Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

helping each other

helping each other

Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default helping each other

Right i know this will cause a bit of a stir, but i have just read a couple of threads on here, new expats starting out their new life.
Why is there no one at the other end to help them, your all good at giving advice, now put it into practice.
I have had expats come over and stay with us, and be there for them, dont you remember how hard it was at first because i do.
We are picking up a family from airport 2 hours away next week, 1 in the morning, and they will stay with us until they find somewhere.
I have found rentals for people, and just been a friendly face at the other end.
I know a lot of others help out as well, so why are there families coming over and nobody there for them. Come on lets just try and help a bit more.
Denise
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice
Default Re: helping each other

Great idea, esp for those with kids who don't have relations available to help out in emergencies.

They also did something along the same lines in japan ...linky
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:45 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

that is very nice of you. i know of plenty of people on here who have done the same and had a few slaps in the coupon
nuff said
Originally Posted by cranni
Right i know this will cause a bit of a stir, but i have just read a couple of threads on here, new expats starting out their new life.
Why is there no one at the other end to help them, your all good at giving advice, now put it into practice.
I have had expats come over and stay with us, and be there for them, dont you remember how hard it was at first because i do.
We are picking up a family from airport 2 hours away next week, 1 in the morning, and they will stay with us until they find somewhere.
I have found rentals for people, and just been a friendly face at the other end.
I know a lot of others help out as well, so why are there families coming over and nobody there for them. Come on lets just try and help a bit more.
Denise
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

i couldnt agree more denise,we stayed with a lovely family when we first arrived it was such a help,and since we ve had several families stay with us for the first few weeks,it gives me a great deal of satisfaction to know that im hepling someone out in the difficult first few weeks when they arrive,theres so much to do and take in,its to easy to forget what it was like

tracey
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
that is very nice of you. i know of plenty of people on here who have done the same and had a few slaps in the coupon
nuff said
Sorry to sound stupid, but what exactly is a "slap in the coupon"? Is this a good or bad thing?
The helping people out thing sounds really nice. We are looking for a 4 bedroom house when we get to Perth so we can do the same sort of thing. We really only need 3 but seeing how our families will probably not (read never) come over to see us, we thought how maybe we could use the 4th bedroom to have the new friends we met here on BE stay with us for a few days till they get sorted when they first arrive.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Denise
I'm always willing to help out new people, and I think there are many others on the site who do the same. Even if its not practical to offer accommodation (as in our case) then even just being there as someone to talk to and get together with - the new arrivals only have to ask, or make it known that they are here and lost. I've had my address used as a contact for shippers and things like that - willing to help out when I can
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Twin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud of

Denise
In our short time here we have found the locals spot on whereas the expats have in general been quite unapproachable (few words and that's been it) and unhelpful, this includes a Kiwi family that we have met also.
As I said, the Australians have been full of advice and encouragement while taking their hats off to you for making such a huge step in life.

My husband pointed this out initially. Before anyone starts, I meet a lot of expats week in week out through my work so this isn't just a one off experience. We have friends here at the moment on a validation trip and the first thing we want to do is help in anyway we can.

Lynn
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes just a point in the right direction is enough,like knowing whats shops to get what from,a refrence for a rental that sort of thing every little helps
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:17 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dotnron
Sorry to sound stupid, but what exactly is a "slap in the coupon"? Is this a good or bad thing?
a slap in the face.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twin Peaks
In our short time here we have found the locals spot on whereas the expats have in general been quite unapproachable (few words and that's been it) and unhelpful, this includes a Kiwi family that we have met also.
As I said, the Australians have been full of advice and encouragement while taking their hats off to you for making such a huge step in life.

My husband pointed this out initially. Before anyone starts, I meet a lot of expats week in week out through my work so this isn't just a one off experience. We have friends here at the moment on a validation trip and the first thing we want to do is help in anyway we can.

Lynn
Whereabouts are you though? We can't help if we don't know where you are!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:36 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

I would willingly help any expat out as i know how difficult it is starting out in a new country, however not many people pick Mildura to live as it is fairly rural, but if anyone was coming here, holidays or otherwise, i would gladly help out

party at my house
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Twin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Whereabouts are you though? We can't help if we don't know where you are!
I'm not on about members of the BE site, my comments were about members of the general expat community.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:38 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
I would willingly help any expat out as i know how difficult it is starting out in a new country, however not many people pick Mildura to live as it is fairly rural, but if anyone was coming here, holidays or otherwise, i would gladly help out

party at my house
I can vouch for fionaandmalc as being great hosts. I've braved Mildura
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be more than happy to help people out in Melbourne but the problem is that most people seem to want to move to the Eastern suburbs that I know nothing about as I have never lived there

If anyone wants to come stay in our place out in the country next year when it is built tho you are more than welcome
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:44 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
I would be more than happy to help people out in Melbourne but the problem is that most people seem to want to move to the Eastern suburbs that I know nothing about as I have never lived there

If anyone wants to come stay in our place out in the country next year when it is built tho you are more than welcome

I'm more than happy to help anyone out whos moving in this direction - I know there are a couple who are as I've already been in touch with them via PM. If you need any help or advice about this area (Richmond/Windsor NSW) just ask! . I'm at home during the day while my little un is at school so I've got plenty of time on my hands!!

Cheers

Rach xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.