Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:31 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Ho ho ho,

I am getting the net i reckon, this little booty? Thoughts?

http://www.spin.net.au/products/naked

40GB Naked Total Data 40GB Peak 20GB Off-Peak 20GB $69.95

Activation Fees Activation Type No Contract $199

Modem Wireless Ethernet ADSL Router (4 Port) Billion 5200G $119.00

Now, i was a wondering, to keep costs down, i already have a router, but can i use it, will the damn thing work in Batside?

Would you be kind enough to take a look, and let me know whether it will work in Australia, links and pics below? Its just it will save me having to buy a new one you see?

I have no landline phone, i do not need one, but there is a Telestra line connection to the house, but not in use at present. I am going naked you see!

I was with Tiscali back home, they let me keep this one i think?

Siemens Gigaset SE587 Wireless ADSL router for Tiscali.

Siemens gigaset SE587 Wireless Router

UK Power adapter

Telephone cord

RJ-45 Ethernet cable

Cheers for the help friends!

Keith
Attached Thumbnails Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?-bg7hlt-bmk%7E%24-kgrhqiokjwervn8p-ffblhbb-48mq%7E%7E_35.jpg   Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?-bhf3hlqbgk%7E%24-kgrhqyh-doesnz-hqigblhqp1cgk-%7E%7E_12.jpg  

Last edited by Keith Moon; Dec 11th 2009 at 1:34 am.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Wheres the VOIP phone line going to go ?

I dont think you can use it for that reason.

You need a dedicated voip port for your Voip phone line.

Get a second hand IInet "belkin" of off ebay... circa 100 bucks you also get yourself 100 pct IInet support that way.

One of these

http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=...EGau&_osacat=0

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 11th 2009 at 1:43 am.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:40 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Wheres the VOIP phone line going to go ?

I dont think you can use it for that reason.

You need a dedicated voip port for your Voip phone line.

Get a second hand IInet "belkin" of off ebay... circa 100 bucks you also get yourself 100 pct IInet support that way.
Oz.

Standalone plan, no Voip!

So it will not work Oz? I will have to see Bob then will i?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BoB-4-port-wif...item2c522073de

Cheers Keith

Last edited by Keith Moon; Dec 11th 2009 at 1:46 am. Reason: Ouch!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Oz.

Standalone plan, no Voip!

Cheers Keith

What phone line are you going to use.... there is no point going naked if you still have a phone line.

The whole point of going naked is to save yourself line rental @ circa 30 bucks per month.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:53 am
Banned

Oz,

There is a phone line to the house, its a Telestra, but we do not use it, we have no landline. Do not want one.

I want to go naked, i do not need Voip, i have my Pennytel sim. All i need is the internet.

Do i have to have a Voip connection to get Naked ADSL2?

Cheers Keith
Old Dec 11th 2009, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oz,

There is a phone line to the house, its a Telestra, but we do not use it, we have no landline. Do not want one.

I want to go naked, i do not need Voip, i have my Pennytel sim. All i need is the internet.

Do i have to have a Voip connection to get Naked ADSL2?

Cheers Keith
The Naked service wont come down the Phone line... but to use the phone line you will have to pay Telstra 30 bucks per month. You will actively have to have the Telstra line disconnected.... which I just remembered happens when you switch to IInet.

AFAIK all Naked IInet plans come with free voip.

All your phone calls within Aus are then free..... which is cheaper than the pennytel sim.

Except to mobiles and 1300 and 13 numbers and 1900 numbers

You would only need the Pennytel sim to call other mobiles... which will be a lot cheaper... and still worth the 8 buck per month pennytel fee.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 11th 2009 at 2:05 am.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just in case, you can plug any modern phone into that IInet modem and it will work straight away.

Cordless Phone should only cost you circa 30 bucks.

Just seen where you are looking.... apologies....

If you think you can work without the Voip go for it.

Although bear in mind you do get an extra 20 gigs of download by going with the voip plan.... thats a pretty cheap 10 dollars worth.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 11th 2009 at 2:37 am.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:19 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Ho ho ho,

I am getting the net i reckon, this little booty? Thoughts?

Would you be kind enough to take a look, and let me know whether it will work in Australia, links and pics below? Its just it will save me having to buy a new one you see?

Keith
That modem/router seems to be rare now; because so many people threw it at the wall. An unmitigated pile of ..... was the polite description. I can't see any reference to ADSL2+ capability either.

I'd also say that Billion 5200G at $119.00 is way overpriced for a generic modem/router. Can't you get someone in the UK to send you a Christmas pressie of something like :

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/156834

All the Billion has, plus VOIP ports, for $63
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
That modem/router seems to be rare now; because so many people threw it at the wall. An unmitigated pile of ..... was the polite description. I can't see any reference to ADSL2+ capability either.

