Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids haven't been out for 6 months

Kids haven't been out for 6 months

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:02 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids haven't been out for 6 months

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
I'm just wondering that if the heat is this bad in Ozz why don't we hear about people wanting to move to the UK for the cooler weather - I don't ever recall hearing that one!
I fully appreciate that none of you are necessarily saying the weather is better in the UK but I'm sure it can't be that bad. Everyone I speak to in Australia, especially Expats, say the lifestyle because of the sun is far better than in the UK??? Spring and Autumn must be beautiful?
I have no desire to move back but when you move from the uk to Oz, you trade the cold for the heat and whilst the heat can be nice, it can be limiting.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:03 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
My kids haven't played out for a while now due to the 40 degree temperatures as we have had the hottest summer on record in Perth. It can cut both ways you know.
Thats Perth, overhere in Melbourne summers are not as hot and theres very few summer days where its too hot for kids to play out doors. The average summer temp is 26 c degrees

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 3rd 2010 at 1:15 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sportsendurance;8390272]I'm just wondering that if the heat is this bad in Ozz why don't we hear about people wanting to move to the UK for the cooler weather - I don't ever recall hearing that one!
I fully appreciate that none of you are necessarily saying the weather is better in the UK but I'm sure it can't be that bad. Everyone I speak to in Australia, especially Expats, say the lifestyle because of the sun is far better than in the UK??? Spring and Autumn must be beautiful?[
Unfortunately I have a brother and sister in Australia that have both had skin cancer.Not saying no one is the UK has had skin cancer but both of them loved the sun and now they are paying for it.Don't understand the whole lifestyle thing with the sun.Having spent 30 summers living in Australia,it can be quite restricting.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just wondering that if the heat is this bad in Ozz why don't we hear about people wanting to move to the UK for the cooler weather - I don't ever recall hearing that one!
I fully appreciate that none of you are necessarily saying the weather is better in the UK but I'm sure it can't be that bad. Everyone I speak to in Australia, especially Expats, say the lifestyle because of the sun is far better than in the UK??? Spring and Autumn must be beautiful?
Spring & Autumn don't exist in parts of Aus, it's winter or summer.

You don't hear of people wanting to move to the UK for the weather, pretty obvious as Brits moan about how crap the weather is to anyone who'll listen lol. I have an Aussie Uncle who wants to spend a winter in Scotland, just to see what it's like, he thinks being freezing cold would be a wonderful adventure, plus seeing all the historic building etc.
Think you're over playing the 2 weeks you spent in Aus. Being on holiday and living somewhere are very different. Lifestyle here is lovely but on the HOT days (of which there can be an awful lot) people don't venture out into the sun, rather stay in doors or shaded areas.
Not sure where you intend on living in Aus but research the climate in detail. Otherwise you may well be in for a suprise
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Thats Perth, overhere in Melbourne summers are not as hot and theres very few summer days where its too hot for kids to play out doors. The average summer temp is 26 c degrees
Ah but you lot get cold and wet winters, shorter sun light hours in the day .
Have done a winter in Melbourne, was bloody cold once the sun went down and on days rain was like being in Manchester
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Read some of my posts. I did exactly that after years in Oz. Hey and guess what, I really am an endurance athlete. Go figure.

I came back on Feb 13th. Since then I've ridden 200 miles, ran 35miles and swam about 10kms. All of this early AM (save for Monday's ride) as I'm looking for a job, and I seem to have managed to stay alive. Quelle surprise!

In Oz I suffered years of exercise induced vomiting due to extreme heat (and please don't attempt to lecture me about hydration or sodium intake). Way happier training and racing here. Off to Nottingham on March 13th for an open water swim at Holme Pierrpoint followed by a 60mile ride and 10mile run in preparation for a race on Aug 8th.

Yep, absolutely impossible to train outdoors here.

You're making the mistake a lot of wannabees make. You're attempting to compare something you hope to be true against the experience of others that know it to be true. (as least as it applies to them individually).
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:34 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Read some of my posts. I did exactly that after years in Oz. Hey and guess what, I really am an endurance athlete. Go figure.

I came back on Feb 13th. Since then I've ridden 200 miles, ran 35miles and swam about 10kms. All of this early AM (save for Monday's ride) as I'm looking for a job, and I seem to have managed to stay alive. Quelle surprise!

In Oz I suffered years of exercise induced vomiting due to extreme heat (and please don't attempt to lecture me about hydration or sodium intake). Way happier training and racing here. Off to Nottingham on March 13th for an open water swim at Holme Pierrpoint followed by a 60mile ride and 10mile run in preparation for a race on Aug 8th.

Yep, absolutely impossible to train outdoors here.

