Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

So that means that I'll be paying $400 a week for the next 25 years (I'll be 65 when it finishes). We're on over $100K household income. Rates might drop a bit more but this is about as cheap as it's going to get - and we have to add in all the taxes for the year.
If rates stay this low for 25 years which they won't. I think they will begin to climb in the medium term (in a year or two)
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:19 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

I know I've come to this thread late, but 150 posts in 5 days is unreal.

I couldn't let this statement by scamp1976 go without comment:

people are fleeing the country as work dries up, temps are being sent away , mining boom ended, credit is tightening, shares are plummeting, companies are going bust, unemployment is on the rise etc...
Which Australia is he/she living in?

The real one where the rest of us are?

Or the fantasy one talked about by the newspapers trying to scare the sh*t out of people so they keep buying newspapers to find out more?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

There is something wrong here.
Take us as an example.

We will have at best 100000 GBP from a UK house sale. This is after 13 years - so we aren't FHBs.

So this equates to a deposit of about $200K. Second step homes in Perth are supposedly about $470K - this is about what we're looking at (and some of these are advertised as FHB houses)

So, this means that we will need a mortgage of at least $270K.

At today's historically low rates that means repayments of $400 per week over 25 years.

So that means that I'll be paying $400 a week for the next 25 years (I'll be 65 when it finishes). We're on over $100K household income. Rates might drop a bit more but this is about as cheap as it's going to get - and we have to add in all the taxes for the year.

I don't think that it's as cheap as you might think. And don't forget that this is for an average house in a pretty average suburb about 20kms from the CBD for a family that has been on the housing market for a long time, with a decent family income and a big deposit.
Prices still have a long way to go down - at least in Perth.
good point,We visited Perth on holiday in 2004 when houses had supposed to have levelled off after some "modest growth".On arriving in 2006 prices had doubled due to "booming commodity prices" and "massive employment growth".These factors are disappearing quickly leaving the average perth home very overpriced.Take the $400,000 home in Perth,converted to a£173,000 uk house,in the uk outside the south east this figure will buy a well presented semi or even a detached ,in some reasonable school catchment areas.Yes in AUS you get a 4x2,but when you compare avaliable land in both countries,and you cannot compare perth with the southeast of England.Maybe comparable with a uk northern city.I chose Perth so i could have a smaller mortgage,and time to enjoy the climate,and so my kids could afford to buy a house.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Les Mighalls
I know I've come to this thread late, but 150 posts in 5 days is unreal.

I couldn't let this statement by scamp1976 go without comment:

Which Australia is he/she living in?

The real one where the rest of us are?

Or the fantasy one talked about by the newspapers trying to scare the sh*t out of people so they keep buying newspapers to find out more?
Yes, this is the common reply by homeowners desperate not to see their house values plummet. It's the writing of a 6th grader.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
good point,We visited Perth on holiday in 2004 when houses had supposed to have levelled off after some "modest growth".On arriving in 2006 prices had doubled due to "booming commodity prices" and "massive employment growth".These factors are disappearing quickly leaving the average perth home very overpriced.Take the $400,000 home in Perth,converted to a£173,000 uk house,in the uk outside the south east this figure will buy a well presented semi or even a detached ,in some reasonable school catchment areas.Yes in AUS you get a 4x2,but when you compare avaliable land in both countries,and you cannot compare perth with the southeast of England.Maybe comparable with a uk northern city.I chose Perth so i could have a smaller mortgage,and time to enjoy the climate,and so my kids could afford to buy a house.
And although there are exceptions in the UK, in my experience generally they are of a better build quality there.

I think that there are major attempts to convince us what the norm actually is.

Have a look at this house and read the description:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1236681706

Two things strike me about this house:

1. They are appealing to the first home buyer at $500K. Does anyone still in the UK believe that a 230k GBP house is first home buyer territory?

2. It's crap

Ozzieeagle - would you buy this?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

And although there are exceptions in the UK, in my experience generally they are of a better build quality there.

I think that there are major attempts to convince us what the norm actually is.

Have a look at this house and read the description:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1236681706

Two things strike me about this house:

1. They are appealing to the first home buyer at $500K. Does anyone still in the UK believe that a 230k GBP house is first home buyer territory?

