Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
So one of these things couldn't bring a plane down then?
Well not the one that killed Bin Laden's second goat when it kicked it.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:45 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by njk435
The chances of hitting a commercial airliner would be very slim.
But possible.

It would be possible to target a low flying commercial airplane which in turn could potentially crash into a bridge or building.

A direct hit might be too simple

Alternatively, as Arkon says, terrorists could use it as a doorstop
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:50 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Alternatively, as Arkon says, terrorists could use it as a doorstop
Sounds like that would be just about all it would be good for based on what some of the defenders of the faith have to say. I don't care what anyone says if you fire an RPG at a crowd it's going to kill or mame people, and all the defence of the poor security will mean squat to the victims, so let's beef up security and if the army can't secure it's own weapons maybe they shouldn't have them.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:57 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
Sounds like that would be just about all it would be good for based on what some of the defenders of the faith have to say. I don't care what anyone says if you fire an RPG at a crowd it's going to kill or mame people, and all the defence of the poor security will mean squat to the victims, so let's beef up security and if the army can't secure it's own weapons maybe they shouldn't have them.
Yes, but realistically terrorists aren't going to risk being caught or even waste precious missiles on a few people. More likely they will want to cause massive infrastructure damage and kill as many people as poss.

Also, like others have said Arkon, this happens to all armed forces albeit there are stricter guidelines now due to world terrorism. There's unscrupulous practice going on all over the world

</IMG>
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

and if the army can't secure it's own weapons maybe they shouldn't have them.
Next you'll say that if the police and internal security can't stop terrorism then we shouldn't have police forces.

Maybe people who read sci-fi books and go to gunclubs should not have them either! A very worrying combination in my experience.

I think a bit of pragmatism is required here.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care what anyone says if you fire an RPG at a crowd it's going to kill or mame people
Yes but there are LOTS of ways to hurt people, and most of them require much less effort than stealing RPGs. For example, you could get a job in an expensive restaurant and poison the food. Or you could sell toxic drugs - thus turning a profit too. Or you could tamper with the brakes on people's bikes whilst they were locked up. I could go on but I am worrying myself at how easy it is to think of these things.

Fortunately the vast majority of people are peaceful and trustworthy. In my opinion those who want to hurt others will do so anyway, RPGs or no.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:14 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Next you'll say that if the police and internal security can't stop terrorism then we shouldn't have police forces.

Maybe people who read sci-fi books and go to gunclubs should not have them either! A very worrying combination in my experience.

I think a bit of pragmatism is required here.
You keep on about sci-fi books like it's a bad thing. would you prefur I read mills and boon? I'm just glad I can read, gives me something to do as I add another chalk day marker to the wall.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:15 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by esperanza
Yes but there are LOTS of ways to hurt people, and most of them require much less effort than stealing RPGs. For example, you could get a job in an expensive restaurant and poison the food. Or you could sell toxic drugs - thus turning a profit too. Or you could tamper with the brakes on people's bikes whilst they were locked up. I could go on but I am worrying myself at how easy it is to think of these things.

Fortunately the vast majority of people are peaceful and trustworthy. In my opinion those who want to hurt others will do so anyway, RPGs or no.
So is it ok to have lax security at armouries then? If it's nothing to worry about why do they lock the doors? Why can't we all have one?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

Looks like they've caught the guy:

A Sydney man charged with supplying stolen rocket launchers has been denied bail.

Taha Abdul Rahman, 28, was arrested last week and charged with 17 offences relating to seven rocket launchers allegedly stolen from the Australian Defence Force.

[...]

His barrister, William Brewer, argued there was a danger that the provisions of the act pertaining to the case would get lost in the hysteria surrounding the subject of rocket launchers.

But Magistrate Allan Moore refused to grant bail, saying he was concerned about allegations Abdul Rahman had the capacity to source weapons of this nature and move them on to the criminal element.

The accused will reappear in court next month.
ABC.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

I don't care what anyone says
The feeling is mutual.

if you fire an RPG at a crowd it's going to kill or mame people
Agreed. They are bloody dangerous, even in the hands of an idiot.

You've misspelled "maim", by the way.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:42 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The feeling is mutual.

Agreed. They are bloody dangerous, even in the hands of an idiot.

You've misspelled "maim", by the way.
As always your level of debate is clear, take part of a sentance and quote it out of context and point out spelling mistakes. Personally I wouldn't have expected anything more from you except may be a google search and a hyperlink to try and prove me wrong..Oh wait you did that in the previous post didn't you.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Arkon, I don't think security is lax in ADF bases, I think they are at a level where soldiers can go about their daily business without having the burden of too many checks and barriers.
The problem is that any security system can be breached with sufficient inside help.
If every dangerous item was protected to the standard of the British Crown Jewels, we wouldn't have an Army trained to defend us, the weapons would never see the light of day, which is pointless.
The fact that the theft was detected shows that checks and balances were in place.
Of course it is not OK for weapons to be stolen and lessons will be learned and acted on.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:53 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by njk435
Arkon, I don't think security is lax in ADF bases, I think they are at a level where soldiers can go about their daily business without having the burden of too many checks and barriers.
The problem is that any security system can be breached with sufficient inside help.
If every dangerous item was protected to the standard of the British Crown Jewels, we wouldn't have an Army trained to defend us, the weapons would never see the light of day, which is pointless.
The fact that the theft was detected shows that checks and balances were in place.
Of course it is not OK for weapons to be stolen and lessons will be learned and acted on.
True, lets just hope they get them all back. Anyway I think this thread has gone it's course now. Not much to add really.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

So is it ok to have lax security at armouries then? If it's nothing to worry about why do they lock the doors? Why can't we all have one?
No, that's not what I said. The point is that there is no way to have total maximum security that could prevent anyone from ever hurting anyone else.