Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Jealous, The Negative & The Doubters

The Jealous, The Negative & The Doubters

Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default The Jealous, The Negative & The Doubters

I know this has been covered many times on BE but don't you just get pissed off with family, friends etc who instead of wishing you well troop out a whole load of negatives, are consumed with jealousy and love to doubt your move to Australia!?

Do these folk not realise that one of the reasons everyone wants to leave the UK is the fact that we have become a country that is negative and where we hate to see hard working people getting on and being successful!

I have lost count of the amount of folk who are stuck in their own wee comfort zone, who are afraid of change and are sadly lacking in ambition and most of all have no bottle to try things!

'You won't go', 'You'll not last', 'You will be homesick', 'The money won't be the same', 'The kids won't like it', Yadda yadda yadda! And all this from people who have never set foot in Australia and who have lived in the same square mile radius all their lives!

Here endeth my rant!

Get me back to Brisbane!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:50 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Jealous, The Negative & The Doubters

Equally a few people would probably do well to remember that not everyone wants to hear about your great plans to move to Australia and your dreams of leaving them, realistically never to be seen again.

I look back on our migration and think that sometimes my enthusiasm was probably more irritating than peoples comments in return.

Some people enjoy and love extended family life, the comfort zone etc. And thats OK.

I think the two attitudes are quite extreme opposites but neither is wrong.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I know this has been covered many times on BE but don't you just get pissed off with family, friends etc who instead of wishing you well troop out a whole load of negatives, are consumed with jealousy and love to doubt your move to Australia!?

Do these folk not realise that one of the reasons everyone wants to leave the UK is the fact that we have become a country that is negative and where we hate to see hard working people getting on and being successful!

I have lost count of the amount of folk who are stuck in their own wee comfort zone, who are afraid of change and are sadly lacking in ambition and most of all have no bottle to try things!

'You won't go', 'You'll not last', 'You will be homesick', 'The money won't be the same', 'The kids won't like it', Yadda yadda yadda! And all this from people who have never set foot in Australia and who have lived in the same square mile radius all their lives!

Here endeth my rant!

Get me back to Brisbane!
Not really, beginning to realise I should be grown up enough to see it from their point of view as well. I take it you have never given a negative comment to anybody ever? If so well done you are a better person than me
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
Equally a few people would probably do well to remember that not everyone wants to hear about your great plans to move to Australia and your dreams of leaving them, realistically never to be seen again.

I look back on our migration and think that sometimes my enthusiasm was probably more irritating than peoples comments in return.

Some people enjoy and love extended family life, the comfort zone etc. And thats OK.

I think the two attitudes are quite extreme opposites but neither is wrong.
I know that neither attitude can be deemed wrong and believe me we are not always going on about emigrating in fact its probably quite the opposite. I have always had a bit of 'get up and go' and want to give my kids the best start in life and opportunities that we can.

If anybody tells me of new ventures, plans or ambitions I always wish them well and say 'Good on you, go for it'!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:12 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I know that neither attitude can be deemed wrong and believe me we are not always going on about emigrating in fact its probably quite the opposite. I have always had a bit of 'get up and go' and want to give my kids the best start in life and opportunities that we can.

If anybody tells me of new ventures, plans or ambitions I always wish them well and say 'Good on you, go for it'!
good on you, go for it

lee
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TMRE
Not really, beginning to realise I should be grown up enough to see it from their point of view as well. I take it you have never given a negative comment to anybody ever? If so well done you are a better person than me
Of course I have given my share of negatives over the years and this stems from being brought up in that kind of environment, however, I do love to see people doing well and think that if you work hard you should get the rewards.

This thread is not meant to be negative, it is merely a sense of frustration that nearing the end of a long road ie. Visa Application etc it seems that a lot of people keep trying to pull you back and I know that it is normally folk who care a lot about you and for selfish reasons they don't want you to go.

I am no better than the next person and although I will miss a lot of people I am looking forward to our move to Australia in June.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
good on you, go for it

lee
Thanks Lee
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Here endeth my rant!

Get me back to Brisbane!
You are spot on. It never ceases to amaze me that some people seem to spout so many negatives about a place they have never been to, they really know very little about the place. I don't think it is jealousy, I think they are just expressing the negative way that they would approach it.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You are spot on. It never ceases to amaze me that some people seem to spout so many negatives about a place they have never been to, they really know very little about the place. I don't think it is jealousy, I think they are just expressing the negative way that they would approach it.
Its a British thing!

