Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
That Zoom box is preconfigured to send you to Globalvillage voip.... whatever that is... and the only way to get into the advanced settings is to get the CD that comes with it as it's not in the manual.

Thats the way I read the manual anyway.

So Until I know exactly how to change the Voip settings on it, I wouldnt touch it. It says it easy to set up... but express setting never let you touch Sip settings on Modems.
There are two versions of the same modem, 95 and 97. The only difference is one is set up to globalvillage by default, and the other isn't. AFAIK since globalvillage is a US service, the one eBuyer sell is the one without the default.

Anyway, its seems as if setting up different alternatives is easy, just read the reviews for references.

BTW, I've now looked through the Technical Reference manual and it does do 4 separate providers:

The VoIP Providers Parameters configure the user account access for up to four providers.
followed by reference to separate "SIP Server", "Proxy" etc. for the four accounts.

This area is partitioned off as 'admin' as opposed to 'user', which is not uncommon since it gets very techie. To access this area, all you need is the password, which can be found at :
http://zoom.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/zoo...p?p_faqid=1010

I suppose in theory there might be versions where this password is locked to a different value by a provider that supplies the modem with a service, but I don't think this is the case in the eBuyer instance.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
There are two versions of the same modem, 95 and 97. The only difference is one is set up to globalvillage by default, and the other isn't. AFAIK since globalvillage is a US service, the one eBuyer sell is the one without the default.

Anyway, its seems as if setting up different alternatives is easy, just read the reviews for references.

BTW, I've now looked through the Technical Reference manual and it does do 4 separate providers:

followed by reference to separate "SIP Server", "Proxy" etc. for the four accounts.

This area is partitioned off as 'admin' as opposed to 'user', which is not uncommon since it gets very techie. To access this area, all you need is the password, which can be found at :
http://zoom.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/zoo...p?p_faqid=1010

I suppose in theory there might be versions where this password is locked to a different value by a provider that supplies the modem with a service, but I don't think this is the case in the eBuyer instance.
Wow that is good.

I looked through a totally different manual to that one. So I must have gotten a pointer to a American URL ?

It's now on my purchase list. Many thanks for your time and trouble on this I appreciate it.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 10:07 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Wow that is good.

I looked through a totally different manual to that one. So I must have gotten a pointer to a American URL ?

It's now on my purchase list. Many thanks for your time and trouble on this I appreciate it.
Looking at the ref number and the model number I think this is the 'comes with account' version - but I don't think it matters since its not locked, there is a review of someone changing the provider details, and with that admin password you can setup virtually all the necessary details as far as I can see. I think the confusion is just bad manuals by zoom, trying to hide the admin mode from the great unwashed.

I might just get one as a backup myself.....

Last edited by GarryP; Dec 14th 2009 at 10:10 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:27 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Gents cheers,

The tech stuff don't care me, i just need to understand how anything in life works prior to using it, with exceptions women, not a chance there!

I will read on, and ask advice at all times!

Keith!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:16 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Two questions;

1) Are there any providers of broadband who allow you to pay monthly via standing charge or BPay, i do not want to set up a direct debit facility.

2) I can bid for items on Ebay.au using my UK account, so pay via Paypal using my UK Paypal account i think. I have taken a look at Wireless ADSL Modem Routers on Ebay Australia, these are the results.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_trkp...&_sop=15&_sc=1

Any recommendations? Best option?

Keith
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the ref number and the model number I think this is the 'comes with account' version - but I don't think it matters since its not locked, there is a review of someone changing the provider details, and with that admin password you can setup virtually all the necessary details as far as I can see. I think the confusion is just bad manuals by zoom, trying to hide the admin mode from the great unwashed.

I might just get one as a backup myself.....
I'll see if my Dodgiest MKeynes based Cousin can end up with one in his Lock up.

Still only 34 quid... so probably just take the plunge.... one the Apost strike is settled .
Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:57 am
Banned

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/ull_pricing.php

Any thoughts?

http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index.php?page=rta1046vw $169.95

Keith

P.S. How do i find out what the telephone number is on my shed? Its a Telstra line, we are not connected.

