Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holidaying, aka Visting the relies, In England.

Holidaying, aka Visting the relies, In England.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holidaying, aka Visting the relies, In England.

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
I'm sure they don't have a problem with coloured people but experience shows that a small minority of coloured people in London have very little respect for old people. Recently I witnessed a group of teenage black lads push to the front of a bus queue, when a old lady asked them what they were doing they got very abusive and aggressive.

This may happen in any country but the previous poster was only expressing their experiences, is this not allowed?

Kevin
Kevin,

You can say the same about a small minority of non-coloured people in London have very little respect for old people. Coloured or non-coloured, doesn't matter. There are just some ignorant young people with no respect for the elderly or for anyone for that matter.

It wasn't the poster's experience. It was the poster's neighbours' parents' experience. When stories are told that way there's gotta be a fair amount of distortion. Fortunately most people reading the post are intelligent enough to know what it's all about.

As for your own experience of witnessing young black lads acting aggressive and abusive. Have you not witnessed young white lads and lasses behaving badly in public as well? Do you say I saw some kids fighting in the street? Or do you say I saw some white kids fighting in the street?

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Come to think of it I don't normally say coloureds, sounds like racial crap from the 70's
Anyway I realize that 99.9% of blacks, pakistani's, east europeans etc etc are decent people, so called 'white' people are far from perfect as well, just look at the problems they have caused around the world (Iraq for one)

As to where to visit, the north norfolk coast is really nice and not that far from Crawley, just stay away from the Blackpool of the east (Great Yarmouth) and you will be fine
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Can highly recommend going to Selhurst Park and watching the Eagles deny Man U 2 points and the premiership. The Jamaican Jerk Chicken place next to the service station is also great. I had a great walkaround London yesterday, taking in some of the galleries around Bond St, walking down regent street, down to St James Square, across to horse guard and down whitehall. Still not been mugged or spat at.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve
Your in for a shock, thats why so many are leaving.
Blackpool well does have some good night life if your under 20 and hell bent on getting stoned.
Prestatyn well last time I went there decided not to bother again, and I only lived across the water.
London our old neighbours parents live there and say that getting spat at by the coloured's is a daily occurance. Seems whites no longer live in London and are now a minority.
Hope the holiday goes well, I want to go back in a few years but it will be to cringe at how more downhill it has gone, but will be combining it with a European trip as well, I may only do England for less than 7 days.

Jenny
I dont usually get involved in this type of crap, but I just want to say to the OP we went to UK last year and had a brilliant bloody time, dont let this person put you off. It was worth every cent of the $10,000 in airfares and and hopefully we will go again this year.

We also visited London several times and not once did anyone spit on us, given my wifes SIL has beautiful coloured skin is besty mates with my wife I am surprised they were not covered in spit Frankly I have never read so much rubbish in my life.

Shocker of a post lady, lets hope your cultural understanding improves a little before you ever take a trip through our outback.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:42 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by hevs
I'm just amazed that people still use the term "coloureds"

Ozzie, we had Aussie friends over for 2 weeks. We lived centrally so because they wanted to see "everything" this is what we did.....

A long weekend in the Lake District and called in for a day in Blackpool (the look on their faces when they saw the sea was classic) But defo wouldn't stop for longer!

A day in Stratford upon Avon

A day at Warwick and its castle

A day in Bath/ Stone henge

A day in London (they went back and did another)

A day to the cotswolds (Boughton on the water, the Slaughters etc)

A day in Oxford

Thats it from the top of my head Have a great trip.
A top itinery!!!

Although Blenheim and Woodstock are as spectacular as Warwick and cheaper to enter than the castle....and it's on the road to Oxford where a great stopping off point is Hook Norton with one of Englands best Micro-breweries.

And although the Lakes are great, seeing you'll be in Prestatyn don't overlook your doorstep...Snowdonia is great with Betws-y-coed and Llangollen being probably the highlights from a town perspective. The scenery is amazing and there is a great cafe at the bottom of Snowdon itself run by a really friendly, and incredibly camp, pro-English (ie not Welsh separatist) guy.

And a good alternative pub crawl in London is on Upper Street starting at the Angel

And sorry Hevs but the first city on my list of must sees is York.

But otherwise, taking into account how much time you have, you can't go wrong with that itinery.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about your driving licence or need for visas and I am ignoring the crap racial bit.

But......

Definitely get a trip on the London Eye - well worth it. I don't think you will need more than a day in Blackpool but if close, give it a go. To remember the beauty of England get thee to the Lake District. The Eden Project down in Cornwall is interesting if you have time.

If you want to go to Spain, get a cheap Easyjet flight to Barcelona. Fab place. Don't bother with the costas - IMO they are crap.

Loads more obviously but I need more coffee
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:47 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fireeater
A top itinery!!!

Although Blenheim and Woodstock are as spectacular as Warwick and cheaper to enter than the castle....and it's on the road to Oxford where a great stopping off point is Hook Norton with one of Englands best Micro-breweries.

LOL Hook Norton was about 6 miles from where i lived. Have you seen/ heard of the Hookey band?

The Aussies wanted to see a real castle, nothing more spectacular than Warwick right on our door step, though Blenheim is beautiful

BTW we also did Broughton castle and Wroxton Abbey very reguarly, both are beautiful (Wroxton was where they filmed 3 men and a little lady, useless info i know)
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:54 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by hevs
LOL Hook Norton was about 6 miles from where i lived. Have you seen/ heard of the Hookey band?

The Aussies wanted to see a real castle, nothing more spectacular than Warwick right on our door step, though Blenheim is beautiful

BTW we also did Broughton castle and Wroxton Abbey very reguarly, both are beautiful (Wroxton was where they filmed 3 men and a little lady, useless info i know)
Yep, I worked in Stratford for over 10 years and have friends near Shipston where I've stayed loads...Ilmington hill. Hookey band are known to me but not that well...

