Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I love Oz, partner hates it, is there a way forward?

Wikiposts

I love Oz, partner hates it, is there a way forward?

Old May 16th 2007, 3:14 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love Oz, partner hates it, is there a way forward?

Originally Posted by Hutch
Sorry, but ....

Sensing a bit of history there - lol. But, as a matter of interest Louise - let me put the question to you - since you've now made the move back to the UK and are, by all accounts, having trouble wiping the smile of joy off your face - why do you spend so much time in there? Yes, I know all the stuff about keeping in touch with people and supporting others etc etc .. but if life's one non-stop conga-line of ecstacy back in blighty ...
Hi Hutch - the two aren't mutually exclusive - you can 'chat' on BE AND have a good, happy life

I too am very happy back in Blighty but do seem to be spending quite a bit of time on here, a bit like Seasprite - I think I'm a bit addicted (not healthy - mental note to self - stop spending so much time on computer and do a bit more housework - it has definitely been neglected since finding BE!!) but also on a more serious note it has been great to find others that actually feel like me and can empaphise and identify with me - albeit faceless people behind a PC.

For me it has been so refreshing to know that others (and seemingly intelligent, normal, nice people) have also found life in Oz was not for them (for whatever reason) - I guess posting and reading on BE has given me a bit of an epiphany about my migration experience, before I felt a bit of a failure but now......was I glad we went - totally, did I learn a lot about myself and my life - totally, was I glad we came back to the UK - totally, am I glad I have found like minded people on BE and spend a few moments each day checking out what they have to say.....TOTALLY!!
Old May 16th 2007, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Hi Hutch - the two aren't mutually exclusive - you can 'chat' on BE AND have a good, happy life

I too am very happy back in Blighty but do seem to be spending quite a bit of time on here, a bit like Seasprite - I think I'm a bit addicted (not healthy - mental note to self - stop spending so much time on computer and do a bit more housework - it has definitely been neglected since finding BE!!) but also on a more serious note it has been great to find others that actually feel like me and can empaphise and identify with me - albeit faceless people behind a PC.

For me it has been so refreshing to know that others (and seemingly intelligent, normal, nice people) have also found life in Oz was not for them (for whatever reason) - I guess posting and reading on BE has given me a bit of an epiphany about my migration experience, before I felt a bit of a failure but now......was I glad we went - totally, did I learn a lot about myself and my life - totally, was I glad we came back to the UK - totally, am I glad I have found like minded people on BE and spend a few moments each day checking out what they have to say.....TOTALLY!!
I have to agree, it has helped me accept our situation and feel less stoopid! But as we are still in limbo land a little bit I spend time on here. After all BE has helped me through the entire experience over a 2.5 year period. I am hoping once settled properly I can kick the habit...and move on
Old May 16th 2007, 5:39 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Im a bit confused here Danny. Perhaps you could let us all know what you would like to see people talk about on the Moving Back to the UK Forum just to make you happy while you are in the process of moving back

You complain that people on the Moving Back to the UK Forum writing about wanting to go home

You moan about people on the Moving Back to the UK Forum asking questions about what it's like in the UK

You whinge about people on the Moving Back to the UK Forum giving their opinions of what life in the UK is like. And then you have the cheek to call us liars because we dare to have a nice life here and because we like it

And just as a matter of interest, why do you spend so much time in there?

Well I am a reformed character now and I haven't looked (and will not be) in there for a few days now.
The reason I did go in there was to get a feeling of how many were returning from Canada, I'm pleased to say over the 3-4 months I looked it was only a handful.

It strikes me that for people who are unahppy in Australia, the first place they turn for help is the MBTUK forum which is visited by other unhappy people in the same situation. You can imagine the results...not a particularly good place to go when you are homesick.

I think the MBTUK forum should be for exactly what it says Moving back to the UK after a long spell abroad can be very daunting. Share your experiences or ask a question.
and create another forum dedicated to people with severe homesickness verging on depression and in need of support, perhaps even getting some professional advice from qualified members.
All the Oz bashers should 'Take it Outside'

Last edited by Danny B; May 16th 2007 at 5:41 am.
Old May 16th 2007, 6:39 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Sorry, but ....

Sensing a bit of history there - lol. But, as a matter of interest Louise - let me put the question to you - since you've now made the move back to the UK and are, by all accounts, having trouble wiping the smile of joy off your face - why do you spend so much time in there? Yes, I know all the stuff about keeping in touch with people and supporting others etc etc .. but if life's one non-stop conga-line of ecstacy back in blighty ...
Same reason that all of those happy people in Oz come on here I guess

By your reasoning, everyone who enjoys Oz shouldn't be on here then?

Do you have to be sad and miserable to come on BE?