Speeds will be ok? See below;

I am starting to understand this setup now, some usefull info;

VoIP Service with Naked ADSL2+ – Making and Receiving Calls

2.1 Can I keep my existing phone number?
No. Once Naked ADSL2+ with VoIP has been installed, the phone line becomes a data only line. You will loose dial tone and your current phone number will be disconnected automatically. The phone number will be eventually released back to your phone provider and assigned to another customer. If customers have any contractual obligations with their phone provider, customers must ring them and close the account.

2.2 Instead of being assigned a new DID phone number, can I bring my current phone number across?
Unfortunately at this stage you cannot transfer your current number. TPG will assign a new phone number upon registration.

2.3 Can I choose my new phone number?
Unfortunately at this stage you cannot choose your new number. TPG will assign a new phone number upon registration.

2.4 When will I receive my new number and when can I start using my VoIP service?
Once payment has been taken for your plan, you will be assigned a new DID phone number. Once your Naked ADSL2+ service is active you will need to first ensure that your router is configured for internet and VoIP connectivity. You should then be able to use your VoIP service.

2.5 Will speed throttling affect VoIP Call quality?
While the voice quality should not change, if the connection is under heavy load there may be a decrease in quality.

2.6 How does the sound quality compare to a traditional phone call?
Under normal circumstances the sound quality is comparable to standard (PSTN) telephone services. VoIP call quality can be affected by the quality and speed of the customer's ADSL connection. Disturbances to the customer's ADSL service can affect the quality of the VoIP service or prevent it from operating. Please keep in mind that if you are running several programs that are using a high bandwidth, your call quality may be compromised.

2.7 Is your network based locally or overseas, and what effect will this have on end-users?
Our VoIP network is based locally which allows for great voice quality due to low latency.

2.8 Do you own or lease the network infrastructure, and what effect will this have on end-users?
TPG completely owns both the Naked ADSL2+ and VoIP networks, which allows us to offer a high quality of service to our customers.

2.9 How much does it cost to make calls?
TPG's VoIP call rates are extremely competitive, making TPG VoIP a low cost high quality service. Please visit our website for a complete list of call rates, by destination.

2.10 Will making calls affect my broadband usage limits?
When using VoIP over your broadband connection, the VoIP router is sending your voice call as data over the Internet. TPG will count this towards your monthly usage quota. As a rough rule of thumb, using VoIP consumes 0.6 Megabyte of your usage quota for every 10 minutes of conversation, assuming Standard (G729) voice compression. As the average household consumes between 1000 to 2000 minutes of phone usage per month, this would equate to approximately 60 to 120 Megabytes of usage quota.

Attached Thumbnails Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?-new-picture.bmp  

Last edited by Keith Moon; Dec 16th 2009 at 5:23 am.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

TPG dont have quite as good customer service as IInet, but other than that they are rated highly.

Better and cheaper plans by the looks.... I dont think they count uploads ?

Yes just checked doesnt count uploads, making it a far better proposition than IInet... Unreal !!!

Their shaping speeds are far better than IInets as well @ 512ks..... which some people still call broadband.

Yes I would go with them for sure.

They only announced Naked in February of this year.... I'm fairly sure I had a brief look when I changed back to IInet and they were not available in my area. I think I will have a good look at them when my contract runs out.

Hopefully someone on here uses them and can tell you about their service.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:56 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

I'd say the offpeak bandwidth is pretty useless (2am to 8am). You'd be hard pressed to use that so you can basically halve their headline figure.

Also they appear to require you to buy their VOIP Router/Modem box with their service and I'd still consider $169 to be a ripoff. Its only a bog standard box, and you wouldn't be able to add another VOIP provider to it (eg UK number).
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:27 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/ull_pricing.php

Any thoughts?

http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index.php?page=rta1046vw $169.95

Keith

P.S. How do i find out what the telephone number is on my shed? Its a Telstra line, we are not connected.

Speeds will be ok? See below;

I am starting to understand this setup now, some usefull info;

VoIP Service with Naked ADSL2+ – Making and Receiving Calls

2.1 Can I keep my existing phone number?
No. Once Naked ADSL2+ with VoIP has been installed, the phone line becomes a data only line. You will loose dial tone and your current phone number will be disconnected automatically. The phone number will be eventually released back to your phone provider and assigned to another customer. If customers have any contractual obligations with their phone provider, customers must ring them and close the account.

2.2 Instead of being assigned a new DID phone number, can I bring my current phone number across?
Unfortunately at this stage you cannot transfer your current number. TPG will assign a new phone number upon registration.

