Reload this Page >

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:30 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
I'm not really wining , its just i arrived here thinking everything would be the same as the UK apart from the weather,
In the name of Lord God, tell me you're f***ing joking ... ?

You are aren't you ... ? Tell me you are f***ing joking.

If not, that is quite possibly the single most incredible and absolutely absurd rambling I've ever witnessed on here ...

OMGA.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:34 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen everything I need too now.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 4:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you paying 75p for petrol I know there's a lot of British over there but WA hasn't gone back to pounds and pence have they

I love lack of street lighting. Means you don't have the light pollution that stuffs up the night sky - you can actually see stars up there.

Fairly irrelevant in my opinion but I think you'll find a majority of rentals all over the world are painted whites and beiges. They are the easiest colours to live with, touch up and most furniture will go with them - all very important when renting out a property.

Anyway, I live over here so it doesn't concern me. I'd be interested to know how these traffic jams compare to most motorways in the UK though. On the radio here we hear about gridlock - what they actually mean is five cars have slowed down to 40
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:23 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

I love lack of street lighting. Means you don't have the light pollution that stuffs up the night sky - you can actually see stars up there.

I like that too, in the summer I love standing outside with a glass of wine and just straring at the sky
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:32 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
I like that too, in the summer I love standing outside with a glass of wine and just straring at the sky
You've already been on the vino, haven't you?
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:01 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Traffic on the freeway is a killer in rush hour (6am-9am) - (4pm - 7pm)
This would be the same any City or town in the UK
and when they are clear you cant go over 100kph (about 60 mph) or you WILL get caught and fined by the police ...oh and all public holidays are double de-merit points.
Great – don’t speed and you would have to worry about thisWe all drive round in big gas guzzling 4.0L V6's but cant use them,...also all the roads are straight with loads of traffic lights, so driving is no fun at all!!
Try off roading, it’s the best fun

the average wage in Perth is $70,000 (£35,000)
Yes

When going to the Cinema Popcorn is salted ...take it or leave it!!
Leave it
house interiors of properties over 5 years old are beige that’s the walls,floors,carpets,light fittings,bathroom suites, tiles and fittings and kitchens ....all beige
Great for rentals. But you can always redecorate

Beaches are OK but dangerous ..you cant let small children in to paddle as the undercurrent from the "surf" will drag them under..
Try: Cottesloe Beach, City Beach, Floret Beach, Mettams Beach, Sorrento Beach to name but a few. In the summer they nearly all are patrolled by Life Savers, swim between the flag and you should be safe
Houses...you ain't coming here mortgage free anymore!!
Its been like now for a few years
Swimming pools are hard work to keep up to scratch to the point that alot of people wouldn't have one so they add no value to a house.
In the summer wont be with out it, if it’s a hassle get someone in, it cost about $55 a month

You wont get much back garden for the kids to play in.
They’re a plenty of parks and open spaces

Street lighting in residential areas is minimum as are footpaths...take the car!!
Love it, love being able to see stars
Second hand cars are very expensive but buying new is cheaper than the UK.

All shops shut on Sunday....(except IGA and Bunnings)
Try going to into the City, also Harbour Town and Frematle is open on a Sunday
Petrol is 75p per Litre (but going up fast!!)
I think you mean $1.56ish

Broadband it limited, slow and expensive
Don’t have any problems with ours, it can be a pain though when we get close to our download limit

in the autumn and winter it does rain ..alot and is cold in the evenings..
Well it is WINTER!

Summer is very hot but not humid so if you can get out of the sun it is not too uncomfortable..

Aussie humour ...is great when taking the piss out of the brits but even a slight dig at anything Australian will have them muttering into their stubbies.
Never had a problem, work with Aussie and they have a great sense of humour

Time is not a concept.... I know isnt it great
You just have to execpt its not UK with sunshine, things are sone differently, some you will like and some not
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:06 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'd be interested to know how these traffic jams compare to most motorways in the UK though. On the radio here we hear about gridlock - what they actually mean is five cars have slowed down to 40

I love the traffic reports in the morning going to work telling me that I may have to wait 2 light changes at a junction ...................Compare that to a half hour traffic jam over a distance of 2 miles on the North Circular just to get to the traffic lights!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:11 am
I'm watching YOU...

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
You've already been on the vino, haven't you?
I wish, trying to give it during the week. Been really good so far its been 2 days But its really hard when you work for drinks company and temptation is all around every day
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Don't you have chairs there either
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:37 am
I'm watching YOU...

