Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Jealous, The Negative & The Doubters

The Jealous, The Negative & The Doubters

Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Jealous, The Negative & The Doubters

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
We have no doubts! We have just returned from validating our visas and a good point was made to us that if Australia isn't for you, you will find a negative very quickly ie. something to cast doubts on emigrating! In the end everyone is their own individual and whats for some ain't for others.

Glad you mentioned the spiders, snakes etc as that is one that my mate keeps trotting out! Oh and the place is far too hot! (He's never been to Oz).

My parents are actually all for it and I actually get the impression that they are trying to get rid of me! My Dad says that he won't come over to visit us in Australia but he always used to say that he'd never go abroad and now goes at least 3 holidays per year although at most 4 hour flights to Tenerife max!
A negative though Go on admit it you must have had even one small, doubt about something to do with OZ at least once. Even if it is just "do I have to say g'day mate, strewth, she'll be right, stick another shrimp on the barbie all the time". Ok I was bored and playing *devils advocaat* as my Gran used to say bless her(never did correct her!). Good luck when you move permanently, hoping to be there by July at the latest but submitted in August so stuck in a big queue at present. We are hopefully heading for Brisbane as we have friends there. Strangely enough they keep saying how hot it gets there and the flies and the snakes and the spiders.......
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TMRE
A negative though Go on admit it you must have had even one small, doubt about something to do with OZ at least once. Even if it is just "do I have to say g'day mate, strewth, she'll be right, stick another shrimp on the barbie all the time". Ok I was bored and playing *devils advocaat* as my Gran used to say bless her(never did correct her!). Good luck when you move permanently, hoping to be there by July at the latest but submitted in August so stuck in a big queue at present. We are hopefully heading for Brisbane as we have friends there. Strangely enough they keep saying how hot it gets there and the flies and the snakes and the spiders.......
Only negative would be missing the football, although when we were over for our validation trip I saw all the games albeit at weird times and if that was a negative then the positive was the fact that I seemed to be more fervent in support of my team if that was at all possible!

Got our visa in April and wouldn't like to be starting out on the process, but hang on in there and it will come sooner rather than later. Ah the flies, we went to Dreamworld theme park on the Gold Coast and I seemed to get followed all day by one particular fly from the moment we got there till we left! Probably not the same fly although it seemed like it! Learned the 'Aussie Salute' that day ie. Swatting / swiping the flies away! :curse:
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:50 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I know this has been covered many times on BE but don't you just get pissed off with family, friends etc who instead of wishing you well troop out a whole load of negatives, are consumed with jealousy and love to doubt your move to Australia!?

Do these folk not realise that one of the reasons everyone wants to leave the UK is the fact that we have become a country that is negative and where we hate to see hard working people getting on and being successful!

I have lost count of the amount of folk who are stuck in their own wee comfort zone, who are afraid of change and are sadly lacking in ambition and most of all have no bottle to try things!

'You won't go', 'You'll not last', 'You will be homesick', 'The money won't be the same', 'The kids won't like it', Yadda yadda yadda! And all this from people who have never set foot in Australia and who have lived in the same square mile radius all their lives!

Here endeth my rant!

Get me back to Brisbane!
My response:
"Yes there are a lot of big negatives but.....

Leaving people like you behind outweighs them"

Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:00 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I know this has been covered many times on BE but don't you just get pissed off with family, friends etc who instead of wishing you well troop out a whole load of negatives, are consumed with jealousy and love to doubt your move to Australia!?

I never got pissed off with people's negative feelings....I'm too positive in my outlook
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
It never ceases to amaze me that some people seem to spout so many negatives about a place they have never been to, they really know very little about the place.
It is also amazing that people spout so many positives about a country that they may have never been to and never lived in.

It works both ways.

G
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Only negative would be missing the football, although when we were over for our validation trip I saw all the games albeit at weird times and if that was a negative then the positive was the fact that I seemed to be more fervent in support of my team if that was at all possible!

