Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Originally Posted by bcworld
I have to agree.

How about - Perth is the home of iinet - the gods of superfast broadband & great customer service!
How anyone would even contemplate going with Bigpond/Telstra when there are outfits like iinet/Westnet around is beyond me.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Well Im north of Perth,

and we have no traffic jams
Try and find a traffic cop
Yes, we drive big 4W , I have 4kids so you try fitting them in a micra
Its rains less in winter,a lot less than Perth. Pretty hot in Summer, but Perth still got the 44C Christmas like us.
Beaches, uncrowded and kids can paddle safely.
shops still closes on Sunday unless its Bunnings and IGA.
You can drive to Perth and back in one day.
Not really mozzies, in this town,beach.

Kids saw a sealion on Friday night when we walked along Cape Burney beach on a nice warm evening. Also saw a local catch a fish (well its a big thing when your only 3years old)

Gems
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Ps, our new estate actually has paths.
You can also walk/cycle on a path all the way to town centre, or along the beaches.

So WA can supply paths!

Gems
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

twinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nice

Hoping to move to Mandurah by Christmas.

Perth sounds like heaven to me. Bring on the rain, try living with six months of snow and minus 20 degree weather, anything over minus 5 will feel like a nice spring day for me.

As far as popcorn goes, in Canada we always have salted popcorn, it is the only way to have it (plus lots of butter of course).

I am looking forward to having no Sunday shopping. We used to have no Sunday shopping in Canada, and now the shops are open almost 24/7.... complete rat race.

I am looking forward to a more relaxed way of life, spending quality time with my family and being able to enjoy the outdoors more than 7 months of the year.

As far as a pool goes, it is going to be one of the first things on the list for us. We had a pool in Canada, they are really easy to maintain and do not take that much work, plus we won't have to open and close it like we did in Canada.

Personally I can't wait to arrive in Mandurah and embrace the whole Aussie way of live.

Karen
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinsmom65

Perth sounds like heaven to me. Bring on the rain, try living with six months of snow and minus 20 degree weather, anything over minus 5 will feel like a nice spring day for me.

As far as popcorn goes, in Canada we always have salted popcorn, it is the only way to have it (plus lots of butter of course).

I am looking forward to having no Sunday shopping. We used to have no Sunday shopping in Canada, and now the shops are open almost 24/7.... complete rat race.

I am looking forward to a more relaxed way of life, spending quality time with my family and being able to enjoy the outdoors more than 7 months of the year.

As far as a pool goes, it is going to be one of the first things on the list for us. We had a pool in Canada, they are really easy to maintain and do not take that much work, plus we won't have to open and close it like we did in Canada.

Personally I can't wait to arrive in Mandurah and embrace the whole Aussie way of live.

Karen
We will probably have Sunday shopping after the next election - which is due by next year.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by twinsmom65

I never understand statements like this.

It’s actually more of a rat race by closing everything on a Sunday. When I lived in Perth working mon – fri meant you had to rush out to the shopping centre on a Thursday night (only late night) or on a Saturday, which meant that everyone else rushed out at those times too, meaning the place does be packed with people, so crowded, and you have to wait even longer in queue, you can’t move.

With shopping in Sydney open until midnight every night and some 24 hours, it means I can take my time, strole to the shopping centre when it’s quiet, take as long or as little as I want and I never have to queue.

Which sounds more like the rat race?

PS: You said you’ll be moving to Mandurah, I think they actually have Sunday shopping there. LOL – only the Perth City Centre and Mandurah get Sunday shopping.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:27 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stariston
there is
a massive shortage of R&R In the area making people easily wound up into coild springs
and easily snap at the least thing
WTF?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:34 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newe Yoiker
there is
a massive shortage of R&R In the area making people easily wound up into coild springs
and easily snap at the least thing
Originally Posted by worzel
WTF?
"Coild"??? What, in "Newe Yoik" in winter?

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Jun 16th 2008 at 3:37 am.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Lack of street lighting is so true - I think it's the same all round Australia. When we travelled around the country it was one thing we used to notice everywhere - and it's the same here in melbourne.
I only have to walk about three minutes from the train station to my house but it's nearly pitched black. I often see people walking around with torches
It still amuses us, even after a couple of years
Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Lack of street lighting is so true - I think it's the same all round Australia. When we travelled around the country it was one thing we used to notice everywhere - and it's the same here in melbourne.
I only have to walk about three minutes from the train station to my house but it's nearly pitched black. I often see people walking around with torches
It still amuses us, even after a couple of years
Yup, its great when you walk under a tree into a mass of webs! Or come face to face with a startled fruit bat!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:59 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
Traffic on the freeway is a killer in rush hour (6am-9am) - (4pm - 7pm)
and when they are clear you cant go over 100kph (about 60 mph) or you WILL get caught and fined by the police ...oh and all public holidays are double de-merit points.