Last edited by LouiseD; May 16th 2007 at 6:50 am.
Old May 16th 2007, 6:48 am

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Well I am a reformed character now and I haven't looked (and will not be) in there for a few days now.
The reason I did go in there was to get a feeling of how many were returning from Canada, I'm pleased to say over the 3-4 months I looked it was only a handful.

It strikes me that for people who are unahppy in Australia, the first place they turn for help is the MBTUK forum which is visited by other unhappy people in the same situation. You can imagine the results...not a particularly good place to go when you are homesick.

I think the MBTUK forum should be for exactly what it says Moving back to the UK after a long spell abroad can be very daunting. Share your experiences or ask a question.
and create another forum dedicated to people with severe homesickness verging on depression and in need of support, perhaps even getting some professional advice from qualified members.
All the Oz bashers should 'Take it Outside'

I don't actually see as much Oz bashing in there as UK bashing elsewhere. Pot and kettle spring to mind here

I see people who are confused, upset and worried that they can't return to the country they love (jobs, partners, kids etc). I also see people who are anxious about moving back to the UK because they have seen, read and heard horror stories about the UK, which to fair do exist but they also exist in other countries but aren't publicised as much.

The Moving Back forum helped me so much last year when I went through a really bad time in Oz. There is so much support there and people are genuinely caring and helpful and despite their anguish still maintain a great sense of humour, so please don't judge them until you have been through a similar experience.
Old May 16th 2007, 7:38 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm happy that the forum helped you through your rough patch, I'm not judging anyone, I know exactly what homesickness is like. My Wife went through two years of absolutely hating this country (UK) when I dragged her away from Canada to be with me here. It's amazing how you change over time, as they say time heals and now she loves the place but now I want to go back to Canada!
Old May 16th 2007, 8:18 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

[/I] and create another forum dedicated to people with severe homesickness verging on depression and in need of support, perhaps even getting some professional advice from qualified members.
I think I've just found my new job in Australia
Old May 16th 2007, 9:03 am

Well I'm happy that the forum helped you through your rough patch, I'm not judging anyone, I know exactly what homesickness is like. My Wife went through two years of absolutely hating this country (UK) when I dragged her away from Canada to be with me here. It's amazing how you change over time, as they say time heals and now she loves the place but now I want to go back to Canada!
Your wife is obviously a wise woman then
Old May 16th 2007, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No, just sad will do
Old May 16th 2007, 10:59 am
stevie p

steveparker has a brilliant futuresteveparker has a brilliant futuresteveparker has a brilliant futuresteveparker has a brilliant futuresteveparker has a brilliant futuresteveparker has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Crops
Just curious but how come out of all these cases 95% of them is that it is the wife/mother who is unhappy?

I always thought that if the family is happy the mother is happy. It seems an infinately better life for the children in Oz, better weather, More Sports, Outdoor lifestyle, much better diet etc

Sorry I just think its a bit of a selfish attitude to disrupt the partners life and the kids lives just for one person. OK, if the majority of the family are unhappy I can understand, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice 3 people's happiness just for my own.

This is just my opinion however as I arrive in Oz on 3rd June and I don't know how things are going to turn out and if I'll like it or not?
More sports- yes

Better food- no, fresher and better choice in the UK and fairly stable prices

More out door- no, we walked every day in the UK but not here .too hot....but lovely in the sea on my boogie board

It's not what we thought it would be like but we are going to do three years ( done 8 months) and then decide what we and two lads 19&17 by then want to do
Old May 16th 2007, 11:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
By your reasoning, everyone who enjoys Oz shouldn't be on here then?

Nah - you've both got the wrong end of the stick. I've been slagged off in there on many an occasion (rightfully so on several ) because I'm not 'Moving back' and therefore what am I doing in a 'Moving back' forum arguing the toss with folks that are 'Moving back'. You guys don't fit into that category either (one of you at least ... ), as you have now 'Moved back ...' You're no longer an expat etc etc.

And yes, it does help to be sad and miserable if you want to come on here, because you'll probably end that way by the time you log-out anyway.
Old May 16th 2007, 12:04 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Same reason that all of those happy people in Oz come on here I guess
Because we are bored at work, sitting here wishing we were at home living our fantastic new lives in non-boring Perth
Old May 16th 2007, 12:07 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Because we are bored at work, sitting here wishing we were at home living our fantastic new lives in non-boring Perth
Lovely day for boating
Old May 16th 2007, 12:10 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Lovely day for boating
Please don't! I am in a new office two days a week overlooking the Swan River. It is like a mill pond out there. I'd love to hitch her up, drive down to Matilda Bay and go hooning on the river at 30 knots.
Old May 16th 2007, 12:12 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Please don't! I am in a new office two days a week overlooking the Swan River. It is like a mill pond out there. I'd love to hitch her up, drive down to Matilda Bay and go hooning on the river at 30 knots.
Do you race the wine cruise boats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.