.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:22 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Being too hot has kept me in countless times here, but I was always out in all weathers with the kids and dog in the U.K.

It's far easier to dress for cold and wet than it is for extreme humidity and heat......then there's the skin cancer issue

Winter is probably my favourite Season here.....cool mornings and evenings requiring long pants and fleece and beautiful crisp sunny days

...and lastly, it's an eye opener as to what you will miss once you arrive. Forewarned is forearmed and all that

Jan
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I can't speak for Perth but in Melbourne autumn and spring are by the far the best seasons - some days in winter is just too cold and wet and summer can be too hot (that said, this summer was awesome..)
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Must just be a soft english thing....

My kid always plays outside in winter (NZ winter)
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

In Brisbane my little boy hasn't been out playing for ages because it keeps pissing down with rain! Looking forward to winter!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask where you live in the UK?6 months of being stuck in?Are you serious?What temperature does it have to be for you to allow the kids outside?My kids are aussies(they are grown up now)and we spent more time inside in Australia than we ever did here in the UK.Try kicking the kids outside on a hot summer's day in Australia and see how long they last?Even if they do venture out,they will have to wear appropriate clothing,sunblock and stay in the shade most of the time.We live in Wiltshire and spend alot of time walking and I've hardly had any days where I feel like I am stuck inside!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

When I was a kid I used to play out in all weathers in the UK. I remember being out in the rain, walking around the woodlands near my home jumping in every puddle I could find. My mother loved me for that!

I think parents are a little over protective these days. I used to hate sitting indoors, so rarely did it. But then I never had computers, mobiles, facebook, playstations etc (they didn't exist).

I'd personally be much more wary of having kids play outside in Oz, due to the sun.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I agree - parents are a bit too over protective these days. And same for computers fb and stuff - never had that when I was a kid,

In saying that, my kid isnt allowed a FB page she is only 10 and doesnt need one and she doesnt spend much time on the pc or the ps coz shes not allowed (mean parents lol)
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:52 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
When I was a kid I used to play out in all weathers in the UK.
Luckily for you, you aren't a kid now, and your mum isn't posting on this thread.

Because it is too cold for kids to play outside in the UK, and too hot in Australia.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
I agree - parents are a bit too over protective these days. And same for computers fb and stuff - never had that when I was a kid,

In saying that, my kid isnt allowed a FB page she is only 10 and doesnt need one and she doesnt spend much time on the pc or the ps coz shes not allowed (mean parents lol)
Thats not being mean!Thats being kind!My kids are 22 and 20 now.We did'nt have a computer,did'nt need one either!We had better things to do with our time,like spending time together!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:56 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

My kids have played outside a reasonable amount this winter. We didn't get any snow here just lots of very cold, bright days.

Wrap up warm - no probs. In fact I struggle to get my son to wear a coat a lot of the time I don't know how he does it - I feel the cold very badly!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly can't see why children wouldn't be out playing in the UK for six months! I'm confused by that. My kids would have killed each other and me if they'd been stuck inside that long, surely it's only be a bit cold and a bit wet, what happens at playtime at school?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.