Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Jealous, The Negative & The Doubters

The Jealous, The Negative & The Doubters

Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Jealous, The Negative & The Doubters

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Fair comment, but unless you have a positive attitude to emigrating you will be dead in the water.
I maintain that positive ''something'' gets you everywhere in life. It's almost a non-brainer.

That is why, after a fashion, all things being equal, it will always trump negative thinking/action.

I don't mean you have to hope for the best all the time, or go around with a smile, althought that will get you places - you just have to rationalise things and solve them. It's like when you passed your first exam, or your driving test - you complete and move on. Next!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of

We only told our imediate families last sunday that we had our visas to go to Perth OZ, they were all stunned, my mum cried and said she knew that we had always had itchy feet!!! it hit home with us, our decision to leave scotland for a new life down under. they wished us well and told them that they still have to put up with us till may 08. LOL we have asked them not to say anything at the moment to friends or other family members at the moment as we want to do that nearer the time. we know exactly who will be full of negatives - but then thats family for you!!!

if you want it bad enough, you'll work at it to make sure things work out no matter what it is in life you want. never a truer saying said - you only get out of things what you are prepared to put in!!!
we say live your your dream go for it
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Beaches? Brisbane is on a river and there's only a man made beach. Have you thought about the Gold or Sunshine Coasts?
We don't wish to live directly on the coast, but close enough to access quickly and Brisbane is perfect for the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast whilst also a vibrant city with all that we want.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
i wish you all the best mate when you eventually land here for good.

i hope you dont mind just a little tip!

Whatever you do, do not go by your validating holiday as to how things will be when you eventually get here to live. Yes it might be for some perfect on the Holiday and exactly the same when they land for good but trust me mate theres a big diference here when its just a holiday!
I know where you're coming from and being brought up in Maryhill you kinda have to hit the ground running and be realistic! We have done our homework and know exactly where we're heading.

We appreciate that a holiday is different from everyday life and we are looking forward to the challenges ahead.

How are you getting on in Sydney? How is the work, housing etc?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

hi all, good views from everyone but has anyone found it hard being in oz when everyone we love and care about are back there.
We have been here excactly 2 years on the 6th of Dec and i have to say my house is far better than anything Id have in the Uk. My suburb is far better than anything I would have in the UK in fact most of what I have here is far better than I would have in the UK. We have a 6 month old son and his future I hope is far better than anything I could give him in the UK but at what price? If I had enough money then I could find the places in the UK to have the finer things in life the better schools etc but I havent, I do earn a good wage here in Perth W/A Im a plasterer but a large potion of my money goes on my mortgage which is high, far higher than the UK but I have a better house etc. The price I pay for all this is loneliness. It is so hard to meet people if your not into sport and I work alone and dont really do pubs not that theres many of them in the northern suburbs, so I dont get to meet many people and out of the ones I do meet as of yet I have not had that connection with. Im a young 40 year old and my wife 30 and we have been pulling our hair out wondering wether to go back for us or stay for my son so when people say the negative things about coming here I wish Id listened more because this is the hardest thing I have had to do.
Thanks,.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:39 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Its a British thing!

Is it any wonder that a country that was once the best in the world in industry etc ie. shipbuilding, cars, engineering, the Empire and all that is now being left behind with 'attitude' and a 'lack of ambition' big elements!
And a now ever increasing risk of bein shot / stabbed / beaten to death for 'dissin' someone you've inadvertently looked at.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monkeymark
hi all, good views from everyone but has anyone found it hard being in oz when everyone we love and care about are back there.
We have been here excactly 2 years on the 6th of Dec and i have to say my house is far better than anything Id have in the Uk. My suburb is far better than anything I would have in the UK in fact most of what I have here is far better than I would have in the UK. We have a 6 month old son and his future I hope is far better than anything I could give him in the UK but at what price? If I had enough money then I could find the places in the UK to have the finer things in life the better schools etc but I havent, I do earn a good wage here in Perth W/A Im a plasterer but a large potion of my money goes on my mortgage which is high, far higher than the UK but I have a better house etc. The price I pay for all this is loneliness. It is so hard to meet people if your not into sport and I work alone and dont really do pubs not that theres many of them in the northern suburbs, so I dont get to meet many people and out of the ones I do meet as of yet I have not had that connection with. Im a young 40 year old and my wife 30 and we have been pulling our hair out wondering wether to go back for us or stay for my son so when people say the negative things about coming here I wish Id listened more because this is the hardest thing I have had to do.
Thanks,.
Hang on in there Mark if only for the future of your son,and even if you do go back to the UK at least you've given it a go!

Best of luck
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:33 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it didnt come accross the wrong way mate when i mentioned the Holiday being different for every day life, i`m certain you know that only too well and appologise if it did sound a bit like that.

I dont want to say too much about the housing issue as i have already posted my views on that one elsewhere.

as for work mate, thats another story i wont go into.

All the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I know where you're coming from and being brought up in Maryhill you kinda have to hit the ground running and be realistic! We have done our homework and know exactly where we're heading.

We appreciate that a holiday is different from everyday life and we are looking forward to the challenges ahead.

How are you getting on in Sydney? How is the work, housing etc?