Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:17 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Well with the all time spent "training" on here it should be a doddle to fit right in!
Absolutely
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Slow broadband?

I have 24Mb ADSL2+. I get an effective 19Mb. It's quick as. How many people get this in the UK?
How do you manage that, i live pretty close to you, have ADSL2 as well supposed to be 20Mb but in effect is 1 Mb... Bigpond don't seem capable of sorting it., have spent many a fruitless evening tryign to argue the point, guess you will tell me you didn't go with BigPond...
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
How do you manage that, i live pretty close to you, have ADSL2 as well supposed to be 20Mb but in effect is 1 Mb... Bigpond don't seem capable of sorting it., have spent many a fruitless evening tryign to argue the point, guess you will tell me you didn't go with BigPond...
iinet
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:09 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
I have moved here from Dorset so am not used to 4 lane motorways which crawl along at 20kph
So, you moved from sleepy Dorset to a large city with 1.6 million inhabitants (Perth), but you expected the traffic patterns (and everything else) to be the same as in Dorset????! [insert shaking head smiley here]

Gina
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

starsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to all

Sorry, but having lived in Perth for 26 years and having lived in Europe and US also, I must say this post is misleading in a number of respects.

1. The traffic is not bad AT ALL. Seriously, you have obviously never lived in a city if you think Perth traffic is bad. You should try Sydney traffic or even worse, Moscow traffic where you literally cannot move anywhere in the city between the hours of 3pm and 10pm. Traffic in Perth is a breeze.

2. Weather. Again, best weather of anywhere I have lived. Winter is rainy and cold but it's also short. And throughout winter you get sunny days. You get more sun in winter than you do in summer in the UK. The weather in summer does get hot but it's bearable and there is always the beach.

3. Yes most shops are shut on a Sunday except you forgot to mention a lot of supermarkets are open, the city shops are open. This is a pet peeve of mine because I think it is completely backward for shops to be shut on a Sunday. I also wish Perth would completely deregulate trading hours. So I will give you this one. That said, I think the government will deregulate soon.

4. Sense of humour. I think aussies have a good sense of humour - but yes we do get annoyed when people moan about Australia. Not sure why - maybe it's different if you joke with Australians who have been overseas.

5. Swimming with children. Oh my god, what are you talking about? I learnt to swim at about age 2 when my mother threw me into the pool and said swim. Perth has the world's best beaches and so many of them are appropriate for little kids. Mettams pool, trigg, cottesloe. all of them. Rotto??? We grew up spending every summer holidays in Rotto. We managed not to get dragged under by the currents. Maybe you are too nervous. Aussie kids are like dolphins.

6. You can totally get caramel popcorn at the movies. Certainly at greater union. And probably best not to get into a discussion of UK food versus aussie food. The quality of fruit and veg in Oz will win hands down any time.

7. Ummm...I can't remember any of your other points.

I just think some of the criticisms were not fair and may give people who are coming here the wrong idea.

I am well and truly aware of Perth's faults - the trading hours, the suburbs (good god I HATE the suburbs), the country town aspect of it sometimes. But if you live inner city or even near the beach and you love the outdoors, Perth rocks! Man the parks, the beach, the food...
I am moving home after 4 1/2 years away so you can tell I am excited.

Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Rachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura about

Ok im really thinking about not moving to Perth now after the first post on here
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:11 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rachel...
Ok im really thinking about not moving to Perth now after the first post on here
Don't let someone else tell you what you will like or dislike

Cheers
b
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:58 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Don' be daft! It's just one person's opinion (to which he is entitled). You may not see things the same way.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:25 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

You're joking, right?

Gina
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:59 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

It was mostly tongue in cheek, where's your sense of humour
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:59 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

One mans pleasure is anothers torture.

You are not serious though, you would let a complete stranger sway your opinions on a major event in your life, one that you will experience in your own way and not theirs?

Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:00 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
It was mostly tongue in cheek, where's your sense of humour
I suspected it was

Well after reading all this about Perth, I have decided that I am in the honeymoon period and will now move back to London ASAP.

Anyone know of any good shipping companies?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:04 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I suspected it was

Well after reading all this about Perth, I have decided that I am in the honeymoon period and will now move back to London ASAP.

Anyone know of any good shipping companies?
LOL, i love Jammies post, it rang some home truths, but it was all in good fun.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
Traffic on the freeway is a killer in rush hour (6am-9am) - (4pm - 7pm)
absolutely, it is a real bummer when you struggle to get into 5th gear during rush hour
and when they are clear you cant go over 100kph (about 60 mph) or you WILL get caught and fined by the police ...oh and all public holidays are double de-merit points.
Double the number of people killed on holidays, maybe if the average driver was a little better we wouldn't need so many speed cameras, must be one of the worst places for crap drivers i have seen

We all drive round in big gas guzzling 4.0L V6's but cant use them,...also all the roads are straight with loads of traffic lights, so driving is no fun at all!!
sounds like Chelsea have you tried the Perth Hills like Mundaring Weir road, plenty of turns there

the average wage in Perth is $70,000 (£35,000)
Better than the UK then

When going to the Cinema Popcorn is salted ...take it or leave it!!Yumm

house interiors of properties over 5 years old are beige thats the walls,floors,carpets,light fittings,bathroom suites, tiles and fittings and kitchens ....all beige
i am a man... don't notice the colours of the walls

Beaches are OK but dangerous ..you cant let small children in to paddle as the undercurrent from the "surf" will drag them under..
Buy a pool .. oh no, forgot too much work

Houses...you ain't coming here mortgage free anymore!!
Try Mongolia, heard it is cheap there if you get in quick

Swimming pools are hard work to keep up to scratch to the point that alot of people wouldn't have one so they add no value to a house.
Sitting around on your backside all day occurs everywhere, and anyway, it is a real effort to swim so why bother, takes about 10 minutes a day if that, probably less time than you spend sitting on the toilet

You wont get much back garden for the kids to play in.
Yup, really miss that 2 acres in London.. houses are bigger here, gardens are yards, seems to be an Aussie thing, live out of the city and get loads of garden

Street lighting in residential areas is minimum as are footpaths...take the car!!
buy a head lamp from Bunnings, stars are nice though

Second hand cars are very expensive but buying new is cheaper than the UK.
I like shiny new things
All shops shut on Sunday....(except IGA and Bunnings)
Could always live in Mt lawley, shops open most the night and weekends, still can think of better things to do on Sundays
Petrol is 75p per Litre (but going up fast!!)
move to Saudi, only costs a few pence, but still going up fast
Broadband it limited, slow and expensive
Oh Yesss... must get out more
in the autumn and winter it does rain ..alot and is cold in the evenings..
unlike the UK
summer is very hot but not humid so if you can get out of the sun it is not too uncomfortable.

Aussie humour ...is great when taking the piss out of the brits but even a slight dig at anything Australian will have them muttering into their stubbies.
Bit like the Scots, Yanks, French, Italians etc
Time is not a concept....
Damn, must be going i am late
Not really winging ....i do like it here but was a bit surprised how backwards some things are.
I realise this is just giving people an idea but I reckon, apart from the hard core city folk whose life revolves around shopping, clubbing European traveling then Perth is fine, Small city, small politics, beautiful beaches parks and countryside, great weather, nice friendly people but like anywhere has great things and bad things but still reckon it is a lot better than living in the UK, Friends and Family are the things most people miss, can't get them anywhere but home
Old Jun 20th 2008, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Rachel......dont let me put you off ......yes my comments are tongue in cheek and it really is a great place to live and bring up a family

No its not perfect but then nor is the UK !!!!

i have no plans to move back to old blighty

Life is an adventure ....viva la differance

hey keep smiling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.