Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:14 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

Originally Posted by renth
House prices need to crash, they will crash and it will be great news for everyone bar property investors who should have cashed in 18 months ago if they had any sense at all.
So the person who paid $390k for a property in Nov 2007, and sold in Dec 2008 for $529k, had no sense ?

And the young couples buying houses now, will be happy later on if their property devalues, and they are left in negative equity. ?

Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:37 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
So the person who paid $390k for a property in Nov 2007, and sold in Dec 2008 for $529k, had no sense ?

And the young couples buying houses now, will be happy later on if their property devalues, and they are left in negative equity. ?

Young couples buying new places now are subsidised by $24,000 and in some states zero stamp duty. Is that sustainable? Will KRudd maintain the higher FHOG in May or will the reality of a budget in a deteriorating economy take effect. The buyers sense or lack of and happiness is irrelevant to what happens now.

What did that person who sold for 529k do with the money? Buy somewhere more expensive and pay more stamp duty?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Only if they are forced to sell their house. If they choose to sell to "move up the ladder" they will be better off as their next house will have dropped too, less stamp duty too.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in Perth anyway 18 months ago was when the market topped out.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:38 am
ABCDiamond

Only if they are forced to sell their house. If they choose to sell to "move up the ladder" they will be better off as their next house will have dropped too, less stamp duty too.
Depending on how the banks operate, the lender may no longer be happy if the equity does not exceed the mortgage.

They would also find it difficult to move house until prices rise again, as they would not be able to pay of the first mortage to change over to the next one:

eg:
Original house $500k, mortgage $400k
prices drop to, say, $250k.
If they wish to upgrade to a $300k house, the bank will only re-lend $240k at 80%. They would be short of $160k to repay the old mortage.

Upgrading to a $400k house, and the bank will only re-lend $320k at 80%. They would still be short of $80k.

I think a lot of people would be very unhappy, except of course for the non-property owners at the time. (or should I say non-mortgage holders)

Personally I would love to see prices drop back to the 2003 situation and with 10% interest rates, but then, we are all in different situations

Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:45 am
(It's not my real name)

Personally I would love to see prices drop back to the 2003 situation and with 10% interest rates, but then, we are all in different situations
I think that's exactly what will happen. I think interest rates will begin to climb again as inflation takes hold.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's exactly what will happen. I think interest rates will begin to climb again as inflation takes hold.
Yes thats exactly whats holding me back from doing something very bold.

Although on my other board, with all the city bods, they are shocked about US Government bonds or something being fixed at 3.75 pct for the next 5 years, which is apparently unprecdented.

I suspect it has some major relevance which I'm trying to understand.

I may just ask them outright if I get the urge to push the buy button.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Never ... you're in cloud cuckoo land there.
We shall see...but then I believe real unemployment rates in Australia and the UK are probably over 10% already! The official rate excludes so many job seekers that it's really just a joke stat.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:39 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IvanM
Young couples buying new places now are subsidised by $24,000 and in some states zero stamp duty. Is that sustainable? Will KRudd maintain the higher FHOG in May or will the reality of a budget in a deteriorating economy take effect. The buyers sense or lack of and happiness is irrelevant to what happens now.

What did that person who sold for 529k do with the money? Buy somewhere more expensive and pay more stamp duty?
I personally think this first time buyers' grant is criminal. Encouraging first time buyers to commit to a mortgage on a property which, in the first place, will lose that $24,000 "value" within a couple of months.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:43 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
I personally think this first time buyers' grant is criminal. Encouraging first time buyers to commit to a mortgage on a property which, in the first place, will lose that $24,000 "value" within a couple of months.
True, the grant just pushes the price of a house by $24k.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:48 am

True, the grant just pushes the price of a house by $24k.
It pushes it up more than that due to the power of leverage when borrowing. It is no coincidence that the introduction of the FHOG when GST arrived caused an acceleration in house price rises.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:53 am

At the moment economists are more worried about deflation hence the lack of raised eyebrows when the bank of England announced the printing presses were starting. Deflation is what happened in Japan after a similiar crash at the end of the eighties. I need to read more to see what the real negatives are as Japan had negligible growth during that period of deflation. Some commentators are using the Japan experience for lessons today. BTW property prices there kept on dropping despite 0.5% interest rates.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
It was originally introduced to negate the effects of GST when it was first introduced. It then helped produce a house price spike and no politician has dared reverse it since.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:58 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We plan on selling our house around Oct-Nov of 2010 (18 months away). I'm not too bothered about our house price dropping as long as other houses drop at a similar rate. That's the key for me anyway, so I pay attention and watch what's happening in the local area.

The big problem for us would be if our area plummeted and the other areas don't. I don't see that happening though, I'm expecting an average drop compared to most other areas. Hard to say though!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
At the moment economists are more worried about deflation hence the lack of raised eyebrows when the bank of England announced the printing presses were starting. Deflation is what happened in Japan after a similiar crash at the end of the eighties. I need to read more to see what the real negatives are as Japan had negligible growth during that period of deflation. Some commentators are using the Japan experience for lessons today. BTW property prices there kept on dropping despite 0.5% interest rates.
Ah yes - Gordon Brown's "Zimbabwe Option".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.