Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Old Dec 12th 2009, 5:55 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future
Default Re: Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Ummmmmm............?

So Naked does use the incoming telephone line to feed the internet into your home, i thought it did. You just do not subscribe to a landline telephone package. So in essence; the internet feeds through the telephone line, but you do not have a landline telephone, so no Telstra cost.

So it looks like we are fine there then, the modem i have is a tad archaic i know, but if it works it works, but no free telephone calls over the net?

I will look into the options, decide what to do, consult the boss, then do what she decides?

Keith
Yup thats it...

If your modem is only ADSL it may be worth going adsl 2+.... You can get free phone calls across the net with it you just need the right hardware or software as it doesn't do the voip/ata inside...
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:02 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
That looks pretty good actually.... I dont suppose you know if it can handle two different voip providers at once do you ?

If it can you've saved me close to 100 bucks !

I can live with 125 mbps wireless speed
IIRC the answer is yes, up to four accounts. Not got it myself though, so don't know how well it works. Basically its just a bog standard ADSL modem 802.11g router with addition VOIP bits. That puts it one up on the Billion.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
IIRC the answer is yes, up to four accounts. Not got it myself though, so don't know how well it works. Basically its just a bog standard ADSL modem 802.11g router with addition VOIP bits. That puts it one up on the Billion.
Thats strange, AFAIK according to Whirlpool forums here, the Billion 7404 onwards is the only modem that can handle two seperate voip providers at once. IE: IInet and Pennytel.... not four with the same provider. That and 3g connectivity is the reason the Billion 7404 was Modem of the year at Personal computing in 2008.

My IInet supplied belkin can handle four accounts with IInet. But not seperate providers at the same time.

I looked fairly hard for that information re seperate voip providers on the Zoom, to no avail.... could you point me at it please ?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:09 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Thats strange, AFAIK according to Whirlpool forums here, the Billion 7404 onwards is the only modem that can handle two seperate voip providers at once. IE: IInet and Pennytel.... not four with the same provider. That and 3g connectivity is the reason the Billion 7404 was Modem of the year at Personal computing in 2008.

My IInet supplied belkin can handle four accounts with IInet. But not seperate providers at the same time.

I looked fairly hard for that information re seperate voip providers on the Zoom, to no avail.... could you point me at it please ?
Here's the PDF of the manual
http://www.retrevo.com/support/Zoom-...3197bh450/t/2/

See if you can work out if it can do what you are after.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the PDF of the manual
http://www.retrevo.com/support/Zoom-...3197bh450/t/2/

See if you can work out if it can do what you are after.

Thanks for that, I've had a look and have to find a manual with Advanced voip settings in it.

So I'll keep looking... many thanks for the tip though.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:50 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silver
Yup thats it...

If your modem is only ADSL it may be worth going adsl 2+.... You can get free phone calls across the net with it you just need the right hardware or software as it doesn't do the voip/ata inside...

So whats the difference between ADSL and ADSL2+?

If i get a ADSL2+? modem,can you plug in a conventional telephone into a port, so in essence does a ADSL2+ modem carry a telephone port for use with Voip?

Its just if that is the case then i will get one, i have a cordless phone from the UK, so i will have landline Voip for incoming calls from the rellies?

Its great at the mo, they will not call a mobile, too expensive, so only talk when i want to!!!!!!!! Pennysim 8 Cents for an unlimited call length to a UK landline!

Is it hard to configure a landline phone to a ADSL2+ modem for use, is there any software requirements on the PC?

Cheers Keith
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So whats the difference between ADSL and ADSL2+?

If i get a ADSL2+? modem,can you plug in a conventional telephone into a port, so in essence does a ADSL2+ modem carry a telephone port for use with Voip?

Its just if that is the case then i will get one, i have a cordless phone from the UK, so i will have landline Voip for incoming calls from the rellies?

Its great at the mo, they will not call a mobile, too expensive, so only talk when i want to!!!!!!!! Pennysim 8 Cents for an unlimited call length to a UK landline!

Is it hard to configure a landline phone to a ADSL2+ modem for use, is there any software requirements on the PC?

Cheers Keith

ADSL is only up to 8Mbps and ADSL+2 is up to 24 Mbps so ADSL2 + is a lot faster.

All you do to plug in the Phone is stick it in the Voip port, there is no problems with the hardware at all.

With the software, you have to enter your Voip providers address at the appropriate point in the set up.... It is fairly easy, but I will admit it does look daunting the first time you try it. You enter this address to the Modem actually via your PC.

You just have to find the entry point for Sip Settings.... then in goes your providers address and your voip password.... very similar to Internet set up.

Although with Pennytel on my IInet Belkin modem I have problems with the voice codecs which wont let me enter Keypad tones to 13 and 1300 numbers. I have to use a different modem to sort this... however it's not as big a problem as it seems as Mobile calls to 13 and 1300 numbers are exactly the same price as Voip calls as the 13 numbers are geared to make a profit for the company concerned.