You're making the mistake a lot of wannabees make. You're attempting to compare something you hope to be true against the experience of others that know it to be true. (as least as it applies to them individually).
OZ is a very large country different parts have different climates, l doubt you would have experienced any exterme heat if you lived in Tasmania for example.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
OZ is a very large country different parts have different climates, l doubt you would have experienced any exterme heat if you lived in Tasmania for example.
It is? I hadn't realised, clearly I didn't get out much in my 21yrs there.

I've worked in every major city as my job demands it. But if I'd lived in Tasmania I'd have others things to worry about, like unemployment and feeding two mouths.

I've seen absolutely no indication the OP is heading to Tasmania.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Great stuff TR1 boy - love your remarks. Totally agree with you the weather on the whole is great in the UK but I'm quite comfortable in the heat!! I was in Ozz fo 6 weeks back in the 80's racing over 800m in the national Athletics Champs in Melbourne. I didn't win the final but bloody trying to warm up and race in 40 degrees was hard work!!
Great to see what you are doing mate - keep it going and I'll say nothing about the hydration stuff as you requested.
For those in Brisbane check this out. I know the instructor and he exercises in all weathers except for the UK!! Give it ago.
www..suburbanbootcamps.com
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

JasonOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Great stuff TR1 boy - love your remarks. Totally agree with you the weather on the whole is great in the UK but I'm quite comfortable in the heat!! I was in Ozz fo 6 weeks back in the 80's racing over 800m in the national Athletics Champs in Melbourne. I didn't win the final but bloody trying to warm up and race in 40 degrees was hard work!!
Great to see what you are doing mate - keep it going and I'll say nothing about the hydration stuff as you requested.
For those in Brisbane check this out. I know the instructor and he exercises in all weathers except for the UK!! Give it ago.
Hi Sportsendurance. I saw you on 'Wanted Down Under' a while back, and just wondered if you are still intending on making the BIG move, and if so, what stage are you at? I'm just at the point of getting my documents sent to ACS :-)
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

We need to validate our visas by Dec 24th so we will be in Perth before then - not sure exactly when though. I'll start completing the teaching forms around Easter. Can't wait although Louise still wants to remain where we are and come to think of it so does my eldest daughter!! I'm hoping Perth can change her mind over a longer peiod of time. When do you expect moving and have you anything sorted out on the job front?
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. I do readily admit that my personal thermostat is a bit messed up as even amongst my British friends in Oz I seem to able to handle the heat less than most and train/race in the cold better than most. (I don't enjoy being cold anymore than being hot, but I seem to be able to puch myself better in the cooler temps).

800mtrs? I can't sprint to save my life, not running anyway, I can sprint on the bike in a crit but only if it's flat. I'm a 'diesel' kind of guy.

Ok just for balance, I'm a very positive person but just had my first bit of 'jobsworth' frustration since being back. I need to do some interval sessions on the treadmill as I need accurate kph/time for 20 x 60sec repeats at a fast pace. Rang the local gym (where I have been swimming) and asked about a casual visit and they said I can't just come and use the gym, I have to have an 'induction course' at 22GBP before they'll allow me to use the treadmill.

I don't think I've ever heard of that in Oz? I decided it's cheaper to do Fartlek efforts instead.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

JasonOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

We need to validate our visas by Dec 24th so we will be in Perth before then - not sure exactly when though. I'll start completing the teaching forms around Easter. Can't wait although Louise still wants to remain where we are and come to think of it so does my eldest daughter!! I'm hoping Perth can change her mind over a longer peiod of time. When do you expect moving and have you anything sorted out on the job front?
That's good to here. I do remember your other half had concerns about moving! glad to see your going ahead with the move, I'm sure they'll come around in the end, look at the weaher & lifestyle, how couldn't they?! I haven't got a job lined up as yet (I'm in I.T.), but once we get the visas I'm going to start looking for jobs in Melbourne...to be honest though, I'm not too bothered abot having a job before I go, as I'll just apply for stuff when I'm there
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

TR 1 boy; 20x60 secs is tough going mate. I always think you will get more out of doing 2x10x60 secs with a 1:1 ratio rest and a 1:8 ratio rest between sets although I'm sure you have you reasons for doing it your way - enjoy

Jasonoz - Go for it mate I'm sure you will be fine esp with IT.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:59 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with you all! I often kick my kids out in the cold but what I meant, and perhaps I wrote it badly, was that because of all the rain the garden is too wet (bad drainage) and playing outside on the grass would kill what little grass we have. I often have them riding their bikes at the front of the house at a weekend but by the time they return from nursery (ages 1, 3 and 5) and had their dinner it's too dark during the week.
It's great getting them wrapped up to go outside but it took about a week for my youngest child to get rid of frostbite a month or so ago!
I can see what you mean. My kids will play outside at school ( tarmac) and ride their bikes on the road (tarmac) but of course grass is more difficult if it's wet.
It's been too dark for mine to play out in the evenings but spring is coming!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.