Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:32 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

Originally Posted by Pearl&Wal
Also ABCDiamond again makes some interesting points however the growth of AUS 1.2% of a population of 21 million against the UK's 0.22% from a population of 65 million makes the actual number a lot closer than it would at first appear.
If Australia built as many houses as the UK does, there would be no shortage of houses here.

There would however be a shortage of builders to build them

Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
May 2008 Full-time ADULT total average earnings
QLD average wages
$62,119.20 Male
$51,266.80 Female
(Trend Estimates before the addition of the 9% Super)
According to the ABS, those in Brisbane earn about 11% more than the average QLD wage, so they are probably nearer $69,000 average.

In Pine Rivers, it is about 4% more, so maybe about $65,000

Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future

Actual quoted average earnings are:

Australia
$66,232.40 Male
$53,414.40 Female

QLD average wages
$62,119.20 Male
$51,266.80 Female

When I was a first home buyer, most families only had one income in the household, and house was about 3 or 4 times the annual income.

These days, many households have two incomes, and using the QLD average wage figures of about $113,000 per year, a $440,000 house is a multiple of about 4 times the household income.

Things have changed, but we continue spending up to the maximum that we can, so that things never seem to change

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

That will include mining and Brisbane though.

No way the average wage on the Sunshine Coast is $62k - i work in recruitment and i can catagorically tell you it's no where near that figure.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pearl&Wal
Lies, damn lies and statistics.

That will include mining and Brisbane though.

No way the average wage on the Sunshine Coast is $62k - i work in recruitment and i can catagorically tell you it's no where near that figure.
Isnt that a bit like living around Norwich or Great Yarmouth or Between Rhyl and Liverpool and saying no way is the average wage in the UK 28,000 pounds ?

Especially when that average is boosted by the London average of 40,000 pounds ?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:46 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Australian banks do not have the exposure to the US CDO that have affected others, especially the European investment banks. Australian banks are currently in profit and predicting profits. There are increased provisions for bad debts.

The danger for the Australian banks is that the Australian economy deteriorates worse than expected and the bad debts become more significant. They also have the government guarantee to fall back on which worries me as it may encourage irresponsible lending.

I have heard a number of reasons why the banks here have not been hit as hard. IMO the one that has had the biggest affect is that in the early nineties Westpac nearly went the way of Northern Rock. Supervision by APRA was significantly tightened. A few years ago non bank lenders were gaining significant ground on the banks. The banks responded by relaxing their lending criteria. APRA pulled them back in line and we all know what has happened to RAMS, Wizard etc.

You also identify investment firms. Some of these are adept in the Alan Bond school of finance. Raptis, City Pacific etc just seem to burn investors cash. They are not banks.

The biggest two failures in finance have been Allco and B&B. The former went into administration and the latter is now owned by the banks. May the clearup carry on.

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm by no means an expert on finance, but it depends what you mean by "capitalised". If a very significant percentage of a bank's asset base is invested in loans on housing, and repossessions climb dramatically (as they are going to) the fact that the cash is "backed by bricks and mortar" becomes less appealing. We see it around here, where investment firms are having to sell repossessed housing and are unable to move it at a fraction of previous valuations. My final rental was one of six, repossessed from the developer and they have been on the market for 18 months at a 30% discount to valuation. The investment company did the repossessions, then - when they couldn't recover the investment - went belly-up and the administrators are now trying to flog them, all the while paying out the running costs.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Isnt that a bit like living around Norwich or Great Yarmouth or Between Rhyl and Liverpool and saying no way is the average wage in the UK 28,000 pounds ?

Especially when that average is boosted by the London average of 40,000 pounds ?
Those would be holiday homes then. They are certainly coming down in price in Australia.

The other thing for certain is that wage growth will be suppressed and unemployment is on the rise. The main job creation I have seen is in retail (Woolworths) and PIzza (Dominos). Mining to retail. 100k to 35k.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:55 pm

The only hole in that theory is that until June 2007 even an Alan Bond bank could have got capital.