I'd also say that Billion 5200G at $119.00 is way overpriced for a generic modem/router. Can't you get someone in the UK to send you a Christmas pressie of something like :

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/156834

All the Billion has, plus VOIP ports, for $63
That looks pretty good actually.... I dont suppose you know if it can handle two different voip providers at once do you ?

If it can you've saved me close to 100 bucks !

I can live with 125 mbps wireless speed
Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:34 am
Banned

Cheers for the help men, very good info!

I did not realise that the internet did not use the phone line, like Tiscali, so here then you have a unique line installed to your property so to utilize the naked broadband? Similar to Virgin in the UK, like utilizing the Fibre Optic network, very fast!

Its just we are in a rented shed, i have attached the incoming ports into the house below, three pics, one is for the telephone, what are the others for?

I am wondering whether this property in Cleveland will be able to utilize this Naked broadband service? How would i find out, we have no landline number, we have no phone.\

Cheers Keith
Attached Thumbnails Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?-sl380864.jpg   Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?-sl380865.jpg   Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?-sl380866.jpg  
Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:53 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Cheers for the help men, very good info!

I did not realise that the internet did not use the phone line, like Tiscali, so here then you have a unique line installed to your property so to utilize the naked broadband? Similar to Virgin in the UK, like utilizing the Fibre Optic network, very fast!

Its just we are in a rented shed, i have attached the incoming ports into the house below, three pics, one is for the telephone, what are the others for?

I am wondering whether this property in Cleveland will be able to utilize this Naked broadband service? How would i find out, we have no landline number, we have no phone.\

Cheers Keith
Naked DSL products use the phone line, you just don't subscribe to the plain old telephone service and just get dsl down those very same wires. DSL is a telephone network technology. Virgin is a cable network technology (HFC) much the same as is offered by Optus and Telstra here.

Your Siemens modem will probably work if you can get into its config pages. The modem may not be officially supported by your isp so you won't get exact instructions to configure it but you could probably work it out.

Spin plan doesn't seem to have a lot of data included for the cost.

You don't necessarily need a voip port to use voip. You can use an IP telephone which connects via ethernet e.g. some of the siemens gigaset IP phones or snom's etc or an ata (analogue telephone adapter).

BoB seems like an expensive box for what it is and personally I wouldn't lock myself into one ISP/voip provider like iinet (although they are pretty good)....
Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:56 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Cheers Keith
BTW. You've got two phone sockets and a telstra cable socket.... be careful if you go for cable broadband as they charge uploads and downloads on telstra as part of your quota... but they will provide 100mb/s in the coming months over this network...

And these routers look cool http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/F...7270/index.php bit expensive tho...
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:48 am
Banned

Ummmmmm............?

So Naked does use the incoming telephone line to feed the internet into your home, i thought it did. You just do not subscribe to a landline telephone package. So in essence; the internet feeds through the telephone line, but you do not have a landline telephone, so no Telstra cost.

So it looks like we are fine there then, the modem i have is a tad archaic i know, but if it works it works, but no free telephone calls over the net?

I will look into the options, decide what to do, consult the boss, then do what she decides?

Keith
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by silver
Naked DSL products use the phone line, you just don't subscribe to the plain old telephone service and just get dsl down those very same wires. DSL is a telephone network technology. Virgin is a cable network technology (HFC) much the same as is offered by Optus and Telstra here.

Your Siemens modem will probably work if you can get into its config pages. The modem may not be officially supported by your isp so you won't get exact instructions to configure it but you could probably work it out.

Spin plan doesn't seem to have a lot of data included for the cost.

You don't necessarily need a voip port to use voip. You can use an IP telephone which connects via ethernet e.g. some of the siemens gigaset IP phones or snom's etc or an ata (analogue telephone adapter).

BoB seems like an expensive box for what it is and personally I wouldn't lock myself into one ISP/voip provider like iinet (although they are pretty good)....
When they switched me over to IInet they definitely did something out in the "hole in the pavement" Took 3 days to connect me up as well.... so no line for 3 days.

I thought they were just going to do something at the exchange... I'd say they switched lines at street level for some reason.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
When they switched me over to IInet they definitely did something out in the "hole in the pavement" Took 3 days to connect me up as well.... so no line for 3 days.

I thought they were just going to do something at the exchange... I'd say they switched lines at street level for some reason.

Bum steer there Oz?

Cheers for the help mate.

I am going to go Naked, thats for sure, do not want a phone of any kind, just the internet. I will look into purchasing a new router, more modern, then hopefull, plug it into the phone line, configure my pc to the new router, activate the internet, should be up and running?

If i can get a 20 20 deal offpeak/peak, no term contract, buy my own router, 200 bucks set up fee, i will be happy. I just do not want to pay by Direct Debit, i do not have a credit card, are there any providers which take Bpay or standing order?

Cheers Keith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.