Is it any wonder that a country that was once the best in the world in industry etc ie. shipbuilding, cars, engineering, the Empire and all that is now being left behind with 'attitude' and a 'lack of ambition' big elements!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:50 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Here endeth my rant!

Get me back to Brisbane!
When we left blighty a few years ago we carried an address book around with us and got friends,family and work colleagues to add their name,address and number etc so that we could contact them once we were settled.

Then 1st christmas came and $120 of cards were duly sent.....this year we just sent 4 cards.

It's amazing how "best friends" don't know the dialing code for Australia..but then again..do i care..no
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Of course I have given my share of negatives over the years and this stems from being brought up in that kind of environment, however, I do love to see people doing well and think that if you work hard you should get the rewards.

This thread is not meant to be negative, it is merely a sense of frustration that nearing the end of a long road ie. Visa Application etc it seems that a lot of people keep trying to pull you back and I know that it is normally folk who care a lot about you and for selfish reasons they don't want you to go.

I am no better than the next person and although I will miss a lot of people I am looking forward to our move to Australia in June.
Your original post didn't give that impression

My dad was all for it in the beginning, he now keeps saying "are you sure, it's a long way, the girls will miss their friends, snakes, spiders, no jobs, rising prices etc". It's his way of coping I suppose and frankly I would be worried if he wasn't saying it. Doesn't mean he is a bitter, twisted, selfish, layabout though. Surly you must have had some doubts about going to the other side of the world occasionally though? I think it's human nature to think about and give negative and positive comments, they may just say something you haven't thought about and be glad they did.... So thanks to my mate Tina who said " yeah your telly will work in OZ as it picks up Neighbours OK now
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TMRE
Your original post didn't give that impression

My dad was all for it in the beginning, he now keeps saying "are you sure, it's a long way, the girls will miss their friends, snakes, spiders, no jobs, rising prices etc". It's his way of coping I suppose and frankly I would be worried if he wasn't saying it. Doesn't mean he is a bitter, twisted, selfish, layabout though. Surly you must have had some doubts about going to the other side of the world occasionally though? I think it's human nature to think about and give negative and positive comments, they may just say something you haven't thought about and be glad they did.... So thanks to my mate Tina who said " yeah your telly will work in OZ as it picks up Neighbours OK now
We have no doubts! We have just returned from validating our visas and a good point was made to us that if Australia isn't for you, you will find a negative very quickly ie. something to cast doubts on emigrating! In the end everyone is their own individual and whats for some ain't for others.

Glad you mentioned the spiders, snakes etc as that is one that my mate keeps trotting out! Oh and the place is far too hot! (He's never been to Oz).

My parents are actually all for it and I actually get the impression that they are trying to get rid of me! My Dad says that he won't come over to visit us in Australia but he always used to say that he'd never go abroad and now goes at least 3 holidays per year although at most 4 hour flights to Tenerife max!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
When we left blighty a few years ago we carried an address book around with us and got friends,family and work colleagues to add their name,address and number etc so that we could contact them once we were settled.

Then 1st christmas came and $120 of cards were duly sent.....this year we just sent 4 cards.

It's amazing how "best friends" don't know the dialing code for Australia..but then again..do i care..no
You are doing something that they are not and they don't wish to call you to find out you are doing okay!

The time difference also stops a lot of folk phoning and I think gradually they forget about you. Routine I think it is they call it?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

I would agree that allot of people give negative comments. We are only at the start of our long journey and already we are getting the comments however I don't think its out of jealousy Honestly, the way I would look at it like this (in the words of Bono):

an american sees a guy driving a bucatti or a 9 11 porsche and says one day Im going have a car like him

an irish or english person says That ****** Im going get him ......

Begrudgering mentality
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

suttons will become famous soon enoughsuttons will become famous soon enough

I absolutely agree with everything you said in the first post and it has nothing to do with going on about emigrating all the time, we barely mention it, family have been great and wished us well and said they dont blame us for doing it at all. But friends mainly have spouted the usual: the crime is just as bad, they have gangs as well, spiders, wages aren't as good etc etc, baring in mind this is from some of them that have never been there before and the most common one "ooohh i couldnt do it, i couldnt leave my family" which makes me feel guilty because i am leaving a big family behind, but i also believe my three children are my family and i have to do whats best for them and i truly believe that the life in Oz will be better for them than it is here, and that is only my opinion which i am entitled to as is anyone else, no one is right or wrong, you do whats right for you !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.