Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I love Oz, partner hates it, is there a way forward?

Wikiposts

I love Oz, partner hates it, is there a way forward?

Old May 16th 2007, 2:25 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love Oz, partner hates it, is there a way forward?

Originally Posted by northernbird
Do you race the wine cruise boats?
I tried to race the Freo-Rotto ferry last weekend! But quickly gave up on that idea
Old May 16th 2007, 6:44 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nah - you've both got the wrong end of the stick. I've been slagged off in there on many an occasion (rightfully so on several ) because I'm not 'Moving back' and therefore what am I doing in a 'Moving back' forum arguing the toss with folks that are 'Moving back'. You guys don't fit into that category either (one of you at least ... ), as you have now 'Moved back ...' You're no longer an expat etc etc.

And yes, it does help to be sad and miserable if you want to come on here, because you'll probably end that way by the time you log-out anyway.
The Moving Back forum is "for members who have moved or are moving back to the UK" so as I have moved back I guess I do fit into that category.

It just strikes me as strange that so many people spend so much time on here (Oz forum) telling everyone about their fab lives in Oz, how wonderful and perfect it all is etc. etc. and yet if someone dares come on here and say they have a fab life in the UK, they are questioned about why they are on here

They must be telling lies and just pretending they are happy

I find it very confusing that people who are happy in Oz, just cant understand that people can and do have great lives in the UK. I can perfectly understand that some people would love living in Oz, some like France, some like Spain etc etc., It's all about personal choice, what you like doing, where you feel happy and comfortable.

Why does it matter so much to others that some of us love the UK and want to be here? I've seen it all on this forum, the name calling, the slatings and hassle that people get just because they don't like living in Oz. I can't understand why people can't just accept that not everyone likes the same things in life.

Originally Posted by worzel
Because we are bored at work, sitting here wishing we were at home living our fantastic new lives in non-boring Perth
I believe you
Old May 16th 2007, 7:30 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
It just strikes me as strange that so many people spend so much time on here (Oz forum) telling everyone about their fab lives in Oz, how wonderful and perfect it all is etc. etc. and yet if someone dares come on here and say they have a fab life in the UK, they are questioned about why they are on here
It would strike me as strange too ... if it happened the way you suggest. Where all these utopian threads people make about their perfect lives here? Generally speaking people use these forums for problem solving, especially in this very section of the site. I mean, click on that Australia link above and show me all these Oz-is-paradise threads, because all I can see is a lot of people who are either having problems and want advice or just have general questions - ermmm, somewhat like this very thread before it wandered off at a tangent at about this point.

They must be telling lies and just pretending they are happy
Or maybe 'they' don't exist, except in the minds of folks who seem to spend valuable time coming up with derogatory ways of describing 'us' saddos in here - 'godzoners', 'dingos', 'oz cult' ... think I've heard 'em all now.

I find it very confusing that people who are happy in Oz, just cant understand that people can and do have great lives in the UK.
I find it confusing too. I groan every time I see such threads in the MB2 section - but on the whole, they're from people who are new to the site or in the first throes of emigration. Doesn't excuse it, does explain it.

Why does it matter so much to others that some of us love the UK and want to be here? I've seen it all on this forum, the name calling, the slatings and hassle that people get just because they don't like living in Oz. I can't understand why people can't just accept that not everyone likes the same things in life.
The problems start when people make sweeping statements based purely on their personal experiences and their little bit of Australia and damn the whole country and everyone that lives in it in the process. Those that do like it here couldn't honestly give a tuppeny-bit if others don't like it - as you say, not everyone likes the same things in life. However what I, and others do object to, is this whole 'Australia is shit and here's why' sort of thread. I've yet to read one of those threads that reflects my (far from perfect) life because they're about someone else, living somewhere else, doing another job, drinking in other pubs, going to other beaches, sending their kids to other schools, meeting other people and doing other things. Strikes me that the only people who have problems accepting things round here are the unhappy folks who think that because their life's shit, everyone else's must be too.
Old May 16th 2007, 7:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

Or maybe 'they' don't exist, except in the minds of folks who seem to spend valuable time coming up with derogatory ways of describing 'us' saddos in here - 'godzoners', 'dingos', 'oz cult' ... think I've heard 'em all now.

You've missed out 'Loaf stealers'.

G
Old May 16th 2007, 7:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
That was my personal favourite.
Old May 16th 2007, 7:59 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
lol - my bad ...