We all drive round in big gas guzzling 4.0L V6's but cant use them,...also all the roads are straight with loads of traffic lights, so driving is no fun at all!!

the average wage in Perth is $70,000 (£35,000)

When going to the Cinema Popcorn is salted ...take it or leave it!!

house interiors of properties over 5 years old are beige thats the walls,floors,carpets,light fittings,bathroom suites, tiles and fittings and kitchens ....all beige

Beaches are OK but dangerous ..you cant let small children in to paddle as the undercurrent from the "surf" will drag them under..

Houses...you ain't coming here mortgage free anymore!!

Swimming pools are hard work to keep up to scratch to the point that alot of people wouldn't have one so they add no value to a house.

You wont get much back garden for the kids to play in.

Street lighting in residential areas is minimum as are footpaths...take the car!!

Second hand cars are very expensive but buying new is cheaper than the UK.

All shops shut on Sunday....(except IGA and Bunnings)

Petrol is 75p per Litre (but going up fast!!)

Broadband it limited, slow and expensive

in the autumn and winter it does rain ..alot and is cold in the evenings..

summer is very hot but not humid so if you can get out of the sun it is not too uncomfortable..

Aussie humour ...is great when taking the piss out of the brits but even a slight dig at anything Australian will have them muttering into their stubbies.

Time is not a concept....

Not really winging ....i do like it here but was a bit surprised how backwards some things are.
I live in Freo, most of the shops are open on Sundays.

I don't drive over here but find the public transport satisfactory, I will have some refresher lessons but Im in no hurry to get a car.

Still acclimatising so not found it too cold as yet.

Aussie humour - I love it and when I (regularly) get sporting events thrown at me in a piss take, I retaliate and mention about Rugby and after that just say 'UK firemen/policemen are far better looking than yours' or ' Our Prime Minister doesn't look like an extra from Thunderbirds - unlike Kev'
The banter is ruthless and goes on for hours and usually results in a drink after work with comments such as 'The pom can give as good as she gets'

I don't have broadband as I am happy with Westnet dialup, great service so far.

We don't have kids so are happy with our small garden.

Our rental is beautifully decorated - I hope they extend our tennancy as we love it there.

I don't swim in pools, I swim in the sea but never go above my waste as I can only paddle really. Been stung by a jellyfish but soon got over that.

We have more money left over at the end of the month and seem to be doing far better financially then we ever did in England.

I think we have just picked the right place, I don't know if we will ever be able to afford as for us it is cheaper to rent. Yes I know all the blurb about wasting money to the landlord, but to be honest I would rather live where I am and afford my rent comfortably than to move out a few miles to buy and pay double what I am paying now AND need a car to get to work.

It works for us - and long may it continue.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
...but never go above my waste....
EW! Remind me never to go swimming near you!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:26 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Traffic on the freeway is a killer in rush hour (6am-9am) - (4pm - 7pm)
and when they are clear you cant go over 100kph (about 60 mph) or you WILL get caught and fined by the police ...oh and all public holidays are double de-merit points.
not as bad as brum

We all drive round in big gas guzzling 4.0L V6's but cant use them,...also all the roads are straight with loads of traffic lights, so driving is no fun at all!!

get a getz in and out of traffic,piss all over the baked bean twats

the average wage in Perth is $70,000 (£35,000)

thats quite good if you get that ,,,,

When going to the Cinema Popcorn is salted ...take it or leave it!!

m&ms

house interiors of properties over 5 years old are beige thats the walls,floors,carpets,light fittings,bathroom suites, tiles and fittings and kitchens ....all beige
but one 50 years old.bottomless pit

Beaches are OK but dangerous ..you cant let small children in to paddle as the undercurrent from the "surf" will drag them under..

this is so true,dont underestimate the sea

Houses...you ain't coming here mortgage free anymore!!

ah well,,,,

Swimming pools are hard work to keep up to scratch to the point that alot of people wouldn't have one so they add no value to a house.

fluckin this man needs a medal,nothing but hassle

You wont get much back garden for the kids to play in.

i cant find my kids sometimes in mine..

Street lighting in residential areas is minimum as are footpaths...take the car!!

ive tapped into ours lamp post,free laccie

Second hand cars are very expensive but buying new is cheaper than the UK.

buy new..

All shops shut on Sunday....(except IGA and Bunnings)

eat hot dogs

Petrol is 75p per Litre (but going up fast!!)

Broadband it limited, slow and expensive

dont make much difference on here

in the autumn and winter it does rain ..alot and is cold in the evenings..

buy a waterproof quilt

summer is very hot but not humid so if you can get out of the sun it is not too uncomfortable..

a pool is quite usefull

Aussie humour ...is great when taking the piss out of the brits but even a slight dig at anything Australian will have them muttering into their stubbies.

arsefaces

Time is not a concept....

Not really winging ....i do like it here but was a bit surprised how backwards some things are.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:46 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
That sums me up (except I am guilty of winging a little-bit).
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Quickie would it be practical to drive from Carramar to City,
to arrive CBD For say a 8,30 am Meeting .How long commute time
Avarage time Monday to friday .

Would i be attacked by angry locals along the way and have most
of the journey with no street lights .

As its not cheap repairing scratches to a porch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.