I'll tell you what is bleeding difficult... took me 3 days to get it working... setting up a softphone on Xandros (Asus eeePC Notebook) Well it was for me, as I knew f.. all about Linux before I started the process LOL.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 14th 2009 at 4:03 am.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:19 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Cheers Keith
Everything as ozzie said but ADSL 2+ doesn't mean you get VOIP you have to buy a router with VOIP built in (to use a normal phone). Or a voip phone...
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:26 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Everything as ozzie said but ADSL 2+ doesn't mean you get VOIP you have to buy a router with VOIP built in (to use a normal phone). Or a voip phone...

ADSL is only up to 8Mbps and ADSL+2 is up to 24 Mbps so ADSL2 + is a lot faster.

All you do to plug in the Phone is stick it in the Voip port, there is no problems with the hardware at all.

With the software, you have to enter your Voip providers address at the appropriate point in the set up.... It is fairly easy, but I will admit it does look daunting the first time you try it. You enter this address to the Modem actually via your PC.

You just have to find the entry point for Sip Settings.... then in goes your providers address and your voip password.... very similar to Internet set up.

Although with Pennytel on my IInet Belkin modem I have problems with the voice codecs which wont let me enter Keypad tones to 13 and 1300 numbers. I have to use a different modem to sort this... however it's not as big a problem as it seems as Mobile calls to 13 and 1300 numbers are exactly the same price as Voip calls as the 13 numbers are geared to make a profit for the company concerned.

I'll tell you what is bleeding difficult... took me 3 days to get it working... setting up a softphone on Xandros (Asus eeePC Notebook) Well it was for me, as I knew f.. all about Linux before I started the process LOL.

Gents thanks........!

So, what is needed here then is ADSL+2, but i need to purchase a new modem, which has a (#)number of ports/so routes round the house, with built in Voip, so i can plug in a normal lanline phone to utilize Voip!

Any recommendations as to which and where to purchase? I am not on ebay OZ, i have a UK account though!

Cheers Keith
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gents thanks........!

So, what is needed here then is ADSL+2, but i need to purchase a new modem, which has a (#)number of ports/so routes round the house, with built in Voip, so i can plug in a normal lanline phone to utilize Voip!

Any recommendations as to which and where to purchase? I am not on ebay OZ, i have a UK account though!

Cheers Keith
I'm fairly sure you can bid with your UK account ?

If your going with IInet, I would suggest a old IInet Belkin modem simply because as your new to ADSL here you will get support from IInet. They are pretty good actually cos if you ask them they will phone you back on your mobile. So if you get stuck they will advise you step by step.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:33 am
Banned

I'm fairly sure you can bid with your UK account ?

If your going with IInet, I would suggest a old IInet Belkin modem simply because as your new to ADSL here you will get support from IInet. They are pretty good actually cos if you ask them they will phone you back on your mobile. So if you get stuck they will advise you step by step.
Cheers Oz,

Pennysim 13, and 1300 numbers are 25 cents untimed, not bad hey? All other calls to Oz lanlines are 8 cents untimed.

Keith
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:18 am
In melbourne

When they switched me over to IInet they definitely did something out in the "hole in the pavement" Took 3 days to connect me up as well.... so no line for 3 days.

I thought they were just going to do something at the exchange... I'd say they switched lines at street level for some reason.
Really depends on the configuration between your property and the exchange in most cases it is just a changes from a telstra dslam to unbundled dslam at the exchange.. but then there can be what the call pair gain systems in the way so if you are on what they call a RIM or CMUX they may have to bypass this and connect you back to the exchange among many other reasons why they may have had to do things....
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:21 am
In melbourne

Gents thanks........!

Cheers Keith
http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/F...7270/index.php is the one I like the look of... its got DECT/VOIP integration... not tried it and it is kind of expensive but it looks cool...
Old Dec 14th 2009, 10:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/F...7270/index.php is the one I like the look of... its got DECT/VOIP integration... not tried it and it is kind of expensive but it looks cool...
Its 'orribly expensive for what it is. If you know you need it, then it can be worthwhile, but otherwise....its like buying a Ferrari to go to the shops.

Keith (and any other newbie), a few pointers.

ADSL 2+ is the new improved version of ADSL, faster speeds etc. - and in general is the one you want provided you can actually see the speed where you are. Most modern ADSL units do it anyway, but not your old Tiscali.

ADSL uses the phone line for the communications, splitting off higher frequencies to carry the signal. That's why you have to put filters on the line to POTS phones, otherwise the high frequencies get through and b*gger things up.

