Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Originally Posted by stariston

Are thay any closer to building that pub in Carramar yet seems there is
a massive shortage of R&R In the area making people easily wound up into coild springs
and easily snap at the least thing
The shop is being built...Woolworths i think..not sure about the pub. Hope it's soon though, we need some entertaining

Good post by the way, it is true even if you love it here.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Clara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud of

True post. . . been here 6 weeks rained far too much, been breathlised already and quinns to mt lawley every day no fun, dark streets major headache but I never would have believed anyone BUT still loving it!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:50 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I`d just like to reply to a few points here,
1. I like Terry Wogan.
2. Not everyone drives big gas guzzlers, we don`t and still manage to survive.
3. Yes street lighting crap.
4. Yes it does rain a lot in winter - usually torrential rain with really strong winds - no poncy drizzly showers here.
5. Not all house interiors are beige, they are often, yellow, red & purple, trust me on this cos we saw a lot of "cough, cough colour variety" before we bought our beige decorated house (which we are now in the process of paining different shades of beige, plus, blue, pink & terracotta - though not all in the same room - my "cough, cough colour pallette "isn`t quite that adventurous).
6. House prices are coming down and if you were feeling adventurous you could even pick up an older house, (or maybe a really ancient one which is more than 10 yrs old) that has more than a postage stamp sized garden.
7. Unfortunately for my husband Bunnings is still open on Sunday - much to his dismay, so I can still torture him with shopping trips.
8. Broadband is pretty expensive but then I don`t smoke or drink much so I have to have a vice other than liking Terry Wogan.
9. Yes I am a boring old fart!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

scrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
A lot of these could be counted as good points if measured against the rat-race 24/7 lifestyle of the UK..

hey how many people have a swimming pool to moan about in England?
Well said!!!! just get on with it, I could complain for hours about england. can't wait to get there
Old Jun 15th 2008, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

With regard to the speed limits in Perth, as a UK petrolhead when I came to Perth I was dismayed how slowly everyone drove, but by the end of the first week had to admit to feeling way more relaxed driving around, slower is definitely better, but if you adopted that ethos in th UK, youd be dead in no time due to road rage.Slower speed is a definite positive in public, take it to the strip and kick its head in!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris1386
With regard to the speed limits in Perth, as a UK petrolhead when I came to Perth I was dismayed how slowly everyone drove, but by the end of the first week had to admit to feeling way more relaxed driving around, slower is definitely better, but if you adopted that ethos in th UK, youd be dead in no time due to road rage.Slower speed is a definite positive in public, take it to the strip and kick its head in!
I know what you mean, I use the strip every now and then and I am hoping to build a drift car when I get settled out there to get it out of my system. There are a fair few tracks around the Perth area that look really good. You are right though its nice to kick back and slow down in Perth, its safer and saves your license.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:32 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
Traffic on the freeway is a killer in rush hour (6am-9am) - (4pm - 7pm)
and when they are clear you cant go over 100kph (about 60 mph) or you WILL get caught and fined by the police ...oh and all public holidays are double de-merit points.

TIP: Don't speed

We all drive round in big gas guzzling 4.0L V6's

Why? Did you have a "Chelsea Tractor" in the UK as well?

but cant use them,...also all the roads are straight with loads of traffic lights, so driving is no fun at all!!

the average wage in Perth is $70,000 (£35,000)

$70k x 2 adults = $140k. That'll do me.

When going to the Cinema Popcorn is salted ...take it or leave it!!

Been there. I hate salted popcorn...

house interiors of properties over 5 years old are beige thats the walls,floors,carpets,light fittings,bathroom suites, tiles and fittings and kitchens ....all beige

Quick coat of paint soon sorts that out...

Beaches are OK but dangerous ..you cant let small children in to paddle as the undercurrent from the "surf" will drag them under..

Find a safer beach. Rockingham, from what I remember, is very child friendly..

Houses...you ain't coming here mortgage free anymore!!

Ah well, such is life....I, for one, never expected to..

Swimming pools are hard work to keep up to scratch to the point that alot of people wouldn't have one so they add no value to a house.

I think someone else already gave a very good answer to this one...

You wont get much back garden for the kids to play in.

You must be looking at different areas than I am, or, you had a football sized garden back in the UK..

Street lighting in residential areas is minimum as are footpaths...take the car!!

Agreed. More street lighting would be ideal..

Second hand cars are very expensive but buying new is cheaper than the UK.

Sure are. From my experience they are in better nick than similar in UK.

All shops shut on Sunday....(except IGA and Bunnings)

Good excuse not to shop on a Sunday. Take a break, go to the beach, rest. Apparently even God did...

Petrol is 75p per Litre (but going up fast!!)

Still cheaper than UK. Diesel currently £1.29 per litre....

Broadband it limited, slow and expensive

Hate this bit. I am used to fast BB here in UK...

in the autumn and winter it does rain ..alot and is cold in the evenings..

summer is very hot but not humid so if you can get out of the sun it is not too uncomfortable..

Never found it too great a problem. Then again, I have never had to work full-time in the sun...

Aussie humour ...is great when taking the piss out of the brits but even a slight dig at anything Australian will have them muttering into their stubbies.

Tough, for the Aussies that is. Never found that to be the case. More to do with the fact that they possibly just did not "get" my sense of humour...

Time is not a concept....

Looking forward to that. I want a more relaxed way of life where I am not running a round like a headless chicken trying to get things finished as quickly as possible of for no good reason other than I feel I should.

Not really winging ....i do like it here but was a bit surprised how backwards some things are.
Just my two pennys worth....

Darren
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

littlemiss will become famous soon enough

Ummmmmmmmm, I love salted popcorn!!!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

christ, i see why the ozzies call us whinging pomms! get a life!

Last edited by bu1lder; Jun 15th 2008 at 8:54 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Location: West Sussex till end of 2009- then somewhere sunnier
john& becky is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: The Freeway...........have you EVER been on the M25?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

How fast are you allowed to drive in UK then?
We have a 100kph limit here in NZ too and people still manage to kill themselves.

In what way is the street lighting crap in Perth. Do you mean there aren't enough lights, or they aren't bright enough, or is it just out of town?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:03 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Good post and several comments from me...

The rain, we need it as we don't get much the rest of the year and our damn capacity is only about 31%. It's also much more pleasant than snow, frost and ice.

Street lighting is crap.

Freeways are a lot more pleasant than the A1.

Petrol, in comparison to some other liquids I think it still is relatively cheap. 1.65 a litre in comparison to bottled water, I was a the servo yesterday and I paid 2.70 for a litre of water, go figure..... A decent bottle of wine will set you back 15 bucks for 75cl...

Keep in mind the work that goes on behind drilling, refining and distributing black gold I think we get a bargain
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Slow broadband?

I have 24Mb ADSL2+. I get an effective 19Mb. It's quick as. How many people get this in the UK?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:26 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yawn. I won't bother replying to this. YAWN.

Gina
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Slow broadband?

I have 24Mb ADSL2+. I get an effective 19Mb. It's quick as. How many people get this in the UK?
I have to agree.

How about - Perth is the home of iinet - the gods of superfast broadband & great customer service!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.