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Don't you have chairs there either
Chairs, we're to backward for them

If I'm lucky I'm flat on my back looking up after my fourth glass of wine
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:47 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Chairs, we're to backward for them

If I'm lucky I'm flat on my back looking up after my fourth glass of wine
Hope you covered up the pink pussy while you're on ya back
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

Oh 9$ for a pint and the Flys, you forgot that
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

OK, people who have lived in perth for a few years know all this stuff and have learned to deal with it probably so much so that its just part of normal day life..

but this thread is titled "IF YOUR COMING TO PERTH" and is aimed at people still in the UK who may have not yet visited Perth or even Australia ..much the same as myself and family before we started the immigration process...this is also the the reason i have put "£'s"

if someone is coming here and has read this thread,Maybe they wont order 4 large bags of popcorn in the cinema and have to chuck them away, or buy a 10 year old manual landrover freelander and be shocked they had to pay £6000 (+ stamp duty) for it (when it would have cost £1200 in the UK) and then not be able to sell it , 'cos no one wants it,

I have moved here from Dorset so am not used to 4 lane motorways which crawl along at 20kph and when you go to the beach your 3 year old isn't torn out of your hand by the undercurrent and you have to dive in to save them and then battle your way out of the water....

Yes shops in the city are open Sunday but most new settler pomms tend to live in either the far northern or southern suburbs as the £ doesn't stretch as far as it did

Dont get me wrong my family and I do love it here and sometimes have to edit our emails home so that it doesnt sound we are gloating too much about our new better lives ,

But there is an old saying forewarned is forearmed
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Just going to say this:

Traffic on the freeway is a killer in rush hour (6am-9am) - (4pm - 7pm)
and when they are clear you cant go over 100kph (about 60 mph) or you WILL get caught and fined by the police ...oh and all public holidays are double de-merit points.
Good. People that speed are toerags.

We all drive round in big gas guzzling 4.0L V6's but cant use them,...also all the roads are straight with loads of traffic lights, so driving is no fun at all!!
If driving means that much to anyone then they can get a 4x4 and go off road or so one of those race track days. Using public roads like a race track should result in immediate death by firing squad.

the average wage in Perth is $70,000 (£35,000)
Much higher than UK then.

When going to the Cinema Popcorn is salted ...take it or leave it!!
As it should be.

house interiors of properties over 5 years old are beige thats the walls,floors,carpets,light fittings,bathroom suites, tiles and fittings and kitchens ....all beige
If only Australia didn't have a law stopping people from REDECORATING

Beaches are OK but dangerous ..you cant let small children in to paddle as the undercurrent from the "surf" will drag them under..
Didn't stop me swimming in them when I was a kid.

Houses...you ain't coming here mortgage free anymore!!
Not until after the crash, no. Expect 20% off before the end of 2010.

Swimming pools are hard work to keep up to scratch to the point that alot of people wouldn't have one so they add no value to a house.
Yes they are hard work. The reward is your swimming pool.

You wont get much back garden for the kids to play in.
Move to a district where you can buy a bigger garden or take the kids to the parks.

Street lighting in residential areas is minimum as are footpaths...take the car!!
I'll watch my step. Stupid Australians.

Second hand cars are very expensive but buying new is cheaper than the UK.
Second-hand cars are often in better condition thanks to the weather. You remember the weather? It's that thing you moaned about every day when you lived in the UK.

All shops shut on Sunday....(except IGA and Bunnings)
Well, now I'm thinking about staying in the UK. This could be a deal breaker.

Petrol is 75p per Litre (but going up fast!!)
Sure. Same everywhere. It's going to get a lot higher as well. Buy a car under 2 litres and drive it as little as possible.

Broadband it limited, slow and expensive
For now. Govt. has stated it's going to bring it up to date with other first world states.

in the autumn and winter it does rain ..alot and is cold in the evenings.. summer is very hot but not humid so if you can get out of the sun it is not too uncomfortable..
With the notable exception of Adelaide, all major Australian cities have more annual rainfall than London. People should research this, and how hot it gets, before they move their families permanently to theo ther side of the world.

Aussie humour ...is great when taking the piss out of the brits but even a slight dig at anything Australian will have them muttering into their stubbies.
I have no experience of this. I suspect it depends on the social class of Australians one chooses to spend time with.

Time is not a concept....
Not sure what this means. Are you a quantum physicist?

Not really winging ....i do like it here but was a bit surprised how backwards some things are.
It really doesn't sound like you do like it there, and it is not backwards. The Upper Volta is backwards. You live in a country with satellite TV, air-conditioned malls, shops with 45 flavours of coffee and heated private swimming pools. This is not backwards.

Best regards,
T.

Last edited by Tableland; Jun 17th 2008 at 2:09 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tableland

Are you a quantum physicist?

Best regards,
T.
Actually Yes I am ....but only part time ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.