Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:13 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future
Default Re: Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Originally Posted by CosmicBertie
Technically, you are dialling up. The dongle is much like a cut down mobile phone. It connects to the Vodaphone mobile network and makes a data call. You dont need a username/password because its all done via the SIM card in exactly the same way your mobile does.

The bandwidth is unique to your donlge, the connection is pretty much secure, someone would need a mobile phone scanner, and then do some funky hacking to utilise it.

Basically, think of the dongle as a mobile phone and you're about there.
Actually not really, it not dialling up at all or making a data call and this hasn't really been the way things were done since the basic GSM days. 3G and 2.5G Edge/GPRS networks have data connections, basically all you do is use the data connection lots here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G .. its more like you DSL router...
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:04 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Originally Posted by GarryP
That modem/router seems to be rare now; because so many people threw it at the wall. An unmitigated pile of ..... was the polite description. I can't see any reference to ADSL2+ capability either.

I'd also say that Billion 5200G at $119.00 is way overpriced for a generic modem/router. Can't you get someone in the UK to send you a Christmas pressie of something like :

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/156834

All the Billion has, plus VOIP ports, for $63

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/156834

Zoom X6v Wireless-G+ ADSL Modem Router with Integrated VoIP

Shall be gettin meself one of these cheapo deals for my return to Oz!!

Keith