Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Wikiposts

Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:27 am
Just Joined

gilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Originally Posted by possoms
our properties are up for sale at 'offers around' the price they were VALUED at.

out of interest did you put yours on the market for the valued price or cut it by half to let first time buyers have it??

interested in what your forum is taking about really many young people cant afford a mortgage of 70k the properties around here are on average 230k do you really suggest that we drop the price to for example 70k for first time buyers??

You all say we are greedy but if we dropped to a riddiclus price as above we would not be able to afford to buy our next property.

get real the properties in the range that we are selling are being bought by people with money not first time buyers.
Where in my post did I say anybody was greedy? or for that matter that you should drop your prices to £70K....

The point is I was trying to help everybody. You all want to sell your properties, I've sold mine so what better person to ask about selling a house than me.

I have "got real" it seems that it's you that haven't. Please do tell me where these people with £230k get their money from? It's a genuine question, most of the time there will be a chain involved somewhere and at some point in that chain there will be a FTB or BTL, as BTL hasn't made financial sense for some time (if you don't agree please feel free to come over the HPC and have somebody explain yields to you) the whole chain needs to be realistic about what each property can fetch.

I didn't say you need to cut buy half and of course I didn't do that but what I did do is sell it.

And I was being genuine when I said good luck.

Last edited by gilf; Jun 23rd 2005 at 12:30 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:33 am
Just Joined

....and one final thing.

The reason people from HPC come here and to many other forums is not to spread doom and gloom but because we have based our opinions on facts (yes facts), collected and collated from all sources including this one.

Your all more than welcome over on HPC anytime you like.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:34 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gilf
....and one final thing.

The reason people from HPC come here and to many other forums is not to spread doom and gloom but because we have based our opinions on facts (yes facts), collected and collated from all sources including this one.

so where abouts in australia are you headed?

oh and I've looked at the forum on HPC cutting and pasting from this thread and slagging off ring any bells??? yeah right we are very welcome
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:59 am
Just Joined

so where abouts in australia are you headed?

oh and I've looked at the forum on HPC cutting and pasting from this thread and slagging off ring any bells??? yeah right we are very welcome
Did you join the discussion? Put your point of view across? You will find if you can construct a decent argument people will be very responsive (and not in a negative way).

I agree that some of the views and posts on HPC are a like that, but there is also a huge amount of information on there.

I'm going to New Zeland but not for a few years yet.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Hi

Just to say I am still here still waiting for a buyer, fed up of people coming round!!!

the last one the agent sent hadn't even got their house on the market, so after spending all day cleaning for someone not in a positon to buy you can imagine how BLUE the air was.

Mind you house is clean now for a little while!!

Chris
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:16 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gilf
....and one final thing.

What a load of bo**ocks.....

Are you a troll?
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
What a load of bo**ocks.....

Are you a troll?
Why is it a load of bo**ocks.

The people on HPC take the time to research and study your and others opinions, I'll admit that it's a little bias at times but if your happy ignoring the mounting data that the housing market is heading downwards thats fine by me.

The fact is this thread is full of people going on about the fact they can't sell their house, this is a big enough sign. People with half a brain would take that as a sign to if nothing else arm themselves with the facts.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Hi

Just to say I am still here still waiting for a buyer, fed up of people coming round!!!

the last one the agent sent hadn't even got their house on the market, so after spending all day cleaning for someone not in a positon to buy you can imagine how BLUE the air was.

Mind you house is clean now for a little while!!

Chris
Hi Chris

Its a pain keeping it tidy, I let it slip friday night Col had gone out with his mates and was staying overnight at a friends. I thought sod it had a bottle of wine left the washing up place looked like a bomb had hit it then agent rang first thing in sat morning saying can a viewer come in 15 mins :scared:

I had to run round throwing things in cupboards out of site

Good luck with the sale
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

SiennaRowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Hi,

Just wanted to give a quick update. After having our house on the market for 12 weeks, we have accepted an offer!! The couple buying it have a cash buyer for their house, so (fingers crossed!) things are going smoothly.

We will be in Oz on the 6 th August!

So, to everyone out there trying to sell their homes, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck and keep your chins up!!

