Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holidaying, aka Visting the relies, In England.

Holidaying, aka Visting the relies, In England.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:15 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Holidaying, aka Visting the relies, In England.

Originally Posted by ptlabs
Don't leave London because whites are the minority.

Don't come to Australia because whites are the majority.

I have an extremely low tolerance of "coloured" remarks, since I'm not white. However, I assure you I do not spit - whether it be at whites or at coloureds.

Peter
I think you (and others) are mis-reading the post.
JenSteve weren`t reporting from personal experience, but from an elderly relative. Im sure they don`t mean to infer that all coloured people are like that (well, I hope not anyway).

I really get annoyed by the overt racists, but equally I get annoyed by the people who take a factual comment and distort it to some racist remark. If JenSteve had said their relative had been spat on by Swedes alot in their area, would you have been up in arms about that?

Personally I think most kids in average London area`s are rude, obnoxious brats.... who cares what bloody colour they are.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry if anyone took my comments as racist, certainly wasn't meant that way. As per previous poster, most youngsters (12 - 18) are rude and have no respect for their elders (oops, sounding like my dad now). Colour, race etc has nothing to do with it

Have a good time in the UK wherever you end up going

Kevin
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Quite a lot of the time, I envisage, having my two youngest in tow, What are the current rules, or licensing laws, in regard to my wife and I indulging in a lunch time drink with our children present. ?

No problem if you find a place that serves meals. There are lots of family pubs around.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:08 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

London has stacks to see: when I used to bring my son over from the US we used to do as many of the following as we could:

A ride on a London Red Bus
A walk along the embankment
The Tower of London
London Zoo
Picnic in Kensington Gardens
Afternoon tea at The Ritz (if he'd been a good boy....!)

Anya.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:48 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hi OP,

Driving license - next time I go over to Blighty, I'm planning to drive as a tourist on my Aussie licence (which VicRoads assured me was perfectly OK).

For car hire, just shop around. You could do a 'compare & contrast' of the following:

http://www.avis.co.uk/

http://www.budget.co.uk/

Hertz are another big car rental firm, don't have a URL for them.

For traveling round London, the Underground web site is useful:

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/

Have a grand trip!

Anya.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:38 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
I really get annoyed by the overt racists, but equally I get annoyed by the people who take a factual comment and distort it to some racist remark. If JenSteve had said their relative had been spat on by Swedes alot in their area, would you have been up in arms about that?
And I get annoyed when people take hear-say information as factual. Especially when it has racial intonations as well.

Peter
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:01 am
Just Joined

adelaidemark is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also going over to the UK in June/July this year.

For car hire try www.driveaway.com.au they seem to be the cheapest and you can also get a free upgrade if you book and pay in full by 31 March.

You can use your aussie license over in the uk as a tourist. (i have done so numerous times.

Another good website is www.visitbritain.com, there are sometimes good deals and discounts for non-EU residents.

It might be worth joining the national trust in Australia. www.nationaltrust.org.au This gives you free and discounted entry to properties in the UK. This is cheaper than joining in the UK or paying individual entry prices.

Enjoy the trip!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:01 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried easycar for carhire? apart from driving round with a big orange sticker on the side of your car, we've always found them good, we go back to the uk next week for hols and are paying 8pound a day for their basic model (mercedes A class) and their mileage allowances are pretty generous. You have to book well in advance for the cheapest rates though, I booked that last october.

We wont be doing too much sightseeing as we've only been away for a year so we just want to catch up with family and friends. I envisage spending lots of time in Selfridges in Birmingham and lots of time in my best friends house drinking wine!!!!

Have a great trip,
Michaela
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:51 am
Coogee Rocks

London - a million things to do!
I prefer northen spain and Madrid to Barcelona a bit too touristy I found.

One thing to point out on an aussie passport you may nede to have a return or ongoing ticket when you enter the European country as some carriers wont take you..

I think you'll...get a 3 month tourist visa auotmaticaly when you enter?.. - somone can confirm that for me.. I remeber an Aussie friend of mine had real hassle re-entering the uk fomr a trip to Germany as they had just finished a working Hoilday visa but I dont think that will be a hassle for you!

Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again,

That national trust tip, is definietly one that I will follow up, as I can see us doing the tourist thing big time. Great tip about ongoing tickets, in Europe as well, thats reassuring actually, and driveaway and easycar. Exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear.

Stormz I didn't realise that Amsterdam, was that close to Calais, I mean I knew it wasn't far geographically, by aussie standards, that is. However I thought it took a lot longer than 5 hours to drive there. I've been lent/given some Holiday time share points, I'm going to discretely try and prompt the wife in the direction of Amsterdam now. As With those holiday time share packages, you have to spend a whole week in a place, With Amsterdam being so central to many places, and the locals speaking english mostly ???. I figure it would be a great place to base at least one full week in Europe in, with a hire car etc. I'm sure glad I havn't locked myself into anywhere yet. I doubt if I will get Amsterdam past my Wife, no matter how much I want to go there lol Unfortunately my only expereince of Amsterdam is a "boys" weekend away, and totally blurred, which is probably very convienent. I remember the place looked pretty good.