VOIP is just another form of data that goes over the broadband net connection - only this time its phone calls. The provider at the other end gives you a number so that people can call you, converting their call into data and squirting down to your VOIP capable box. It then converts it back to phone type signals and puts it out of a port on the back of your box. You plug in your phone, for instance a DECT basestation, and everything looks and works as before. You dialling out is just the reverse of this, and the cost the VOIP provider charges is usually where they make their money. However since its just data squirted over the network, you usually find that phoning international is cheap with such systems. Be aware though, the voice data will count against your cap in Aus.

Some VOIP systems give you another port so that you can plug a plain old normal line into the box. That's so that calls to/from this conventional line can be integrated with the VOIP calls, and so that if the power falls over you still have an emergency line. Most people don't bother with such things unless the line is hanging around for free.

Some people are interested in signing up to two VOIP providers at once (eg IINET & Pennytel or Aus and UK providers). It then becomes a bit more techie since you need a VOIP box that can do this (hence the discussion above) and most can't.

Routers generally give you 4 wired ports and a Wifi connection. Personally I prefer the wired ports, but many never bother using them. Wifi comes in two flavours 'g' and 'n'. N is the newest, fastest and furthest - but to really get the best out of it you need 'n' at both ends, and many people only have 'g' on laptops. Therefore I tend to consider it a nice-to-have. The other thing to bear in mind, if you only get 8Mb rate out of your ADSL connection, and 'g' wifi will do 54Mb, do you really need 'n's 300Mb top rate?

As far as prices are concerned, in the UK you can pick up a bog standard ADSL/Wifi 'g'/VOIP box (the Zoom I referenced above) for ~£35 / A$63 and the all singing/all dancing Fritzbox for £148 / A$266. As I understand, the prices in Aus are considerably higher.

Personally I'm intending to implement an Asterisk PBX with a separate VOIP box and router - but that REALLY gets into techie territory......
Old Dec 14th 2009, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its 'orribly expensive for what it is. If you know you need it, then it can be worthwhile, but otherwise....its like buying a Ferrari to go to the shops.

Keith (and any other newbie), a few pointers.

ADSL 2+ is the new improved version of ADSL, faster speeds etc. - and in general is the one you want provided you can actually see the speed where you are. Most modern ADSL units do it anyway, but not your old Tiscali.

ADSL uses the phone line for the communications, splitting off higher frequencies to carry the signal. That's why you have to put filters on the line to POTS phones, otherwise the high frequencies get through and b*gger things up.

VOIP is just another form of data that goes over the broadband net connection - only this time its phone calls. The provider at the other end gives you a number so that people can call you, converting their call into data and squirting down to your VOIP capable box. It then converts it back to phone type signals and puts it out of a port on the back of your box. You plug in your phone, for instance a DECT basestation, and everything looks and works as before. You dialling out is just the reverse of this, and the cost the VOIP provider charges is usually where they make their money. However since its just data squirted over the network, you usually find that phoning international is cheap with such systems. Be aware though, the voice data will count against your cap in Aus.

Some VOIP systems give you another port so that you can plug a plain old normal line into the box. That's so that calls to/from this conventional line can be integrated with the VOIP calls, and so that if the power falls over you still have an emergency line. Most people don't bother with such things unless the line is hanging around for free.

Some people are interested in signing up to two VOIP providers at once (eg IINET & Pennytel or Aus and UK providers). It then becomes a bit more techie since you need a VOIP box that can do this (hence the discussion above) and most can't.

Routers generally give you 4 wired ports and a Wifi connection. Personally I prefer the wired ports, but many never bother using them. Wifi comes in two flavours 'g' and 'n'. N is the newest, fastest and furthest - but to really get the best out of it you need 'n' at both ends, and many people only have 'g' on laptops. Therefore I tend to consider it a nice-to-have. The other thing to bear in mind, if you only get 8Mb rate out of your ADSL connection, and 'g' wifi will do 54Mb, do you really need 'n's 300Mb top rate?

As far as prices are concerned, in the UK you can pick up a bog standard ADSL/Wifi 'g'/VOIP box (the Zoom I referenced above) for ~£35 / A$63 and the all singing/all dancing Fritzbox for £148 / A$266. As I understand, the prices in Aus are considerably higher.

Personally I'm intending to implement an Asterisk PBX with a separate VOIP box and router - but that REALLY gets into techie territory......
That Zoom box is preconfigured to send you to Globalvillage voip.... whatever that is... and the only way to get into the advanced settings is to get the CD that comes with it as it's not in the manual.

Thats the way I read the manual anyway.

So Until I know exactly how to change the Voip settings on it, I wouldnt touch it. It says it easy to set up... but express setting never let you touch Sip settings on Modems.

It should be easy... but I personally dont know... on that basis I wouldnt buy it.

A 2nd hand belkin in Aus will cost around the same after you add postage for Xoom plus very importantly you get IInet support. It does look like a better modem than the Belkin I will give it that. In fact If I had one here I would probably be using it, however buying it on the off chance it is difficult to set up another account has made me wary.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 14th 2009 at 10:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.