Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:24 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If the recession bites do you think housing will plummet?

Originally Posted by Devlin
OK people. Let's start thinking 15-20% unemployment, falling wages, immigration dropping to almost zero & banks tightening lending much further.

There is a high probability that we are entering a period of economic contraction that will be equal to, if not worse than the 1930s Great Depression.

It's laughable to me that anyone seriously think Australian property prices will hold up!
Quite apart from all the other economic problems, there are lots of unintended consequences building up.

One example: thousands of folk are possibly being drawn into the housing market by the FHOG and very low interest rates. But at some stage, interest rates are going to rise substantially: many will find that they can no longer afford the repayments and repossessions will rise.

I think the situation we're in is unprecedented, quite unlike the thirties. Interesting times.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:34 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You might find these official figures interesting....

From March 2002 to March 2008
The Median Price of Established House Transfers increased by:
151% Hobart
146% Perth
123% Brisbane
120% Darwin
115% Adelaide
95% Canberrra
68% Melbourne
48% Sydney

These price movements ignore the new house market, and give a real indication of "existing" house stock movements, rather than the new McMansions being built for these first home buyers, which have artificially inflated median prices.

Normally, those that go up higher, have further to fall.........

I have some figures somewhere that show the 1980 prices for each city, i'll try to did them out. The comparison to today would be interesting.
You would also have to plot against average income to get something meaningful and for Sydney go back further. Another hard thing for Sydney is that it is multiple markets. There is the Eastern market which I define as Northern Burbs, Beaches, City, Inner West, Eastern Burbs, Ste George and some of the Shire. There are few ways to add to the housing stock other than subdivision and apartment blocks. Then there is the rest including the hills, Western and SW Sydney. Supply can be added to and there is not the proximity to the jobs of the CBD. The fundamentals mean that housing will only rise with the income of the areas unless supply increases.

A big wealth driver of SE QLD has been the influx of migrants. Add in the increase in resources wealth and it is sustainable as the wealth is there to provide infrastructure. The latest QLD budget figures show what has happened to that wealth. Lets hope Brisbane does not do what is happening in Perth.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:53 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scamp1976
See for detailed discussion about this : www.globalhousepricecrash.com

Yes, houseprices will crash 60% from now to bottom, I am 100% sure of this.
It is a rather dubious statement be 100% sure of something that is absolutely 100% unpredictable.

Just an observation !
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:41 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Quite apart from all the other economic problems, there are lots of unintended consequences building up.

One example: thousands of folk are possibly being drawn into the housing market by the FHOG and very low interest rates. But at some stage, interest rates are going to rise substantially: many will find that they can no longer afford the repayments and repossessions will rise.

I think the situation we're in is unprecedented, quite unlike the thirties. Interesting times.
Interesting also that low interest rate period we are now in affects different countries in different ways.

Unlike other countries a majority of Australian mortgages are variable and therefore taking advantage of the downward period. Others are fixed and therefore ####d
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IvanM
Another hard thing for Sydney is that it is multiple markets.
I agree, and that is something that should be emphasised more, including the fact that Australia itself consists of many multiple markets.

I was doing some figures earlier on, after reading the Financial Review
Smart Investor Nov 2008.

A report in the above magazine shows the property price performance in the following areas:

Dover Heights, Sydney East:
Units have increased at an average of 12.32% pa for the last 14 years, and have increased by 137.29% in total over the last 3 years.

Fairfield, Sydney South West:
Units have increased at an average of 7.01% pa for the last 14 years, but have reduced by 33.94% in total over the last 3 years

and for Brisbane:

Point Lookout, Brisbane East:
Units have increased at an average of 30.6% pa for the last 14 years, and have increased by 293.87% in total over the last 3 years.

Coppers Plains, Brisbane West:
Units have increased at an average of 8.83% pa for the last 14 years, but have reduced by 26.39% in total over the last 3 years

There are some big variances in each capital city.

WA varied between 30.5% pa over the 14 years to 1.8% pa over the same period, in different suburbs.

Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, and that is something that should be emphasised more, including the fact that Australia itself consists of many multiple markets.