Warwick is the best preserved Castle in Europe so you can't beat it, although I quite like Kenilworth Castle. And Stoneleigh Abbey near by is good....where the gunpowder plotters intended to take a royal hostage.

And you can't beat a pint of Old Hookey...
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:27 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ptlabs
I have an extremely low tolerance of "coloured" remarks, since I'm not white. However, I assure you I do not spit - whether it be at whites or at coloureds.

Peter
Well said, Peter. I was really digusted by JenSteve's remarks - and I'm officially 'white'.

Anya.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:29 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to Warwick Castle you'll have to pop in for a cup of tea as we are only 3 miles away I have probably even got some 2 for 1 vouchers somewhere.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:30 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

...Although Blenheim and Woodstock are as spectacular as Warwick and cheaper to enter than the castle....
Ah, but ISTR that Warwick has a better Torture Chamber

(tho the one at Salzburg Castle used to be even better)

Anya.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:34 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I worked in Stratford for over 10 years and have friends near Shipston where I've stayed loads...Ilmington hill. Hookey band are known to me but not that well...

aye, its a small old world isn't it? But i wouldn't want to paint it
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
After a Long absence, over 15 years, My wife and I and the two youngest kids, are taking the time to have over 8 weeks in England, from late may through to July (bonus two summers in a row). I keep forgotting to ask Flight centre the following questions.

Car Hire, Do I need an up to date english licence ? I've got an old Swansea one still in my possession, which says it is valid until circa 2028. Plus of course a full Vic licence that I've held since I arrived here. What license do I need ??? Is there a better value hire company than 1car1 ?

Is it Really True, that I dont need a Visa, As my Family and I will be travelling exclusively on Aussie Passports, I dont want to have to go to the expense of renewing and applying for British Passports, My wife can only get a Aussie Passport I think, anyway. I Intend to spend some time In spain and france and Italy, Will Aussie passports be ok for those countries.

To try and make a decent thread of this. What after the dutfill and happy reunion "hopefully" of the multitude of relies, I've promised to see. Would you most like to do.

One thing that is on my agenda, and even a suprise to myself, But I've never been there, and feel like I've missed out. Is a Quick trip to Blackpool, (It's handy to where my Parents now live In Prestatyn ) Say 3 or 4 Days, I think the kids would like the theme park, or funfair side of the place. I've heard It's got outrageous night life, and wouldn't mind a big dose of basic English Northern Culture. Plus As I will be mostly Travelling between Mkeynes And Crawley. Just standing on London Bridge, and surveying and taking in the ambience of the area, that must have changed so much since I crossed the thing daily, Back all those years ago.

Oh and I'm Really looking forward to a couple of Pub crawls Down the Old Kent road, With My Bermondsey cousins, Which they have promised (threatened??) To take me on. :scared:

After a long while away what would you most like to do, after the Relies ? I'd Appreciate the Ideas. .
Ozzieagle, we went to the UK & Europe last year for 5 weeks after almost 4 years. We travelled to France & Italy, no visa required for the boys & I (travelling on an Aussie passport). Cant help with Spain. You will be able to use either our UK license, or your aussie one.

As for what to see, hmmmmm lots of stuff worth seeing, Italy I would definitely see Rome & Venice as someone else suggested (thats where we went, absolutely fabulous); France, hmmmm, nowhere really I can suggest ; UK, I would go to Bath, Winchester Cathedral, Cambridge, Newmarket & Newmarket Races, Richmond (Yorkshire), Windsor, Windsor Great Park & Virginia Water, Chester, Snowdonia National Park (Wales) & Dublin.

Oh & of course a day or 2 to do the London sights like the London Eye, a double decker bus tour & a trip to Harrods (just so you can reassure yourself that there are people out there with more money than sense as well as no taste :scared: ).
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the great replies, and the reassurance about life in London today. I'll be definietly giving quite a few of them a go. The London Eye, Bath, Oxford And York, and the Snowdonia regions for sure. That easyJet tip to Barcelona may come in handy as well.

Quite a lot of the time, I envisage, having my two youngest in tow, What are the current rules, or licensing laws, in regard to my wife and I indulging in a lunch time drink with our children present. ?

It's a pity That the football will not be on, whilst there, (season stops second week of May doesnt it ?) But I've always promised myself that If Palace ever got to europe, I would be off, for at least a couple of games. Even if it meant refinancing the house. Somehow though I doubt if it's a serious threat LOL.

I'm going off to work reassured about the license stuff so thanks for that
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:08 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve99
Cant say for sure but I cant see it being an issue. I would think as you UK license is valid till 2028 it is still valid, I assume its an old paper one not one of the Photo card ones (which do still handily come with a paper part..two things to lose now!) I dont know if there was anything introduced to say you had to upgrade to one of these types? What address is on the license, one you or a family member still ownes or lives at? Maybe have a look around the DVLA website for info. (www.dvla.gov.uk)

I would imagine your Aussie license is also valid as an international license, surely people who have never held british licenses can rent hire cars without a problem?

Regards
Steve
iirc from when I moved to the UK, the Aus licence is valid for 12 months. Getting to/from Europe on an Aus passport is np.

I`d check out things in London for a few days... Natural History Musuem (free), British Museum (free), London Eye etc.
It depends what you`re into, but we like going to the castles in the UK, especially the ones in Kent & Sussex (Bodiam, Scotney etc).
Cornwall (Perrenporth) is great.
Wales (Anglesey) is great.
Loads of the UK is great to visit.
Europe: Amsterdam is cool. If you drive there (it only takes 4 - 6 hours from Calais) you could stop off at Gent to check out the excellent castle there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.