Another theory from a former RBA chairman is that the four pillars policy held them up.

I outlined my opinion above.
Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
This is interesting - I read the other day that the only reason that Australian banks aren't in the same deep doo-doo that US and UK banks are iin s because they didnt have the available capital to invest in the same dodgy loans.

If they had have, they would have and they would now be in the same pickle.

All kind of ironic don't you think?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Exactly, State wage averages in the mining states are irrelevent due to those micro-economies. The Average wage in a mining area (or atleast up until recently) would be far higher than the rest of Regional QLD - same in WA i'd suspect.

IMO, it's the regional average wage that's important when determining whether house prices are over valued in that area.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:18 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
You also identify investment firms. Some of these are adept in the Alan Bond school of finance. Raptis, City Pacific etc just seem to burn investors cash. They are not banks.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that they *were* banks, only that the investment in bricks and mortar isn't necessarily a surefire bet. Hastings Capital was the outfit that financed our six-villa development, and I well remember phoning the CEO when they repossessed them, and threatened eviction, to tell him exactly that. He would have nothing of it, saying that housing was always a solid investment. Now they are in receivership and his investors have lost most of their money.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:33 pm

Unemployment went up yesterday and more soundings indicating an end to the increased FHOG. The FHOG may get a last minute reprieve.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:35 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Unemployment went up yesterday and more soundings indicating an end to the increased FHOG. The FHOG may get a last minute reprieve.
I wonder whether I should be hoping it will or won't. How much impact do you think it's demise would have?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Actual quoted average earnings are:

Australia
$66,232.40 Male
$53,414.40 Female

QLD average wages
$62,119.20 Male
$51,266.80 Female

When I was a first home buyer, most families only had one income in the household, and house was about 3 or 4 times the annual income.

These days, many households have two incomes, and using the QLD average wage figures of about $113,000 per year, a $440,000 house is a multiple of about 4 times the household income.

Things have changed, but we continue spending up to the maximum that we can, so that things never seem to change
Just out of interest is there a reason why average wage, and not median wage, is given? Or does the government here prefer average because it's probably higher than the median and therefore sounds better?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I wonder whether I should be hoping it will or won't. How much impact do you think it's demise would have?
On the new housing market a massive impact. It is the bulk of the deposit for new buyers in that market. When you consider the 5% equity requirement by banks you can see that leverage the 24,000 has over 7,000.

The impact will be on units and townhouses in the sub 500k market and housing in the less expensive areas.

7k is 5% of 140000
24k is 5% of 480000

I still do not think the increased FHOG is dead but the indications are that the government budget is a lot tougher.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:22 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

On the new housing market a massive impact. It is the bulk of the deposit for new buyers in that market. When you consider the 5% equity requirement by banks you can see that leverage the 24,000 has over 7,000.

The impact will be on units and townhouses in the sub 500k market and housing in the less expensive areas.

7k is 5% of 140000
24k is 5% of 480000

I still do not think the increased FHOG is dead but the indications are that the government budget is a lot tougher.
I reckon it is pretty safe to assume that reducing the FHOG from $21/14 back down to $7k, will see an immediate corresponding drop in prices of approx $7k to $14k, in the market you describe.

Personally I think that this would be a "real" drop, because when this scheme was introduced I don't think we saw prices of first homes suddenly increase to compensate for the FHOG increase...
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by asprilla
I reckon it is pretty safe to assume that reducing the FHOG from $21/14 back down to $7k, will see an immediate corresponding drop in prices of approx $7k to $14k, in the market you describe.

Personally I think that this would be a "real" drop, because when this scheme was introduced I don't think we saw prices of first homes suddenly increase to compensate for the FHOG increase...
I think the drop will be greater. It will be hard to tell how much is down to the FHOG and unemployment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.