Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:08 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did the Oz army lose 6 anti tank rocket launchers?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
LMAO. (Not at the wars obviously.)
Atleast I would fail the new citizenship test in style.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:16 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
As someone else said earlier this sounds like an inside job, of the kind which could (and does) happen in any country. It does not show that the Australian Army has a lack of basic security.
Several people have made comments about the ADF being unprofessional and implied that they are not a 'proper' army - I hope that those comments were made purely as jokes, because the truth is that the ADF is very much a professional defense force, they work with British and other armed forces and exchange personnel, and they are investing a damn sight more proportionally in their forces than the British are in theirs.
You just must be an Australian, there is no other reason that you could think that having 6 RPG's stolen wasn't due to a lack of security but due to an inside job. I could be wrong and correct me if I am, but even if it was an inside job it is STILL a lack of security. It's not like they had an armoury full of muffins is it? Whilst I laud your attempt to gloss over and talk away and justify such a loss, I have to say that it's this kind of Australian mentality of not taking any fault or incompetence seriously that means the Country will never improve itself.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
You just must be an Australian, there is no other reason that you could think that having 6 RPG's stolen wasn't due to a lack of security but due to an inside job. I could be wrong and correct me if I am, but even if it was an inside job it is STILL a lack of security. It's not like they had an armoury full of muffins is it? Whilst I laud your attempt to gloss over and talk away and justify such a loss, I have to say that it's this kind of Australian mentality of not taking any fault or incompetence seriously that means the Country will never improve itself.
Arkon you do make me smile - whenever anything goes wrong in Australia it is PROOF that the whole country is the armpit of the world.
OK, in an ideal world there would be foolproof security ensuring that noone could possibly break the rules. In reality, all organisations have an element of human error - presumably there were people in this situation who were put in a position of trust and abused that position. Unfortunately that is not something that is unique to Australians.
In fact I am not officially Australian, not yet, but it gives me a glow inside to know that you think I could be one! When I get told to eff-off coz I am a blinking pom I will refer them to your beliefs.
I did just glance at the rest of your post with a view to refuting it, but I won't bother - I don't think anything I or anyone else says will change your views, which of course you are quite entitled to as long as you realise that your opinions are not necessarily fact. How's life on the farm going?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

I've just seen on the news that half a dozen rocket launchers were stolen from the military and then sold to home grown terrorists! It seems to me a much better anti terrorist measure would be better padlocks rather than wasting time on ID cards and extending citizenship waiting periods, which deter terrorists how exactly?
Yep, the whole thing is unacceptable. Should never have happened.

Pales into insignificance tho if the stories about missing Russian nukes are true. :scared:

I just hope they keep the shed locked up that contains the tank.
They've just traded the tank in on a bigger model. You should be able to pick it up cheap at the Govt auctions amongst the used cars. Then you could taken on the local rednecks Arkon "That isnt a gun....."

WW
Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:50 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
he'd have to have a licence before using it too, this is Australia after all. He could probably get one at Toombul Post Office off the nice lady who doesn't like the English. As long as he has a non-English passport for ID, she'll probably issue a "LIcence for use of rocket launching equipment" on the spot
Golly, Polly - you *are* getting cynical!

I wonder why.....
Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:18 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree totally with you in your last sentence, I think that you're making a bit of a mountain out of a hillock here - no one place is immune from criminals / terrorists / employees nicking things, including guns nukes and paperclips!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:15 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Also shouldn't Hitler and Mussolini shoulder some of the blame? It's easy with hindsight to say someone cocked up badly but I'm sure at the time they didn't know and thought they were doing the right thing.
In the film, Gallipoli, with Mel Gibson (great Australian film, unfortunately there hasnt been many since) British generals were represented as callous and incompetent, sending the gung-ho Aussie troops to their deaths when it was clear their battle strategy was not working. From what I have read, the whole battle was a complete folly, and opinion on England being the Mother Country began to errode from that moment on.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:19 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gardnma
That is exactly as I imagine Aussies to spend their time....doing daft sh!t like that.....
I thought British people prided themselves on their non-racist attitudes? Of acceptance and civility. Or does that only apply to every nationality BUT Australian?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by denver
I thought British people prided themselves on their non-racist attitudes? Of acceptance and civility. Or does that only apply to every nationality BUT Australian?
I have erased a wry remark and have replaced it with a much simpler answer (just in case.....)

Melons.

Sorry, what was the question again?

Last edited by gardnma; Jan 6th 2007 at 2:07 pm. Reason: Got bored and wanted something to do.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:58 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
If this forum's anything to go by I'd say it was an English issue, not a British one.

Still - thoroughly enjoyed this thread - thanks for the new signature Arkon.

Old Jan 6th 2007, 4:52 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

The rocket launchers really can't do that much damage apart from taking out a car or a tank if lucky, a bag of fertiliser mixed with other things can do much more damage like the Bali bombings, a rocket laucher fired at a building can only take out a single floor, while a fertiliser bomb can take out an entire building.
They said a rocket laucher fired at the lucas heights nuclear reactor would have no chance of destroying or causing a leak.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 5:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Wasn't Gallipoli a cock up by the Brits that cost the Aussies dearly?
It was Winnie Churchill's idea. Not his finest moment that's for sure.
For the record:
Aussie deaths at Gallipolli: 12000
UK deaths at Gallipolli: 35000
Old Jan 6th 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It was Winnie Churchill's idea. Not his finest moment that's for sure.
For the record:
Aussie deaths at Gallipolli: 12000
UK deaths at Gallipolli: 35000

If you take time to study the whole campaign, it can be seen that a lot of the Australian attacks, not all but a lot were on the orders of senior Australian Officers.

Very few senior British or Australian officers came out of Gallipoli with much credit.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:09 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
The rocket launchers really can't do that much damage apart from taking out a car or a tank if lucky, a bag of fertiliser mixed with other things can do much more damage like the Bali bombings, a rocket laucher fired at a building can only take out a single floor, while a fertiliser bomb can take out an entire building.
They said a rocket laucher fired at the lucas heights nuclear reactor would have no chance of destroying or causing a leak.
Well you certainly make me laugh and that's a rare thing these days. I will remember to post on you reply to any unfortunate victims if they ever figure out how to work the saftey switch. So just for the record LPP an RPG say fired at a gas storage facility or maybe an oil refinery won't do much damage? Or better yet fired into a kiddies creche. I must remember to make sure the boy is wearing his extra thick clothes next time he goes to creche just in case he needs to deflect a weak RPG round. Only in Australia! Next you will be saying it's a rubber round it fires!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:12 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
If this forum's anything to go by I'd say it was an English issue, not a British one.

Still - thoroughly enjoyed this thread - thanks for the new signature Arkon.

Scoff Hutch, and welcome back by the way, my current sparing partners even when combined don't come up to half your IQ. Like your sig by the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.