I was doing some figures earlier on, after reading the Financial Review
Smart Investor Nov 2008.

A report in the above magazine shows the property price performance in the following areas:

Dover Heights, Sydney East:
Units have increased at an average of 12.32% pa for the last 14 years, and have increased by 137.29% in total over the last 3 years.

Fairfield, Sydney South West:
Units have increased at an average of 7.01% pa for the last 14 years, but have reduced by 33.94% in total over the last 3 years

and for Brisbane:

Point Lookout, Brisbane East:
Units have increased at an average of 30.6% pa for the last 14 years, and have increased by 293.87% in total over the last 3 years.

Coppers Plains, Brisbane West:
Units have increased at an average of 8.83% pa for the last 14 years, but have reduced by 26.39% in total over the last 3 years

There are some big variances in each capital city.

WA varied between 30.5% pa over the 14 years to 1.8% pa over the same period, in different suburbs.

Similar thing happening in Melbourne. The trend seems to be the gap between the top end of the Market and the bottom end seems to be narrowing dramatically. The middle seems to be maintaining the status quo, or dropping very slightly.

So looks like it is the FHOG that is keeping the market going.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

You be the judge then...
The first one is one from the USA
The second one is from Australia.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:27 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scamp1976
You be the judge then...
The first one is one from the USA
The second one is from Australia.
I never look at graphs without taking into account the overall context. That's just me though, go figure !

Here's the full RBA speech that makes reference that Australian 'Real House Prices and Fundamentals graph'.

http://www.rba.gov.au/Speeches/2008/sp_so_270308.html

It's good reading for anyone interested, but needs to be done over a decent coffee break to fully absorb.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:48 pm
ABCDiamond

What about this one...

• UK, Ireland, Canada and NZ are all still rising
  • USA and Australia have both already dropped.
  • Australia began to drop in 2003
  • USA began to drop in 2005

I just noticed that my graph is also shown in downunderpaddy's link

Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I think I know who scamp1976 is, it is eatstatic reborn under yet another username

Do a search for him, he did the same doom and gloom posts a few years ago.
Always banging on about how house prices are set to crash
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jond
I think I know who scamp1976 is, it is eatstatic reborn under yet another username

Do a search for him, he did the same doom and gloom posts a few years ago.
Always banging on about how house prices are set to crash
I was on a different forum in 2003, and I remember one guy saying that prices in Brisbane were about to drop 50%, and that he had sold up in anticipation.

As I was buying in Brisbane at the time I was a bit concerned. I always wondered what happened to him...

Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:31 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a bargin house, are cashed up (most poms are when first coming over) come to the Gold Coast - the only downside is the pretty strong aroma wafting over the area of burnt fingers!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
We're in no position to buy at the moment and realistically we'd need the market to drop by about 25% to buy round these parts, which would obviously be awful for everyone but us if it did happen BUT if you were laying a bet- what do you think will happen to the market in NSW over the next year or two? Would you buy now?

I know it's all speculation but I've got time to kill atm ...
no matter what happens, even if the whole world crashes around, house prices in australia will continue to rise, or at worst move sideways for a couple of years. it's all about the lifestyle and beaches. and fresh vegetables
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Carbery
If you want a bargin house, are cashed up (most poms are when first coming over) come to the Gold Coast - the only downside is the pretty strong aroma wafting over the area of burnt fingers!
If you live in Helensvale, Gold Coast, then Units in that area have dropped by 40% in the last 3 years.

However, units in Highland Park, in the Gold Coast, has risen by 376% in that same period.

Which bit of the Gold Coast are you referring to ?

Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:19 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in Helensvale, Gold Coast, then Units in that area have dropped by 40% in the last 3 years.

However, units in Highland Park, in the Gold Coast, has risen by 376% in that same period.

Which bit of the Gold Coast are you referring to ?

I am making a general off the cuff statement based on my experience of speaking to customers in my business (the customer counter in my daily report stated 548 people passed through yesterday), with there experiences of the housing market locally - our business is in Clear Island Waters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.