Got our visa in April and wouldn't like to be starting out on the process, but hang on in there and it will come sooner rather than later. Ah the flies, we went to Dreamworld theme park on the Gold Coast and I seemed to get followed all day by one particular fly from the moment we got there till we left! Probably not the same fly although it seemed like it! Learned the 'Aussie Salute' that day ie. Swatting / swiping the flies away! :curse:
Football I won't miss that. OH drove us from Maine to Toronto a couple of years ago. He forgot to mention that Liverpool were playing a match there though. Thought he was doing it because I wanted to go there. Will keep an eye out for you when we move as Brisbane is only a tiny place and you being from Scotland so ginger, with freckles and a silly accent, should be easy to spot!..I'm only kidding (uncle is Scottish) before you shoot me!
Tam
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It is also amazing that people spout so many positives about a country that they may have never been to and never lived in.

It works both ways.

G
Fair comment, but unless you have a positive attitude to emigrating you will be dead in the water.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TMRE
Football I won't miss that. OH drove us from Maine to Toronto a couple of years ago. He forgot to mention that Liverpool were playing a match there though. Thought he was doing it because I wanted to go there. Will keep an eye out for you when we move as Brisbane is only a tiny place and you being from Scotland so ginger, with freckles and a silly accent, should be easy to spot!..I'm only kidding (uncle is Scottish) before you shoot me!
Tam
You will spot me Tam, two of my sons match the 'identikit' 100% whilst my flowing locks have long since gone!

Lone Ranger
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

I thinks there's a difference though in having a positive attitude to emigrating rather than thinking OZ is all positive. It's not perfect over here (mainly employment wise) but I reckon it's more perfect than the UK.
Most aussies you meet (and expats) agree that this is a lovely country to live in, it's rare to hear an aussie slagging off Australia. Can you say the same about british people in the UK?
I beleive that negativity breeds more negativity so in the end everyone ends up negative and downtrodden. I don't think the UK is such a bad place but it is full of negative people who constantly moan about the weather, immigrants etc etc
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
I thinks there's a difference though in having a positive attitude to emigrating rather than thinking OZ is all positive. It's not perfect over here (mainly employment wise) but I reckon it's more perfect than the UK.
Most aussies you meet (and expats) agree that this is a lovely country to live in, it's rare to hear an aussie slagging off Australia. Can you say the same about british people in the UK?
I beleive that negativity breeds more negativity so in the end everyone ends up negative and downtrodden. I don't think the UK is such a bad place but it is full of negative people who constantly moan about the weather, immigrants etc etc
Spot on mate! We are not looking at Oz with rose tinted specs and we live quite a decent life in the UK, however, its the quality of life that is important and the bigger picture!

The UK is changing rapidly and not for the better, I have had a happy life but this place ain't the same anymore!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on mate! We are not looking at Oz with rose tinted specs and we live quite a decent life in the UK, however, its the quality of life that is important and the bigger picture!

The UK is changing rapidly and not for the better, I have had a happy life but this place ain't the same anymore!
Just don't get mixed up with Quality of life compared to Quantity of life. Chances are the Quantity will be less here but the Quality could be more

BTW Why Brisbane?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Just don't get mixed up with Quality of life compared to Quantity of life. Chances are the Quantity will be less here but the Quality could be more

BTW Why Brisbane?
Why not?

The climate, good beaches, good city etc
Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:10 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

i wish you all the best mate when you eventually land here for good.

i hope you dont mind just a little tip!

Whatever you do, do not go by your validating holiday as to how things will be when you eventually get here to live. Yes it might be for some perfect on the Holiday and exactly the same when they land for good but trust me mate theres a big diference here when its just a holiday!

We have no doubts! We have just returned from validating our visas and a good point was made to us that if Australia isn't for you, you will find a negative very quickly ie. something to cast doubts on emigrating! In the end everyone is their own individual and whats for some ain't for others.

Glad you mentioned the spiders, snakes etc as that is one that my mate keeps trotting out! Oh and the place is far too hot! (He's never been to Oz).

My parents are actually all for it and I actually get the impression that they are trying to get rid of me! My Dad says that he won't come over to visit us in Australia but he always used to say that he'd never go abroad and now goes at least 3 holidays per year although at most 4 hour flights to Tenerife max!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Why not?

The climate, good beaches, good city etc
Beaches? Brisbane is on a river and there's only a man made beach. Have you thought about the Gold or Sunshine Coasts?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably as they have already validated they are aware that Brissie doesn't have the beaches but they are only an hour's drive away, not a biggy.

OP came on for a maon about the response they are getting from family and friends. They don't need more of the same from people they don't know. They just wanted to offload. Have none of you guys done the same?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.