2.3 Can I choose my new phone number?
Unfortunately at this stage you cannot choose your new number. TPG will assign a new phone number upon registration.

2.4 When will I receive my new number and when can I start using my VoIP service?
Once payment has been taken for your plan, you will be assigned a new DID phone number. Once your Naked ADSL2+ service is active you will need to first ensure that your router is configured for internet and VoIP connectivity. You should then be able to use your VoIP service.

2.5 Will speed throttling affect VoIP Call quality?
While the voice quality should not change, if the connection is under heavy load there may be a decrease in quality.

2.6 How does the sound quality compare to a traditional phone call?
Under normal circumstances the sound quality is comparable to standard (PSTN) telephone services. VoIP call quality can be affected by the quality and speed of the customer's ADSL connection. Disturbances to the customer's ADSL service can affect the quality of the VoIP service or prevent it from operating. Please keep in mind that if you are running several programs that are using a high bandwidth, your call quality may be compromised.

2.7 Is your network based locally or overseas, and what effect will this have on end-users?
Our VoIP network is based locally which allows for great voice quality due to low latency.

2.8 Do you own or lease the network infrastructure, and what effect will this have on end-users?
TPG completely owns both the Naked ADSL2+ and VoIP networks, which allows us to offer a high quality of service to our customers.

2.9 How much does it cost to make calls?
TPG's VoIP call rates are extremely competitive, making TPG VoIP a low cost high quality service. Please visit our website for a complete list of call rates, by destination.

2.10 Will making calls affect my broadband usage limits?
When using VoIP over your broadband connection, the VoIP router is sending your voice call as data over the Internet. TPG will count this towards your monthly usage quota. As a rough rule of thumb, using VoIP consumes 0.6 Megabyte of your usage quota for every 10 minutes of conversation, assuming Standard (G729) voice compression. As the average household consumes between 1000 to 2000 minutes of phone usage per month, this would equate to approximately 60 to 120 Megabytes of usage quota.

We use TPG.. they are ok but they really do saturate the backhaul of the network so at peak times it can seem slow.. their plans encourage a lot of p2p...you pays your money and takes you choices...
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

I'd say the offpeak bandwidth is pretty useless (2am to 8am). You'd be hard pressed to use that so you can basically halve their headline figure.
Thats not always true. Set yourself up with a decent download manager and you can download your TV/Movies/Games when you're asleep.

Keeps your pipe clean for more fun stuff (fnarr!)
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by silver
We use TPG.. they are ok but they really do saturate the backhaul of the network so at peak times it can seem slow.. their plans encourage a lot of p2p...you pays your money and takes you choices...
Silver, did you purchase your own modem/router or buy there's? Also is it difficult to set up the modem, set up the voip service etc?

I have done it before in the UK with Virgin, that was simple, just plug in the ethernet cable. Tiscali was harder because we had no ethernet cable it was via the telephone cable, no fibre optic in the village.

Over here, is it a cable (telephone connections) from the wall to the modem/router. Then an ethernet cable from the router to the computer, asuming you are going hard wired and not wireless.

Then i assume an installation disc full of some usefull stuff? Is there much configuration regarding the PC?

Keith
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

So with VOIP can recieve calls from landline or mobile either here or overseas? My folks in the UK have a reduced rate for landline calls to Australia, would this still work for them (i.e. would it still count as a landline call for them?)

Just wondering if I need a landline and broadband or if broadband and use VOIP would be enough.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 11:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

iinet off-peak is 2am-12pm. I use scheduled tasks in Windows to turn Vuze on at 2am to make use of it. I have 45Gb of off-peak and use all of it every month.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
So with VOIP can recieve calls from landline or mobile either here or overseas? My folks in the UK have a reduced rate for landline calls to Australia, would this still work for them (i.e. would it still count as a landline call for them?)

Just wondering if I need a landline and broadband or if broadband and use VOIP would be enough.
With VOIP you get a dial in number that works like a normal phone number. The difference is :
a) you can be anywhere in the world and the number should still work (eg if you get a UK number it will work in Aus - ie Sipgate)
b) if the people ringing you are on the same or connected VOIP provider, the call is generally free

About the only theoretical downside of VOIP is it stops working if the power goes down (by so does your DECT phone) - and emergency numbers need be handled carefully (because you could be anywhere).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.