Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:14 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

Originally Posted by jond
If you take time to study the whole campaign, it can be seen that a lot of the Australian attacks, not all but a lot were on the orders of senior Australian Officers.

Very few senior British or Australian officers came out of Gallipoli with much credit.
Remind me again how we got from stolen rubber round firing RPG's to Gallipoli? I've forgotten and my IE7 wont show me the begining of the thread!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Remind me again how we got from stolen rubber round firing RPG's to Gallipoli? I've forgotten and my IE7 wont show me the begining of the thread!

Dunno really
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The reality for sci-fi dreamers and walts like Arkon is that all armies are all perfect androids who do 'missions' and have armouries full of hundreds of weapons they can 'choose' from. It's all expertise gleaned from comic books and film. lol.

Most people know:

i) all armed forces are not immune to error or criminal elements - the job reflects
human nature in some ways more. It always makes me laugh when the papers discuss military ops in general.
ii) Sweeping generalisation - Australian military personnel are as respected as British personnel in many theatres partly because they model closely on the Brit system like frankly many countries do. In some roles I would imagine the Aussie bushman to be a model soldier.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
They have to....they keep losing things
Grayling; there is a sizeable criminal element in many armies. There are drug problems etc. Senior offrs often lament the change in attitude of new soldiers and there is debate on whether this reflects changing societies etc etc.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was just contemplating this when I put my daughter to bed.

The real worth of an army can often be approximately determined by other i) armys' opinion of it and it's approx standing in a kind of world subjective ranking (with some allowances and adjustments made here and there) ii) it's recent deployments and overall operational experience
iii) it's society

i) australian (especially SF) forces are respected
ii) Brit forces have experience over many theatres and role types - both living and recent and some generations in the making. eg modern jungle warfare goes back to Malaya in the 50s. ADF have experience in East Timor and Gulf. The East Timor experience and style would make them, in my opinion, eclipse the Americans who have always been very weak in counter-insurgency operations. I expect this to have improved..
iii) Some people like to point to the British military 'success' as reflective of good old fashioned Brit societal values etc etc.
This is an area where I'm sure many Australian critics would perhaps have you believe Australian forces are weakened...(!)

I recall a story on this forum of an Aussy journo asking in a conference what the opinion of Aussy forces in theatre was. This was seized on as being typical of the Australian self-doubt etc etc.(insert usual) Frankly I disagreed. Most people know that Aussie forces (especially SF) are well respected and if anything, this was a bit of a poke at the Americans - who often are not respected and are quite easy to wind up in this regard and come near the bottom of respected troops even if their ability to project firepower is unquestioned..the question was a bit of self-indulgence in my opinion.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

So, will this thread help speed up my visa application?..............................
Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Grayling; there is a sizeable criminal element in many armies. There are drug problems etc. Senior offrs often lament the change in attitude of new soldiers and there is debate on whether this reflects changing societies etc etc.

This is very true.

A few years ago I was at Colchester military prison and was talking to a Petty officer there.
I asked what crimes the inmates were there for and he replied that the Navy, Army and Airforce has approx 110000-130000 people in there ranks and if you compared this to a town of a similar size in the UK you would have the odd murder, rape, assaults and theft etc and it is no different in the forces. The same crimes are committed as they are on civvy st.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jond
This is very true.

A few years ago I was at Colchester military prison and was talking to a Petty officer there.
I asked what crimes the inmates were there for and he replied that the Navy, Army and Airforce has approx 110000-130000 people in there ranks and if you compared this to a town of a similar size in the UK you would have the odd murder, rape, assaults and theft etc and it is no different in the forces. The same crimes are committed as they are on civvy st.
The glass house...in some trades and arms a criminal record is almost a pre-requisite..
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tofster
So, will this thread help speed up my visa application?..............................
Nope, it will slow it down - I think my life has stopped since reading this incredibly boring thread Kept going because I thought it would get better - I should know by now
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:25 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I was just contemplating this when I put my daughter to bed. The real worth of an army can often be approximately determined by other i) armys' opinion of it and it's approx standing in a kind of world subjective .....................are not respected and are quite easy to wind up in this regard and come near the bottom of respected troops even if their ability to project firepower is unquestioned..the question was a bit of self-indulgence in my opinion.
Can honestly say that here in the US, absolutely no information is forthcoming about other nations' roles in Iraq. The UK may as well not be there for what we (do not) hear on the media.

I could not tell you which cities/regions we (UK) hold presently, or even the death toll, yet the US actions are splashed all over.

The average American has absolutely no concept of the British soldier except that his Government tells him we are allies and therefore he must be a "worthy combatant".... ....Then you get the comments about red coats.....

How far a swim is it to Oz ??????
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:34 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Wasn't Gallipoli a cock up by the Brits that cost the Aussies dearly?

Check the figures, the Brits lost over 21000 while the ANZACS lost some 11500.
The offensive was under the command of Kitchener and Hamilton the Sea Battle before it in the Dardanelles was Churchill, its a common mistake that is made.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Check the figures, the Brits lost over 21000 while the ANZACS lost some 11500.
The offensive was under the command of Kitchener and Hamilton the Sea Battle before it in the Dardanelles was Churchill, its a common mistake that is made.
O.K. here goes :-
Further advance on figures
Brits 43,000 killed
Anzacs 12000 killed
French 5000 killed.

Lord Kitchener in his wisdom gave the defeat to the Anzacs because the Brits had already had too many defeats.To let the public know about the loss of Brits would have been political suicide.
This obviously worked because over the mists of time many people do not even know their were any Brits their.

Last edited by canifixit; Jan 7th 2007 at 5:46 am. Reason: wrong name
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:18 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canifixit
O.K. here goes :-
Further advance on figures
Brits 43,000 killed
Anzacs 12000 killed
French 5000 killed.

Lord Kitchener in his wisdom gave the defeat to the Anzacs because the Brits had already had too many defeats.To let the public know about the loss of Brits would have been political suicide.
This obviously worked because over the mists of time many people do not even know their were any Brits their.
I really dont want an argument but im not sure where you got the figures from, the British casualties seem very high to me.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:29 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I've just seen on the news that half a dozen rocket launchers were stolen from the military and then sold to home grown terrorists! It seems to me a much better anti terrorist measure would be better padlocks rather than wasting time on ID cards and extending citizenship waiting periods, which deter terrorists how exactly?

I just hope they keep the shed locked up that contains the tank.
This sort of thing seems to occur in the OZ army now and then, mind you rocket launchers is a new one. Last time it was a couple of soldiers who stole and sold handguns and machine guns to the "Hell's Angels" if I recall rightly. Was a year or two back.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:44 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
This sort of thing seems to occur in the OZ army now and then, mind you rocket launchers is a new one. Last time it was a couple of soldiers who stole and sold handguns and machine guns to the "Hell's Angels" if I recall rightly. Was a year or two back.
It's ok Kiwi_child, I think we have all decided it's OK now, apparently they don't cause much damage and are probably best used as a door stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.