Anya, what beers would you recommend, I'll be heading for Fullers "london pride" ? All those years I lived in london, and I never ventured inside the Ritz, better give that a go as well lol !
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by adelaidemark
You can use your aussie license over in the uk as a tourist. (i have done so numerous times.
What would happen if you got stopped for speeding? Would you get points on your UK licence or would it be the same as if you were a tourist (not sure what that is).

Police normally radio in your details.... so your driving record/uk licence will probably be available to them.

So... I wonder which technically you are driving on.. UK or OZ. I would have thought it would default to UK if you hold a valid UK licence. Bit of a bummer if you get a 'producer' and you left it in Brisbane!

I would probably present the foreign licence when stopped as they may let you go because of the paperwork hassles
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

In London - I'd have to go see a show. Even with the kids something like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (is it still running?) would be fun. For a cheap day out in the school holidays we used to love walking over Westminster Bridge and down to the London Eye. Then we would walk along the South Bank, past the (ex) Wobbly Hungerford Foot Bridge and look over to St Pauls, pop in to the Tate Modern (free), Clink Museum, the Golden Hinde, London Bridge, stop for a coffee at Hays Galleria, HMS Belfast, the new GLA building and on up to Tower Bridge and over to St Katharines Dock and the Tower of London (definitely not free!). There are plenty of other places on the way as well - just depends on what interests you and how much money you want to spend but just walking and taking it in was enough for us sometimes.

Do double check the visa thing for France and Spain. Years ago Oz passports did need them but this may have changed. Either of your driving licences will be perfectly fine.

Have a great trip.

Julie
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:40 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
After a Long absence, over 15 years, My wife and I and the two youngest kids, are taking the time to have over 8 weeks in England, from late may through to July (bonus two summers in a row). I keep forgotting to ask Flight centre the following questions.

Car Hire, Do I need an up to date english licence ? I've got an old Swansea one still in my possession, which says it is valid until circa 2028. Plus of course a full Vic licence that I've held since I arrived here. What license do I need ??? Is there a better value hire company than 1car1 ?

Is it Really True, that I dont need a Visa, As my Family and I will be travelling exclusively on Aussie Passports, I dont want to have to go to the expense of renewing and applying for British Passports, My wife can only get a Aussie Passport I think, anyway. I Intend to spend some time In spain and france and Italy, Will Aussie passports be ok for those countries.

To try and make a decent thread of this. What after the dutfill and happy reunion "hopefully" of the multitude of relies, I've promised to see. Would you most like to do.

One thing that is on my agenda, and even a suprise to myself, But I've never been there, and feel like I've missed out. Is a Quick trip to Blackpool, (It's handy to where my Parents now live In Prestatyn ) Say 3 or 4 Days, I think the kids would like the theme park, or funfair side of the place. I've heard It's got outrageous night life, and wouldn't mind a big dose of basic English Northern Culture. Plus As I will be mostly Travelling between Mkeynes And Crawley. Just standing on London Bridge, and surveying and taking in the ambience of the area, that must have changed so much since I crossed the thing daily, Back all those years ago.

Oh and I'm Really looking forward to a couple of Pub crawls Down the Old Kent road, With My Bermondsey cousins, Which they have promised (threatened??) To take me on. :scared:

After a long while away what would you most like to do, after the Relies ? I'd Appreciate the Ideas. .

Hi Ozzie,

You will not be able to go to Prague on your Aussie passport without first getting a visa, from memory you can get into the countries you have stated.

ALthough your drivers licence will still be valid if the address is not correct you can get a hefty fine, the best bet would be to contact RACV before you go and get an international licence, it costs about $20 and you use that along with your VIC licence, you will have no probs hiring a car like that.

As you say once you have left there are all these places that you wish you had bothered to see before emmigrating, I didn't do the london Eye and really wish I had.

You wont recognise Crawley, in the last 8 years it has changed more than you can imagine the high street has a few more pubs and it doesn't look like tumble weed town after 7pm anymore.

Have a fantastic time
Kala
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:54 am
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I'm just amazed that people still use the term "coloureds"

Ozzie, we had Aussie friends over for 2 weeks. We lived centrally so because they wanted to see "everything" this is what we did.....

A long weekend in the Lake District and called in for a day in Blackpool (the look on their faces when they saw the sea was classic) But defo wouldn't stop for longer!

A day in Stratford upon Avon

A day at Warwick and its castle

A day in Bath/ Stone henge

A day in London (they went back and did another)

A day to the cotswolds (Boughton on the water, the Slaughters etc)

A day in Oxford

Thats it from the top of my head Have a great trip.

I have found the level of abuse that some ethnic people get in Australia to be shocking!! at our football training all the aussies shout to the two pakistani lads that train, pass the ball here ya Black B!! come on ya wog!! etc etc, i find it totally unacceptable and said so, i got shouted down and told "they dont mind" my reply "and if they did" ........... "well ***** em then" totally shocking.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 5:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lerop Pekill

I have found the level of abuse that some ethnic people get in Australia to be shocking!! at our football training all the aussies shout to the two pakistani lads that train, pass the ball here ya Black B!! come on ya wog!! etc etc, i find it totally unacceptable and said so, i got shouted down and told "they dont mind" my reply "and if they did" ........... "well ***** em then" totally shocking.
I am surprised that Aussies would be calling the Pakistanis "wogs". They may actually be recent British migrants. The term wog, here in Australia, is used mainly for another Mediteranean nationality. I found this very peculiar myself when I first arrived.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.