2. It's crap

Ozzieeagle - would you buy this?
Nope I wouldnt.

I was going to ask do they have a 350,000 dollar market in Perth ?

This place caught my eye though, Only because I would want two living areas and a pool if I lived in Perth.

Sub 400,000 .. Whats wrong with it, is it a really bad area ?

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1236684255

Not the best looking place on the outside, I've got to admit, but I only had a quick look. That could be fixed up with 5,000 bucks worth of render. I'd use something like this example as a bottom end Bench Mark and try and find something cheaper and better.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 10th 2009 at 11:34 am.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Nope I wouldnt.

This place caught my eye though, Only because I would want two living areas and a pool if I lived in Perth.

Not the best looking place on the outside, I've got to admit, but I only had a quick look. That could be fixed up with 5,000 bucks worth of render. I'd use something like this example as a bottom end Bench Mark and try and find something cheaper and better.
$350,000 will not buy a lot in Perth
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Is dead right ...

$350K is a basic & I mean basic 4 x 2 unfinished on a block smaller than you'd like ... in a suburb that would be 10 minutes further from the city than one that you 'really' wanted ... and by a builder that, let's face it, is including bugger all for the money ...

It's still pricey, make no bones about it.

Originally Posted by Catch
$350,000 will not buy a lot in Perth
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice

good thread ... be listening from the sideline.

Like everyone here, I do dream of owning a home someday, somewhere in Melbourne. Hope by then the property market is within my reach. Cheers
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm orf to look at this place..... 2k's from the MCG max..... Whoaaa just over 1 k actually.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1236721214

600,000 so they say.... more like 700,000 but only just 700,000 so you never know.

Bloody cheap for the area, thats for sure. I'd say the price is because of Hoddle St, It maybe next to a pub or something.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 10th 2009 at 9:46 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope I wouldnt.

The cycnic in me would say that there would have to be something wrong with it. Suburb is not the best but it is close to the city centre.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking the property will appeal to the blind ... the bathroom is in braille.

I'm orf to look at this place..... 2k's from the MCG max..... Whoaaa just over 1 k actually.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1236721214

600,000 so they say.... more like 700,000 but only just 700,000 so you never know.

Bloody cheap for the area, thats for sure. I'd say the price is because of Hoddle St, It maybe next to a pub or something.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I've always wondered about the comment that 'because so many immigrants are coming, demand exceeds supply, therefore house prices can't fall'.

They were saying the same in the UK up until recently.

I suppose too it depends how loaded the immigrants actually are. If they are coming over as millionaires then yes perhaps that would keep growth going. However, I would suspect that most immigrants aren't and surely there has to be a point when it doesn't matter how many immigrants are coming - they can't afford anywhere.

Perhaps a better method to track how immigrants are affecting the property market is to look at how the median wage of Australia is changing due to immigration (if it is increasing then perhaps this would justify house prices)

Just a thought that isn't meant to start a slanging match
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:39 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The budget must be under strain to be considering this.
http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...-31037,00.html
THE Federal Government won't commit to extending higher grants for first-home buyers beyond the end of June.
The higher grants - part of the Government's first stimulus package - appear to have prompted a surge in housing finance, according to data released today.

Housing finance figures showed home loans to owner occupiers rose by 3.5 per cent in January.

First-time home buyers made up 26.5 per cent of the market.

Last year's stimulus package doubled the first home buyer grant for established homes to $14,000 and tripled it to $21,000 for newly-built dwellings.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I've always wondered about the comment that 'because so many immigrants are coming, demand exceeds supply, therefore house prices can't fall'.

They were saying the same in the UK up until recently.

I suppose too it depends how loaded the immigrants actually are. If they are coming over as millionaires then yes perhaps that would keep growth going. However, I would suspect that most immigrants aren't and surely there has to be a point when it doesn't matter how many immigrants are coming - they can't afford anywhere.

Perhaps a better method to track how immigrants are affecting the property market is to look at how the median wage of Australia is changing due to immigration (if it is increasing then perhaps this would justify house prices)

Just a thought that isn't meant to start a slanging match

I would be very suprised if the median wage had risen due to immigrants, infact I seem to remember the Government specifically letting more immigrants in to help keep the wages on an even keel in order to keep inflation down. Go figure everything we need rises except wages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.