Adios!!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Seriously is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Paylia
Well said Tracey
We too have worked all our adult lives and have just retired having never had a days unemployment, nor drawn any state benefits, ever.
You are very lucky - many people face redundancy several times in their lives through no fault of their own. Young people now face a much more uncertain world in this age of technology, globalization and out-sourcing. Who now could hope for a livetime of full employment?
We have lived in this house for 29 years and it represents our life savings and not some unjustified nest-egg of which the trolls are so critical.
I think the trolls as you refer to them are simply making the point that the fact that your house is currently 'worth' x thousands means that a first-time buyer (average age 35 these days - in my days your kids would be nearly grown up by then) has to take on a huge mortgage - much bigger than the 2.5 times one salary and 1 (or even half) the other that we took on - and the prospects for the average young person these days of ever moving up to a 3 bed family house from a tiny studio flat must be remote - unless their salaries double. Young people taking on massive mortgages these days simply means the wealth moves up the chain. They take on a massive mortgage, the person above them takes on a massive mortgage etc and you, at the top of the chain, walk away with their borrowed money in your pockets. Can you tell me why you deserve to have their borrowed money? Can you tell me why you deserve a house that is now 'worth' many, many times what it cost when it was new? Our society is fragmenting - we have a birth rate of 1.6 because young people cannot afford to buy houses to have families in. My early 30s nieces and nephews have given up on the idea of ever being able to afford to have children. Some are talking about emigrating - so they won't be going into a lifetime of debt so the generation before can retire on their borrowings.
As most here are aware and sympathetic to we need some capital in order to purchase a home wherever we live - whether it be in this country - or in Oz as is our choice.
That capital, as I said above will come from a lifetime of someone else's mortgage slavery.
We are aware of the position of young first time buyers and how difficult it is for them - we have four of our own and three of them have managed to get on the bottom of the housing ladder. They share our work/reward based ethic and though it is tough for them at times they are in fact better placed than we were when we first started out.
Never heard such nonsense. My lads have no hope of getting on the ladder - a flat round here costs £180k - lots of people are earning peanuts - 20k is a good salary for a lot of people - its only a minority that earn the 40k you need (and a prtner working as well) to get on these days.
But the trolls will counter all this with further vitriolic and often vulgar innuendos.
Nobody wants to sell their house for less than it is "worth" - but it is worth different amounts to different people - that is a fact.
Indeed it is - it has no intrinsic worth - it is a market - it's worth what anyone will pay. We are now past the peak and property is no longer seen as a one way investment proposition. So buyers are few and far between and cautious. Better to drop your price now and get your property sold rather than always be 15k above a price it will sell at. Nothing worse than chasing the market down because you think it 'can't' go down any further. It can and will. In the last crash I followed the market down for 2 years before making a sale.
The posters on Housepricecrash. com seem to have a specific aim in view and that is to create or encourage a downward spiral in house prices. Anybody who disagrees with them gets slagged off for "being a greedy cow".
I suspect this means they are mainly struggling to get on the housing ladder themselves and as such are not really of much importance to those of us who are further up the ladder for whatever reason.
That comment is priceless. If young people are struggling to get on the ladder - and Buy To Let investors have left a market which is now falling (don't forget they replaced First Time Buyers priced out a few years ago) - those young people struggling are ALL IMPORTANT to you and the market. If they can't afford to buy, or won't buy until a more normal relationship emerges between salaries and house prices - the housing market is screwed. You need a FTB or buyer without a property to sell at the bottom of EVERY chain.
The fact that they get so upset about it all probably means that they would ultimately like to join us - which in itself is encouraging and probably means that the demand will continue in the foreseeable future despite them.
I realise that a lot of this is generalisation - but not more so than their comments about us - except my comments are general and not specific abuse at individuals which is inexcusable in a civilised society.
There you are, no abuse there I hope. Certainly none intended. You seem to have bought into the idea you have a right to walk away with a bundle of cash that other people have borrowed to pay for a pile of bricks and timber whose price has no relationship to its value.
Tracey - more K coming your way

Now wait for the eruption from the HPC.com "intelligentsia"
Oh, I have to add something here so 'Good luck!'
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Seriously
Oh, I have to add something here so 'Good luck!'
pizza anyone
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:20 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Our buyers sent their surveyor round yesterday for their mortgage offer.
He said he found no problems.
Can someone tell me if this is the only survey required because he was here less than 20 mins.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:23 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Can someone tell me if this is the only survey required because he was here less than 20 mins.
Depends - sometimes the buyers ask for a more detailed survey too, as the quick one is purely for the mortgage company.

Fingers crossed that's it though!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by pompeywill
HI when I sold my previous house the surveyor was only there for about 20 mins also. Didnt send anyone else. good luck hope everything comes back ok
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

pizza anyone
Yes please, and a cup of horlicks. this used to be such a lovely thread, snooozzzzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.